Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFG] Old-School Player for Classic Traveller or 1st ed AD&D

Hi, I started gaming in the 70s and I'm usually the one who has to run the game. I'd really like to play again! I'm familiar with Roll20, but could only play starting at 9pm Pacific Time, or later. Friday, Saturday or Sunday evenings are best. I'm also picky about what I want to play. I'm looking for a game of Classic Traveller, set somewhere in the canon Third Imperium. (Please no assassinating my Emperor or releasing a computer virus that brings down civilization!) I'd also be willing to try something set in either EC Tubb's Dumarest setting, or Andre Norton's Free Traders/Scouts/Rangers universe. Alternatively, I'd love to play in a game of 1st ed AD&D. Again, I'd be looking for a specific setting: Judges Guild's Wilderlands/City States, Mystara, Midkemia, Blackmoor, Lankhmar, Oriental Adventures, Spelljammer, Dragonlance or Thieves World. There are a few other games I might like to play (please see my profile), but these are the ones I've been craving most. Maybe you'd be interested in a trade -- I let you play in my ongoing 1st ed AD&D game set in Tekumel, if you oblige me by running something I like. If you're into old-school gaming, and you'd like to let this grognard play again, I hope you'll contact me. Thanks!
Just wanted to say welcome, I am a Traveller Superfan. Merxiless on COTI.   I normally am one of the defacto Traveller GMs here. There are a few of us Traveller fans going to play in a Twilight:2000 I am going to run here in two months, in Honor of Loren's passing. These days, I am running hard sf horror survival  Outbreak: Deep Space via roll20 with discord, that I generated using Mongoose, plus scouts, plus Grand Survey.  Full with 8. You might vie for the tile of the oldest old School. I just turned 51. There was a group runningTraveller via roll20 in Australia, very talented GM some years ago, and a group of mostly British players that I know, played in two Traveller campaigns I ran here in the past, complete homebrew sector and setting. Also a Traveller game was going here for a short burst a month ago, I was lucky to be a player, but new Referee... the amount of work to set it up took it's toll on the GM, and as a new Referee, he felt he needed to learn more to run it. Traveller is not around a lot, but we are here.  We got sheet support for it here by advocacy. Well met. If you are up for anything else, all those old school you list are super rare, but with diligence, you might find people.
Hi Merxiless, I am Baron on COTI. And yes, some days I feel old as dirt. Sorry to hear that my old-school games are rare here at Roll20. I'd really like to get some gaming in. I've moved quite a few times and now my gaming is restricted to online or running games for my teen and her friends. I brought her up right, so I get to run games I like, but I have no GM friends in town. I'll keep hoping that something will come up. Is there a better means to attract attention than this forum post and my profile?
Hey Eric! I see that you were a 1st edition fan.  Have you tried Dungeon Crawl Classics?  The beta rules are available in free pdf, and it is an Old School style system.  The rules are a combo of 1st edition and 3rd, basically, with random tables thrown in.  I am looking to recruit players for a game using that rules system  if that interests you.
Hi Laz, funny coincidence there, I played in a game with a DM named Lazarus here in Los Angeles. Can't be that common a name! IAC I've got the Purple Planet and Carnival of Evil, both of which were written for DCC (I believe). So although I don't recall seeing a copy of the rules, I have some idea of what it is. Thanks, but I'd rather play Gygax/Arneson than somebody's re-write. If I'm going to modify the rules at all, I'll write up any changes myself, as house rules.
No doubt! Good luck and happy gaming! (PS, they have a kickstarter for the Lankhmar campaign setting for DCC...it is great!)
I'm glad that I saw this thread!..  I too was a player from the early 70s ( Tractics! and C&S). It's awesome to see that someone still knows about EPT from MA Barker and O.D.D. I would like to get into a game to CT with a few scouts, Mercs and patrons perhaps.   Games that I once played:  MA (Metamorphosis Alpha ) Aftermath! Space Opera and many more that are now rarely seen.
All good games.
Pappa Doc said: I'm glad that I saw this thread!..  I too was a player from the early 70s ( Tractics! and C&S). It's awesome to see that someone still knows about EPT from MA Barker and O.D.D. I would like to get into a game to CT with a few scouts, Mercs and patrons perhaps.   Games that I once played:  MA (Metamorphosis Alpha ) Aftermath! Space Opera and many more that are now rarely seen. Hi PD, I've managed to put a few people together so far. I'm thinking more like a real gaming group, where we do some round-robin Gamemastering duties and everyone gets to play. If you're interested in my gaming list, I'd be happy to include you. (Especially if I can talk you into running CT!) Shoot me your email address and I'll add you to the thread...
Pardalis66 said: Traveller is not around a lot, but we are here.  We got sheet support for it here by advocacy. Oh man, I bet you meant there are sheets for Mongoose's version of Traveller, didn't you? Because I just looked, and that's the only version I see!

Edited 1493694868
all we need is a "S" scout / courier and somebodies from what it sounds like. 
There are sheets for mongoose 1e, by a guy here named Fabian I taught Traveller (here on roll20 with my UK Traveller group) , and I have the 2e Mongoose sheets on my own roll20 server, independently modded, but not quite finished.
I was looking for CT sheets. That's the one I still play. :-(
I could cook you something up, but it would not be soon. I am establishing a new Squad combat First person game server and there are multiple coding problems.
Pardalis66 said: I could cook you something up, but it would not be soon. I am establishing a new Squad combat First person game server and there are multiple coding problems. I am completely computer-illiterate, so I would be very grateful if you get around to Classic Traveller at some point. Thanks!
Yes, sir. At least a week. I will mod the code I have. Which edition of classic. Traveller Book?
Pardalis66 said: Yes, sir. At least a week. I will mod the code I have. Which edition of classic. Traveller Book? Woohoo, thanks! <jumps up and down> I would probably include 'Supplement 4: Citizens of the Imperium' in the mix for a game, if that's relevant to what you're planning, but 'The Traveller Book' is the best reference for today's CT games (IMO). Anyway, as long as the fields can be populated manually, it's not as important to have macros or anything like that.
Pardalis66 said: Just wanted to say welcome, I am a Traveller Superfan. Merxiless on COTI.   I normally am one of the defacto Traveller GMs here. There are a few of us Traveller fans going to play in a Twilight:2000 I am going to run here in two months, in Honor of Loren's passing. These days, I am running hard sf horror survival  Outbreak: Deep Space via roll20 with discord, that I generated using Mongoose, plus scouts, plus Grand Survey.  Full with 8. You might vie for the tile of the oldest old School. I just turned 51. There was a group runningTraveller via roll20 in Australia, very talented GM some years ago, and a group of mostly British players that I know, played in two Traveller campaigns I ran here in the past, complete homebrew sector and setting. Also a Traveller game was going here for a short burst a month ago, I was lucky to be a player, but new Referee... the amount of work to set it up took it's toll on the GM, and as a new Referee, he felt he needed to learn more to run it. Traveller is not around a lot, but we are here.  We got sheet support for it here by advocacy. Well met. If you are up for anything else, all those old school you list are super rare, but with diligence, you might find people. Wow... Twilight:2000.  Is that a one shot that you are running?. Does anyone else play any types of old hard core survial games like "Aftermath!" on R20 or anyother place for the matter? 
Twilight: 2000 is planned to be an extremely bleak, realistic campaign of military survival in Poland, no rape or cannibalism. Might have female players.  Played with Roll20 and discord, in July, coming up. One of the players already set is Polish, living in Poland. He wants to play a "Epic Polish Scientist"  The other player is a British Soldier. He wants to play "Himself, as a straggler, cut off from his unit.". I used to run Aftermath! offline when it came out in the 80s.  Not here on roll20. The system is too crunchy.  I do not literally know if there is a sheet for it here or not.  I would be surprised. I have not heard of Aftermath! here in multiple years of GMing three scenarios a week here on roll20.. various games. I have a Traveller game running now, but it is full with 8  players already...set as a Mini-Series of 6 to 8 sessions, Survival Horror in Space, Aliens meets Pitch Black.  Based on Outbreak: Deep Space... but that rules set for me is broken, so I adapted it to Traveller. I am running hard sf horror survival Outbreak: Deep Space via roll20 with discord, that I generated using Mongoose, plus scouts, plus Grand Survey. Full with 8. If players like it and the group size drops a bit it could continue...but don't hold your breath. At that point, it would become more classic Traveller, a non-Horror story arc. I will get going on this character sheet a bit tomorrow. Big Scenario today in 15 minutes.

Edited 1493781157
if you have an opening for T2K I would be interested in playing myself as well if possible.  Yeah I alot of people nowadays don't understand what it was like to make a character in Space Opera, Aftermath or C&S and what went into making a character back then.  Thank you the help with CT sheets
O holy hell yes. Or Aliens RPG Damage rolling. OR Rolemaster with ten stats and skill area fractions. Working on those today.  I got a break and my server is running. just a few days now.
T2k Might not run, still far out in July timeframe.  But working on the sheet.
ROLEMASTER!!!!! (Character Law & Campaign Law and Arms Law & Claw Law!!) if you get the T2K sheet going I think that I might want to try to do a one shot to see if I could kick up interest.  Talk about a blast from the past with ALIENS RPG!. I'm still in shock!!
Before I retired to Thailand last year  I had 51 milk crates of RPGs. Sold them all to Phantom of the Attic, Craig Street, Pittsburgh. $3,000. I could have parted it out on Ebay for 8K, but did not want to wait over a year.
Ugh, you guys..! Have fun with your number-crunching then. Even when those games were new, and I had GMs who would do all the math for me, I threw up my hands and cried, "Enough!" 1st ed AD&D is as crunchy as I'll get, and these days I streamline that pretty much. But, Classic Traveller, I'm walking around singing, that's how happy I am! :-)
The Version I am setting up to run is Twilight: 2000 ver 2.0, Original yellow book, Not Ver 2.2 GDW House sytstem meshed  mechanics from Traveller New Era.
I played Aliens and Rhand: Phoenix Command with one of the Leading Edge designers back in the late 90s. He said, "yeah, we went way overboard on the design. nobody plays it according to the rules we designed. not even us."
Also Ran 1st ed Eden ConX for two years, with Zener cards, epic game. I might have openings in my Mongoose Traveller 2e in a few weeks. One of the players might be dropping. Will advise in a few weeks..
But that is WHY I liked them!. I hated math as a kid and things didn't click for a bit till champions. But I was happy that people were patient with me back then. If you spend the time to make a "real" character, for me it more fun and more real.  For example T2K, Traveller and others ( I feel should have more skills) because in the military I would have more skills from Basic training and your AIT alone. 
These days, I am doing mostly Narrative style games like Numenera, and Cypher System. I am part of a Discord server that has a lot of the newer Narrative style games and players, 100+ members, I think 25 DMs.  D&D there is 5e, though. But I am the oldest old skool guy there. So I am keeping Traveller alive.
Pardalis66 said: I played Aliens and Rhand: Phoenix Command with one of the Leading Edge designers back in the late 90s. He said, "yeah, we went way overboard on the design. nobody plays it according to the rules we designed. not even us." *Chuckles
Pardalis66 said: These days, I am doing mostly Narrative style games like Numenera, and Cypher System. I am part of a Discord server that has a lot of the newer Narrative style games and players, 100+ members, I think 25 DMs.  D&D there is 5e, though. But I am the oldest old skool guy there. So I am keeping Traveller alive. Keep it "pimpin, pimpin!"....  That is so @$#%ing Groovy... and yes I still say " Groovy"

Edited 1493880748
I can have fun making detailed characters, but there's a point of diminishing return. And there's an element of old-school that says you should be able to wing it, your character will have general knowledge that will encompass more than you could detail out regardless. It's why early rpg's didn't have skill systems at all. Here's what you need to know to do your main functions and roll. Anything else, work it out with the GM. In any case, I have more fun writing up a couple paragraphs without restrictions, than rolling from 17 tables and getting out my calculator. But I know there are guys like you out there too...
*sheepish grin I would like to think that I'm a "role player" but I do like to find a GM that would be willing to accept my requests for backgrounds, skills, etc. 
Well if you elect to join my Tekumel game, you can work out as much detail as you want. I'll just depend on you to remind me!

Edited 1493882101
Mr Baron.... are you up for a G Hangout for a bit?.  I sent you a google invite for a hangout 
Computer is off, going to sleep. Tomorrow?
sounds groovy
Great meeting you!
You too. Now, good news, there is now a 1st ed Metamorphosis Alpha sheet on Roll20!
*runs to check it out!
can't create a game with that sheet...  :(
A char sht does not a game make, but what's wrong with it?
just a black sheet...