Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Players can see game map before dynamic lighting is applied

Magik
Sheet Author
I'm a player in game&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/684356" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/684356</a>. When joining the game and viewing the map as it is loading, I can see the full game map for a second and then the dynamic lighting is applied to hide what I shouldn't see. This seems like a flaw in the order of processing. Shouldn't the dynamic lighting be applied first and then the game map be placed under it just to prevent this? Thank you, Magik
Gid
Roll20 Team
This is a WebGL issue that your browser is running into. When your client loads a new page, all the graphics are processed first and then the dynamic lighting is drawn afterwards. Typically this is suppose to process so quickly, that the human eye never has the chance to the graphics load on the page before the dynamic lighting is already in place. What you're running into is either your browser having an issue with WebGL, a third party browser extension is running in the background and slowing down this process, or it's an internet speed or computer RAM issue. If you're still seeing issues after following these steps: Step 1: Make sure to use the right browser Please check if these issues persist when using both Chrome and Firefox. Step 2: Ensure that there are no extensions/addons interfering with Roll20 Please disable all add-ons/extensions and anti-virus programs. Step 3: Clear your cache Then I would recommend a workaround where your GM enables Fog of War on the page until your browser has successfully drawn the dynamic lighting over the Page. Then when that's done, the GM can disable Fog of War or use it in combination with DL to ensure you can't see the play areas you're not suppose to yet.
Magik
Sheet Author
It seems that we both agree that the order of processing the graphics and dynamic lighting is in an order that has the possibility of revealing information that shouldn't be. The code should be written to secure data; regardless of what browser and its required resources are involved. I stand by my original claim that the order of processing should be reversed in this case to secure the data.