Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Maintain Formatting on Macros (Queries)

Edited 1492197623
A problem I recently encountered and one that I found quite irksome, was that when trying to make a non-sheet macro for an API Script, the macro reopens and strikes all Nested Queries back to their default symbols ("}", "|", ","). For non-nested queries, this is fine. But if there is any nested query, when you open up the Macro again, it will rewrite the formatting to those symbols. There are several workarounds, such as storing the Macros elsewhere and if you need to edit them, just copy-paste the correct formatting in and work on it again. Which works, but... is not user friendly. Examples of this are: Before: (I have to use an image because even the forums do that, which makes it hard to share code) After: !tj ?{Status|Add Status,-addstatus ?{name|Hidden}:?{duration|So long}:?{direction|-1}:?{message|Something}|Edit,-edit|Remove Status,-removestatus ?{name}} I would like to propose the feature suggestion that it maintain the formatting you put in for those Macros and for the Forums. It's mostly a quality of life edit, but it is something that seems rather strange that it isn't done, especially since the Sheet Macros can do such. Please Arrow up if you would like to see this implemented!
+1 from me (You might want to edit your post though, you list non-nested queries as being replaced instead of nested ones :) )
SFX said: +1 from me (You might want to edit your post though, you list non-nested queries as being replaced instead of nested ones :) ) Whoops! Thanks! Completely missed that on my first read over!
I would put my last vote into this. However, I think you need to change your title and description some for people to really know what you mean. There are really two issues here. The first issue is that the parser changes HTML code to it's actual character whenever a macro is saved, so for example, it changes &# 125; (remove the spaces, because even this chat does it). to }. This means that if you want to go back and make changes to a macro, you need to save a copy of all that macro text in an external document like notepad to save every single encapsulated } as &# 125;. Obviously, there are other characters where this is an issue as well. The second issue, and ultimately the root cause of all of this is the fact that we have to use HTML code in the first place. They need to fix the parser so that it doesn't escape from a macro as soon as it sees the first } character. This would remove the above issue for the most part. This is probably the single most common issue people have with creating macros on Roll20 from what I've seen on the forums. So why keep the first issue if the second issue is resolved? There are still cases where someone is going to need an html character if the second is fixed. The most common example I can think of is in button macros where they need to start with !&# 13; to fire them. This just sucks, when I put these all over and I want to go back and make edits. I literally have to rewrite entire macros because of this and other html characters.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .