Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[5EOGL] Magic Missile

Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
So, I've been trying to find a nice version of a Magic Missile implementation.  The 5E OGL just rolls three missiles together, which is fine, but I can think of plenty of situations where you might want to separate them onto other targets.  Is there a good implementation of this out there that isn't API driven? I'm thinking of building one to put into Abilities, but that gets the problem of dealing with the higher levels and creating lots of 'hollow targets' if you want to direct them. (i.e. if there could be 5 different targets, you can't select 3 of 5, you have to select all 5) Help?
Technically per Mearls and Crawford, you're only supposed to roll 1d4+1 once and apply that damage to each creature hit per missile.
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
SkyCaptainXIII said: Technically per Mearls and Crawford, you're only supposed to roll 1d4+1 once and apply that damage to each creature hit per missile. Okay. But is there also then a nice non-API way to allocate the N-targets without going @{target|Token_n|token_name} more than three times?
Use a query. Try searching Silvyre magic missile on the forums. He has one already made somewhere.
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
I tried finding it and couldn't find anything useful I could see.

Edited 1490160780
I made a set of macros using ability command buttons for magic missile that will handle multiple targets and missiles per target, no API required. It takes 67 total macros to do it and I wrote it for the Community contributed sheet so I can't recommend it, but if you want I can share the character with you. Just PM me. 
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Ed S. said: I made a set of macros ... It takes 67 total macros to do it ...  Eeeeeeeep
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can just do 1d4+1 and click it multiple times. For Shaped I created spell repeats for this pupose, but you could manually setup a macro to output 1d4+1 on OGL quite easily.
My sister needed a macro for magic missile so this is what I came up with.. **Bolts of mystic force streak from your fingertips...** ?{spell slot|1, Bolt2[[1d4+1]] Bolt3[[1d4+1]]| 2,Bolt2[[1d4+1]] Bolt3[[1d4+1]] Bolt4[[1d4+1]] | 3,Bolt2[[1d4+1]] Bolt3[[1d4+1]] Bolt4[[1d4+1]] Bolt5[[1d4+1]] | 4,Bolt2[[1d4+1]] Bolt3[[1d4+1]] Bolt4[[1d4+1]] Bolt5[[1d4+1]] Bolt6[[1d4+1]] | 5,Bolt2[[1d4+1]] Bolt3[[1d4+1]] Bolt4[[1d4+1]] Bolt5[[1d4+1]] Bolt6[[1d4+1]] Bolt7[[1d4+1]] | 6,Bolt2[[1d4+1]] Bolt3[[1d4+1]] Bolt4[[1d4+1]] Bolt5[[1d4+1]] Bolt6[[1d4+1]] Bolt7[[1d4+1]] Bolt8[[1d4+1]] | 7,Bolt2[[1d4+1]] Bolt3[[1d4+1]] Bolt4[[1d4+1]] Bolt5[[1d4+1]] Bolt6[[1d4+1]] Bolt7[[1d4+1]] Bolt8[[1d4+1]] Bolt9[[1d4+1]] | 8,Bolt2[[1d4+1]] Bolt3[[1d4+1]] Bolt4[[1d4+1]] Bolt5[[1d4+1]] Bolt6[[1d4+1]] Bolt7[[1d4+1]] Bolt8[[1d4+1]] Bolt9[[1d4+1]] Bolt10[[1d4+1]] | 9,Bolt2[[1d4+1]] Bolt3[[1d4+1]] Bolt4[[1d4+1]] Bolt5[[1d4+1]] Bolt6[[1d4+1]] Bolt7[[1d4+1]] Bolt8[[1d4+1]] Bolt9[[1d4+1]] Bolt10[[1d4+1]] Bolt11[[1d4+1]]} *"Ooh that's going to sting."* In the attack & spells section you just create an attack called Magic Missile and place 1d4+1 in the damage section and the above in the description box. The result is that you get  each individual bolt and not the total sum. "Quick check his pulse, his arm must be around here somewhere."
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Andrew (Halfling Gypsy) said: I've been trying to find a nice version of a Magic Missile implementation. If/when I don't go the route SkyCaptain pointed out and I feel that I need to use targeted Attributes alongside the missiles, I'd probably go with Ed's strategy, except with API Command Buttons (your specialty!) instead of Ability Command Buttons so as to keep everything within one macro. If/when I'm using the Shaped sheet, I'd go with Kryx's solutions. Otherwise, I'd use a macro just like Anthony H. posted. :)
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Silvyre said: Andrew (Halfling Gypsy) said: I've been trying to find a nice version of a Magic Missile implementation. If/when I don't go the route SkyCaptain pointed out and I feel that I need to use targeted Attributes alongside the missiles, I'd probably go with Ed's strategy, except with API Command Buttons (your specialty!) instead of Ability Command Buttons so as to keep everything within one macro. If/when I'm using the Shaped sheet, I'd go with Kryx's solutions. Otherwise, I'd use a macro just like Anthony H. posted. :) lol.  Silvyre for president.
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Silvyre said: Andrew (Halfling Gypsy) said: I've been trying to find a nice version of a Magic Missile implementation. If/when I don't go the route SkyCaptain pointed out and I feel that I need to use targeted Attributes alongside the missiles, I'd probably go with Ed's strategy, except with API Command Buttons (your specialty!) instead of Ability Command Buttons so as to keep everything within one macro. If/when I'm using the Shaped sheet, I'd go with Kryx's solutions. Otherwise, I'd use a macro just like Anthony H. posted. :) I've been thinking of a Template and API Command variation of Anthony's.  Basically nest inside the API Tables for different levels.
Vince said: Silvyre said: Andrew (Halfling Gypsy) said: I've been trying to find a nice version of a Magic Missile implementation. If/when I don't go the route SkyCaptain pointed out and I feel that I need to use targeted Attributes alongside the missiles, I'd probably go with Ed's strategy, except with API Command Buttons (your specialty!) instead of Ability Command Buttons so as to keep everything within one macro. If/when I'm using the Shaped sheet, I'd go with Kryx's solutions. Otherwise, I'd use a macro just like Anthony H. posted. :) lol.  Silvyre for president. Very diplomatic ain't he?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I think the point I raised was missed. Here for example is that same setup that follows RAW done on the OGL sheet:
RAW is one roll and same damage for all missiles, as per Sage Advice. Stop giving out bad info. 
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You're correct. I only showed 4 outputs as some people prefer that method. Pure RAW and a common variant are possible with it.

Edited 1490449069
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
This will work as well. Make sure all "@" other than the first are replaced "& commat;" works (if you remove the space). Make sure all square brackets within the table sections are replaced as well. I use '& lsqb;' and '& rsqb;' (again removing the spaces). /w @{selected|token_name} [3 Missiles](! / &{template:default} {{name=Magic Missile}} {{subtags=*@{selected|token_name} fires a group of magic projectiles. * }} {{Damage = [[1d4+1]]}} {{Target 1 = @{target|Target 1|token_name} }}{{Target 2 = @{target|Target 2|token_name} }}{{Target 3 = @{target|Target 3|token_name} }} ) [4 Missiles](! / &{template:default} {{name=Magic Missile}} {{subtags=*@{selected|token_name} fires a group of magic projectiles. * }} {{Damage = [[1d4+1]]}} {{Target 1 = @{target|Target 1|token_name} }}{{Target 2 = @{target|Target 2|token_name} }}{{Target 3 = @{target|Target 3|token_name} }} {{Target 4 = @{target|Target 4|token_name} }}) [5 Missiles](! / &{template:default} {{name=Magic Missile}} {{subtags=*@{selected|token_name} fires a group of magic projectiles. * }} {{Damage = [[1d4+1]]}} {{Target 1 = @{target|Target 1|token_name} }}{{Target 2 = @{target|Target 2|token_name} }}{{Target 3 = @{target|Target 3|token_name} }} {{Target 4 = @{target|Target 4|token_name} }} {{Target 5 = @{target|Target 5|token_name} }}) [6 Missiles](! / &{template:default} {{name=Magic Missile}} {{subtags=*@{selected|token_name} fires a group of magic projectiles. * }} {{Damage = [[1d4+1]]}} {{Target 1 = @{target|Target 1|token_name} }}{{Target 2 = @{target|Target 2|token_name} }}{{Target 3 = @{target|Target 3|token_name} }} {{Target 4 = @{target|Target 4|token_name} }} {{Target 5 = @{target|Target 5|token_name} }} {{Target 6 = @{target|Target 6|token_name} }}) [7 Missiles](! / &{template:default} {{name=Magic Missile}} {{subtags=*@{selected|token_name} fires a group of magic projectiles. * }} {{Damage = [[1d4+1]]}} {{Target 1 = @{target|Target 1|token_name} }}{{Target 2 = @{target|Target 2|token_name} }}{{Target 3 = @{target|Target 3|token_name} }} {{Target 4 = @{target|Target 4|token_name} }} {{Target 5 = @{target|Target 5|token_name} }} {{Target 6 = @{target|Target 6|token_name} }} {{Target 7 = @{target|Target 7|token_name} }}) [8 Missiles](! / &{template:default} {{name=Magic Missile}} {{subtags=*@{selected|token_name} fires a group of magic projectiles. * }} {{Damage = [[1d4+1]]}} {{Target 1 = @{target|Target 1|token_name} }}{{Target 2 = @{target|Target 2|token_name} }}{{Target 3 = @{target|Target 3|token_name} }} {{Target 4 = @{target|Target 4|token_name} }} {{Target 5 = @{target|Target 5|token_name} }} {{Target 6 = @{target|Target 6|token_name} }} {{Target 7 = @{target|Target 7|token_name} }}{{Target 8 = @{target|Target 8|token_name} }})