Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Major Latency and Loading Issues

One of the groups that I'm a part of, The Living Guild Campaign, is having some pretty serious ongoing issues with lag and loading issues. &nbsp;The platform frequently redboxes for everyone playing (on average about twice per game), sometimes tokens get locked or won't copy/paste display for some players, sometimes all of the grids disappear and everything is unbound from the grid and sometimes the loading screen gets bogged down to the point where a player might take a full 5 minutes to actually load into the campaign (or reload after a redbox). This is not an issue any one player has experienced. &nbsp;It is groupwide with everyone in the group noticing that the problems are steadily increasing. &nbsp;We have players that are all over the world using multiple different systems and browsers and no group seems any more or less effected than the others. &nbsp;We do not use the in-game video or voice tools. We assume that the problem is coming from the size of our group, but we have been unable to get a clear picture of what we might do to try and solve the problem. &nbsp;There are a ton of small games on Roll20, and then their is our campaign. &nbsp;We have 120 players and an enormous amount of resources in the campaign (700+ journal entries and 600+ maps). What we want to know is whether there is a metric for what should be the expected amount of resources in a campaign before it starts to shudder and hiccup every session. &nbsp;If we cut the campaign in half would that be enough to slow the problem? &nbsp;In thirds? &nbsp;Is there a way to turn off or modify settings or permissions to help cope with the size of our campaign? &nbsp;We are running into a problem where several of the DMs are finding the platform either unusable or, at minimum, very frustrating as we are constantly smacking our heads on redboxes, time outs and 20 second long lag spikes between clicking a button and something happening. &nbsp;Any help would be greatly appreciated. &nbsp;If there is any way we could get a Dev to take a look at the campaign and see what might be going on under the hood so we can try to have an idea of what solutions might have an effect, I would really appreciate it. Thanks, Gary M The Guild Living Campaign <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/533427/guild-living-campaign" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/533427/guild-living-campaign</a>
Gid
Roll20 Team
Gary M said: We have 120 players and an enormous amount of resources in the campaign (700+ journal entries and 600+ maps). I doubt that the problem is the 120 players (unless you're trying to run a WebRTC conference with all of them at once). 700+ journals and the 600+ maps is MASSIVE! That is far beyond what we ever intended for a single Roll20 game to really encompass. I suspect you've hit the upper threshold of how large a game can be before it just simply stops being responsive for you and your players. I unfortunately don't have a satisfactory answer beyond creating a new game as a fresh start and transferring content that you still need from this game to the new one (utilizing the&nbsp; Transmogrifier and the&nbsp; Character Vault will make this a lot easier).
Is there a way I can get a slightly more clear answer on what the threshold is? Like do we need to cut the campaign in half or do we need to cut in thirds?
Gid
Roll20 Team
That threshold varies depending on the user in your group with the slowest connection and/or slowest/oldest computer and how much they can reliable download to their browser client before they see lag. Because of that variable, it's really hard to give you a solid answer to that question. We've found that the most taxing elements of a game are Character Journals with Attributes and Abilities. Your game has minimized that impact by not having a character sheet attached to your game, and that's likely why you were able to have a game with 700+ of them. With a sheet, I suspect you'd have hit this lag spike a lot earlier. Pages with a lot of images can be taxing as well, but we've set it up so that a page only uses resources when it's displayed on the client's Tabletop. You can't cut corners like that with Character entries unfortunately as the Attribute data must be retained throughout the game once its launched.