Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Chat Archive Question

keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I'm considering clearing my Chat Archive (not log) as a step toward improving performance. My whole archive, graphics and all, is just under 40MB. Is that large enough to have a performance hit? I'd rather not delete the record* without need. *I'll save a local copy first, of course. I'm not crazy...
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I can't speak from a known performance related perspective but I generally begin to experience an increase in lag when running with a full chat archive. As a general rule I back mine up into a text doc once a month and clear it out to keep it trim. ...I also have a habit of doing live testing in my main game on upcoming features/encounters and have to clear the logs then to stop my nosy players from wondering why there is a power card in the chat for a beholder attack...! In short, clearing the archive can't hurt... ;)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That's true. I was surprised that the chat saved itself with all of its attendant CSS and graphics. It's probably a good idea in any case, since my next map is the largest and  most complex I've ever run on roll20.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
keithcurtis said: That's true. I was surprised that the chat saved itself with all of its attendant CSS and graphics. That's a feature of your browser, not Roll20. =)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ah, I had a vague memory of just pushing a button. I must have pressed Save and chosen complete page. Derp.