Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Having trouble replicating a bullseye lantern from 5e with Torch.js

Sam
Sheet Author
According to the PHB a bullseye lantern casts bright light out to 60 feet and then another 60 feet is dim light for a total of 120 feet of light in a 60-foot cone. Which I imagine is a 60-degree cone. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The problem is that I cannot get the angle to work. Using Torch 0.8.9 I can't seem to get the angle of the light to change from the default of 360. According to the help it says that the syntax is  !flicker-on [<Radius> [<Dim Start> [<All Players> [<Token ID>|<--Angle> ... ]]]] !torch [<Radius> [<Dim Start> [<All Players> [<Token ID>|<--Angle> ... ]]]] I have tried doing the following !torch 120 60 on @{selected|token_id} 60 !flicker-on 120 60 on @{selected|token_id} 60 !flicker-on 120 60 - - 60 !flicker-on 120 - - - 60 Nothing seems to work.to change the angle, what am I failing to do?

Edited 1490291889
PaprikaCC
Pro
API Scripter
I'm guessing it's '--angle <angle value>' !torch 120 60 --angle 60 on @{selected|token_id I was wrong D:
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
What Paprika said! Sorry that help is a bit confusing.
Sam
Sheet Author
PaprikaCC said: I'm guessing it's '--angle <angle value>' !torch 120 60 --angle 60 on @{selected|token_id} This also fails to work. It still defaults the radius to 360

Edited 1490290559
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Oh!  I should read more carefully.  Try this: !torch 120 60 on --60 @{selected|token_id}

Edited 1490292134
Sam
Sheet Author
Thank you! that worked. Ah sad, the flicker-on doesn't rotate to match the token if you rotate the token so you change where it's pointing.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
ah, interesting! I can fix that, actually... Update 0.8.10 -- Changed Flickers to respect the rotation of their parent. (Thanks Samuel T. ) Pull the latest from here:&nbsp; <a href="https://github.com/shdwjk/Roll20API/blob/master/To" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/shdwjk/Roll20API/blob/master/To</a>...
Sam
Sheet Author
Thank you Aaron! I've tested it and it works
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
sweet. =D &nbsp;Happy Rolling!
How does flickering work exactly? &nbsp;Does torch have to be on as well? &nbsp; I've never seen it work.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
The !torch and !snuff commands adjust the lighting on a token. The !flicker-on and !flicker-off commands have the same syntax, but create a transparent token on the DL layer that provides light for the token, "flickers". &nbsp;Those flickers are adjusted randomly ever 1/3 second with the following changes: flicker (x,y) location +/- 2 pixels from object (x,y) location flicker light radius +/- 10% from set light radius flicker light angle +/- 5º from set light angle rotation is always set to match the rotation of the object. To view this, go to a token that you have a light source on (just so you know the DL is working for it) and with it selected run these commands: !snuff !flicker-on This will be most obvious if you have a token next to a wall with a small gap in it, something like this (@ is a flickering token, - are walls): ---- ------ @ ------ ---- The movement of the flicker should cause some pretty dramatic effects though the gaps.

Edited 1492186393
So flicker should really only be used by say wall torches then not PCs?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
It will work fine for PCs as well. &nbsp;The flicker might lag 1/3 second behind or so when you move a token, but will be moved correctly on the next update. &nbsp;They do cause a bit of lag if you have many light sources or complicated dynamic lighting lines.
FFS... I never even realized the flicker option, and I'm using Torch since.. ah, the dawn of time. Just switched all the torches in a dungeon to flicker - and it looks epic. :-O
Oh nice, adding the pixel offset to the flicker is genius. Never would have considered that myself.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Thanks! &nbsp;That was my addition to the idea. I gave credit in the help to the fellow who came up with the radius change idea. :)