Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Script Idea, Roofs

First i'll mention that I have no idea how to write scripts, I just play around with them. So I thought it would be neat to have Roofs added to the Token layer that would auto move to the GM layer when a Player token moved into it's space. I was thinking it could work like "It's a Trap" script only backwards. Fairly basic so that it could add a layer of depth. Functions that I think would be needed: Able to Identify Player tokens from NPCs Maybe an "Always on top" token order on the Objects Layer Thoughts? Maybe one of you Script-omancers could bang one out in your spare time? :)
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
That's something I've actually considered. I think you'd want to move them off the map so the GM can see the interior more clearly. Also, it would be nice if you swapped in some Dynamic Lighting as well. You'd need to be able to define zones, probably using the DL lines. Also would want to know where doors are so you can only allow valid entry. 
  I just made a main map (ground) as the "map layer". Then I put two "Token" layer objects on top of each other: Let's call them "Building" and "Roof". Both are on the token layer but "IsDrawing" is enabled for both. This makes it easy to access when on the token layer and doesnt conflict with the map itself for what's next:  When a player walks in you can R-click on the roof and click "To Back". When they leave R-click on the Building token and click "To Back" again and the roof appears on top again. Both token/drawings would have to be the same size, of course. Sure it isnt "automated" for when a PC walks in, but that probably happens infrequently enough that this workflow hopefully suffices.    For more realism you could also make the "Building" enclosed outside of light so only the player that enters "sees" it. I don't know of a way to make some tokens only seeable by some characters.. (So only the character that entered see the roof removed where the other players only see the roof). A quick search on the forums and features didn't yield the ability to do this. That would be cool though so that, for example, players with stealth could see their own token but other players couldn't see it.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
For the stealth character not being seeable by other characters, there actually is a workaround. Make the token a rollable table token with one side being the character's normal token and the other being just a transparent .png. Make sure the token's advanced settings are set so that the aura's are editable by players but not visible. When the player goes stealth, they flip the side of the token to the transparent png and add a 0-foot radius aura to it. Because they can edit the aura they can see it, but players who don't control the token won't see it, making him effectively invisible to the rest of the party. I do the same thing for poltergeists and other creatures that at some point or another are invisible so that I can control everything without having to flip back and forth between the token and gm layers.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
You can also just use Bump.  =D