Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Difference in performance when using Dynamic Lighting between GM and player client?

Does anyone know why there is such a drastic performance difference between the player client and GM client when using Dynamic Lighting? I have a large map, and it has a lot of light sources, so I can understand some performance issues.  But when I'm using the GM client everything (scrolling, moving tokens, etc) is as smooth as silk.  Yet if the only thing I do is log in as a Player (same window), the performance slows to a crawl. In theory, it should be doing the same amount of calculations for both the PC and Player client.  (Maybe more on the GM side since I can see more light sources.) PS  If I turn off Dynamic Lighting, the performance is fine in both clients.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Don't have an answer for you, but I don't think this is purely a Roll20 issue. I have some very complicated DL maps with lots of lines, lots of sources, and moving sources from the Aaron's Torch script and I run just fine as GM or player on my maps. What browser are using? and do you have any extensions/add-ons?
I've used both Chrome and Firefox to test it. As for extensions, I have almost none.  I have none in Firefox (I only installed it to test if the performance hit occurred there).  In Chrome, I have Adblock Plus, the Google ones that come pre-installed w/ Chrome, and that's it. How large are your maps?  Mine is 200x250.  So I expect a performance hit.  But not the extreme difference between the GM and Player client.  Especially since the GM client is smooth.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
My largest complex DL map is 75x49 units (standard 70px unit), so nowhere near the size of your map. Couple ideas on what might be causing it (I have no idea if any of these are actually the case): Maybe DL affects how much of the page is loaded at a time; so players have to load a new map section every time they move and the system has to calculate which sections to load based on their vision each time as well If you have a map sized 200x250, and you have lots of DL lines restricting vision, then the system would need to calculate vision for a a great many more points than in my 75x49 map What is your setting for GM opacity of the dynamic lighting? Does your GM log in performance decrease if you increase that opacity or if you use Ctrl/CMD-L to view from a token's vision?
I had the same thoughts.  The opacity of the GM client doesn't affect performance.  Using CTRL-L does not affect performance either.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Welp, that pretty much eliminates that second possibility then.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Have you tried joining as a player that is not a GM logged in as Player?
The Aaron said: Have you tried joining as a player that is not a GM logged in as Player? Just tried it. Same performance issue.  Good idea though.
Gold
Forum Champion
Three of Swords said: In theory, it should be doing the same amount of calculations for both the PC and Player client.  (Maybe more on the GM side since I can see more light sources.) I would have expected the opposite, like you said "in theory". My GM view shows waaaay more light sources, overlapping lights, and underlying map graphics, it logically seems like the GM view would be significantly more processor intensive. I am a maker of fairly large map pages with dynamic light, today I'm on a page 180x200. I will try to test and compare with player experience to determine if my game has the same issue.