Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Macro Queries

Edited 1492122609
So I was recently trying to make a Nested Query, but every time I saved the Macro, it reset my code. So this: !tj ?{Status|Add Status,-addstatus ?{name|Hidden}:?{duration|So long}:?{direction|-1}:?{message|Something}|Edit,-edit|Remove Status,-removestatus ?{name}} Becomes: !tj ?{Status|Add Status,-addstatus ?{name|Hidden}:?{duration|So long}:?{direction|-1}:?{message|Something}|Edit,-edit|Remove Status,-removestatus ?{name}} Anyone know why? And how to stop it? Edit: Apparently it is even doing it in the Code brackets Should look like:  
Unless you fill it out in a character sheet, it will do this. You need to get it 100% right, save it, and only roll it. It will work, but if you open it back up again, back to square one.
SFX said: Unless you fill it out in a character sheet, it will do this. You need to get it 100% right, save it, and only roll it. It will work, but if you open it back up again, back to square one. I'm not finding that it goes back to square one in the sheet. Only if done in the "Macros" section. Quite frustrating, but thank you for that tip. Still anyone know why the macro section does this?
Not sure why, just that it does. It's annoying, but once you get the once-and-done part down, it makes life a lot simpler. I just write all my macros with nesting in a character sheet first to test them, and then if they work the way I want, I copy/paste them into the macros section so I can link them with other macros :)
SFX said: Not sure why, just that it does. It's annoying, but once you get the once-and-done part down, it makes life a lot simpler. I just write all my macros with nesting in a character sheet first to test them, and then if they work the way I want, I copy/paste them into the macros section so I can link them with other macros :) Ah, I misunderstood. Just never ever ever open the Macro in the Macro section ever again. Thanks for the help. Hope that they fix(?) this at some point.
You got it. :) And yeah, I wish they would fix that sooner rather than later...

Edited 1492130496
Silvyre
Forum Champion
I'll mention that you can, without worry, open and close a Macro that contains HTML entities so long as you do not immediately save it (without first replacing the HTML entities that are converted when the Macro is opened). In the past, a member of the Dev Team did acknowledge that this behaviour is inconvenient.
Silvyre said: I'll mention that you can, without worry, open and close a Macro that contains HTML entities so long as you do not immediately save it (without first replacing the HTML entities that are converted when the Macro is opened). In the past, a member of the Dev Team did acknowledge that this behaviour is inconvenient. That's helpful to know as well! Do you know if any of the Devs have any plans to work on this in the future? Or should I put this in suggestions?
Silvyre
Forum Champion
I think a Suggestion is a great idea; I'd give it a vote!

Edited 1492138299
Courtney R. said: So I was recently trying to make a Nested Query, but every time I saved the Macro, it reset my code. So this: !tj ?{Status|Add Status,-addstatus ?{name|Hidden}:?{duration|So long}:?{direction|-1}:?{message|Something}|Edit,-edit|Remove Status,-removestatus ?{name}} Becomes: !tj ?{Status|Add Status,-addstatus ?{name|Hidden}:?{duration|So long}:?{direction|-1}:?{message|Something}|Edit,-edit|Remove Status,-removestatus ?{name}} Anyone know why? And how to stop it? Edit: Apparently it is even doing it in the Code brackets Should look like:   Save the code in a program so you can paste it back in anytime. Also if you save it a second time it stops working. I use Evernote 
Made the suggestion:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4911859/maintain" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4911859/maintain</a>... Craven . said: Save the code in a program so you can paste it back in anytime. Also if you save it a second time it stops working. I use Evernote&nbsp; I have been using pastebin, but it is rather annoying to have to save even the tiniest of codes which are things I can type up rather quickly, but want to modify often enough. (I like toying with Macros)
You can write your macros on a character sheet that you use only for that purpose, and then use the Macros on the tab to set up the call function. &nbsp;All the nesting can be done on the character sheet. &nbsp;As an example, I use&nbsp; /w gm %{spell-macro-sheet|SpellCall} to call my spell reference macro, which allows a search of the entire spell book by class, level, school, or sphere, and then allows a query for details and/or description, a pretty extensively nested final effect. &nbsp;If you like creating macros you may group them by type onto different character sheets. &nbsp;It makes management easier, and you can use the character vault to transport them to another game.
Valerie M. said: You can write your macros on a character sheet that you use only for that purpose, and then use the Macros on the tab to set up the call function. &nbsp;All the nesting can be done on the character sheet. &nbsp;As an example, I use&nbsp; /w gm %{spell-macro-sheet|SpellCall} to call my spell reference macro, which allows a search of the entire spell book by class, level, school, or sphere, and then allows a query for details and/or description, a pretty extensively nested final effect. &nbsp;If you like creating macros you may group them by type onto different character sheets. &nbsp;It makes management easier, and you can use the character vault to transport them to another game. so is spell-macro-sheet the name of the character sheet? and SpellCall the Macro?
Craven . said: Valerie M. said: You can write your macros on a character sheet that you use only for that purpose, and then use the Macros on the tab to set up the call function. &nbsp;All the nesting can be done on the character sheet. &nbsp;As an example, I use&nbsp; /w gm %{spell-macro-sheet|SpellCall} to call my spell reference macro, which allows a search of the entire spell book by class, level, school, or sphere, and then allows a query for details and/or description, a pretty extensively nested final effect. &nbsp;If you like creating macros you may group them by type onto different character sheets. &nbsp;It makes management easier, and you can use the character vault to transport them to another game. so is spell-macro-sheet the name of the character sheet? and SpellCall the Macro? Yes, you've got it. &nbsp;Phantom character sheets are handy, and with the folders they are easier to organize than macros. &nbsp;I'd like something like that for tables. &nbsp;I also created a character sheet that is controlled by all of the players, but not by me. &nbsp;They can whisper to that character to talk to each other easily without me listening in. &nbsp;They like that.
Valerie M. said: You can write your macros on a character sheet that you use only for that purpose, and then use the Macros on the tab to set up the call function. &nbsp;All the nesting can be done on the character sheet. &nbsp;As an example, I use&nbsp; /w gm %{spell-macro-sheet|SpellCall} to call my spell reference macro, which allows a search of the entire spell book by class, level, school, or sphere, and then allows a query for details and/or description, a pretty extensively nested final effect. &nbsp;If you like creating macros you may group them by type onto different character sheets. &nbsp;It makes management easier, and you can use the character vault to transport them to another game. Problem with this is when you have a campaign with over 100 players (~50 Active) each with 1-4 character sheets... It gets rather bad to add more and more sheets. Now, I don't generally make most of my Macros in the Macro bar, I typically go for Sheet Macros. But when I'm making Macros for APIs and the likes. I like them to be in the Macro bar. Not in a sheet. Just a personal preference of mine.
Problem with this is when you have a campaign with over 100 players (~50 Active) each with 1-4 character sheets... It gets rather bad to add more and more sheets. Now, I don't generally make most of my Macros in the Macro bar, I typically go for Sheet Macros. But when I'm making Macros for APIs and the likes. I like them to be in the Macro bar. Not in a sheet. Just a personal preference of mine. Entirely understandable. &nbsp;In that case all I can do is agree that the devs should figure out how to make the macros in the bar work more like the macros on the sheets, without the re-save glitch. &nbsp;Which would be good to do anyways.