Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

In Rugged Reroll what tells the system to only prompt a query once?

Sam
Sheet Author
Hi guys, I've been reading up on Rugged Reroll because I am way excited for what it will bring but sadly I'm not a mentor yet so I haven't been able to test it out yet. My question is in Rugged Reroll, if it notices the same query used multiple times it will only ask it once and then use the results in every other place the query is called. How does it differentiate between the same query and a different one? If I had a query that said ?{Power Attack} would I have to use that wording and style exactly if I wanted Rugged Reroll to seem as the same or would I be able to supply a default value. Example, my first iteration would be ?{Power Attack} while my second one would be ?{Power Attack|0}. Thanks
Gauss
Forum Champion
It is triggered off of the name, not the entire query. So in your example the first one takes precedence and the default value of the second would never come into play. If there is a difference in what you want a query to do you should query with a different name. If you give a more complete example of your Macro I can help you further.
Sam
Sheet Author
Okay so I have this macro here that handles almost every aspect of my melee attacks. /me swings his sword to strike at his foe [[1d20+@{BAB} +@{Dex} +2+5+?{Attack Bonus|0} + ?{Power Attacking?|0} *@{Power Attack} ]] vs AC. [[2d6+@{Str}+?{Damage Bonus|0}+ ?{Power Attacking?|0} *@{Power Damage}+ ?{Two Handed Attack?|0} *(floor(@{Str}*1.5)-@{Str})+ ?{Two Handed Power Attack?|0} *(floor(@{Power Damage}*1.5)-@{Power Damage})]] damage. Based on what I think I understand the ?{Power Attacking?|0} will replace the second ?{Power Attacking?|0} . But the ?{Two Handed Power Attack?|0} will not be replaced by either the ?{Power Attacking?|0} query nor the ?{Two Handed Attack?|0} query. So this macro would go from four queries to three queries. Do you have any suggestions that I could do to simplify this macro further in order to keep the same flexibility but reduce the queries? I don't see how it could be simplified but perhaps you've seen something that I haven't. Along those same lines this macro /me is displaying current AC Bonuses Main AC: [[10+@{Armor} + @{Shield} + @{Dex} + @{Int} + @{Ring of Protection} - ?{Sword Not Drawn?|0} *@{Int} - ?{Holding Weapon in Both Hands?|0} *1 ]] Touch AC: [[10+@{Dex} + @{Int} + @{Ring of Protection} - ?{Sword Not Drawn?|0} *@{Int} ]] Flat-Footed AC: [[10+@{Armor} + @{Shield} + @{Ring of Protection} - ?{Sword Not Drawn?|0} *@{Int} - ?{Holding Weapon in Both Hands?|0} *1 ]] Would be reduced from 5 queries to just 2 queries correct?

Edited 1385500435
Gauss
Forum Champion
Is this Pathfinder or 3.5? Out of curiosity, why is @{Dex} being used for a 2handed weapon (assuming 3.5/PF)? Would you like the macro to include tags (a way for you to see what bonuses are what when you roll them)? What are the +2 and +5 bonuses between @{Dex} and ?{Attack Bonus|0} ?

Edited 1385501329
Sam
Sheet Author
Good questions lets see if I can answer them. The rule set is pathfinder, the class I'm using is Magus with the Kensai archetype. His weapon is an Aldori Dueling Sword and since his Dex is higher than his strength it made sense to take weapon finesse to take advantage of that. Also having Exotic Weapon Proficiency with the Aldori Dueling swords lets me use Weapon Finesse even though it isn't considered a light weapon. The reason why I didn't go the route for dervish dancer to change my weapon damage from Str to Dex is because my Str mod is only one less than my Dex and other than wanting the extra chance to hit, I was already taking all the feat prerequisites for weapon finesse I might as well take it. The weapon isn't always 2 handed. Since it's an Aldori Dueling Sword and not a light weapon it can be wielded in one hand or two. But since as a magus I need one hand free to cast spells and when wielded in one hand I get a +2 bonus to my shield AC vs the +1 I get if I use both hands. Using the sword two-handed is extremely situational. I'm not sure what you mean by tags. As far as the +2 and +5 they come from Weapon focus and Enhancement bonuses respectfully.

Edited 1385501592
Gauss
Forum Champion
Ok, I have to run some errands but when I come back I will see if I can simplify things for you.

Edited 1385520282
Gauss
Forum Champion
Unfortunately, I was only able to drop one query prompt (after Rugged Reroll) compared to your version. Your version had 6 query prompts before Rugged Reroll and 5 after. I was able to get it down to 6 before and 4 after (this includes the attack bonus and damage bonus queries). Attack [[ 1d20 +@{BAB} [BAB] +@{Dex} [Dex] +2 [WFocus] +5 [Enhancement] -@{Power Attack}*?{Power Attacking?|0} [Power Attack] +?{Attack Bonus|0} [Attack Bonus] ]] Damage [[ 2d6 +floor(@{Str}*(1+0.5*?{Two-handed?|0})) [Str] +@{Power Attack}*(2+?{Two-handed?|0})*?{Power Attack|0} [Power Attack] +?{Damage Bonus|0} [Damage bonus] ]] This uses a single value for Power Attack. For example, if your BAB is a 12 then your Power Attack would be a "4". When that "4" goes into the Attack section of the macro it becomes a "-4". When that "4" goes into the Damage section of the macro it becomes a "+8" (1-handed) or "+12" (2-handed). After Rugged Reroll comes out this will drop the number of queries down to: Power Attack, Two-handed, Attack Bonus, and Damage bonus. You could split this into two macros (one-handed and two-handed) and that would get rid of one query (from 4 to 3) but that will probably be the minimum. I also added tags so that when you (or your GM) hovers over the roll you can see what each value is.
Gauss
Forum Champion
One other question, I assume from your damage dice (2d6) that this is enlarged damage?

Edited 1385518695
Sam
Sheet Author
That is awesome, I really like how you simplified the logic. However I do have a question how you calculated the Power Attack. For pathfinder the rule for power attack states that when you take the feat the penalty for attack starts at a -1 but once your BAB reaches +4 and every four levels after that the penalty increases by -1. So by my calculations I get a penalty of -4 when the BAB is 12. -4 = -1 * (12/4 + 1). Yes, the weapon has the impact quality which causes to hit as if one size larger

Edited 1385520310
Gauss
Forum Champion
My bad, my initial example was with a 16 BAB and I changed it and failed to change the rest. LOL :) So with a "4" it becomes -4 and +8damage or +12damage. The macro is correct my example was in error. :)

Edited 1385521317
Sam
Sheet Author
Haha, I know how those errors can be, heaven knows I'm not free of them. I did know that the macro was correct, that is one reason why I love using them, if you did the logic right their results will be correct. I just wasn't sure if you knew something I didn't. Thank you again for you're help. I just found something interesting, if a macro tries to subtract using an attribute with a negative value the system can't handle it and throws an "Uncaught SyntaxError: Unexpected number" error in the console. I'm going to make a post right away on the bug form.
Gauss
Forum Champion
It is a known bug. "++" and "--" result in a bug. That is why I suggested that your Attribute be just the value. No +/-. The macro will apply the +/-.
Sam
Sheet Author
Thank you Gauss, I went ahead and wrote up a bug report to show my findings and offered a suggestion. If nothing else it is documentation if someone else has the same issue. Unfortunately documentation for Roll20 is very sporadic. You can find the post here .
Gauss
Forum Champion
The documentation for Roll20 can be updated by the users. Please feel free to do so. :)