Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Token Actions for Monster Manual and paid content

Score + 90
Token actions are one of the best features of Roll20. They allow a user to quickly perform a roll from the attached character sheet without having to open up said sheet and search for the roll. The current set up for tokens purchased at a premium price from the Monster Manual and other licensed paid content only includes the HP and AC assigned. If you wish to attack or do any other action with that token you need to open the character sheet and search for the correct button. This slows down game play and is an extra burden on the GM running the game because they need to have several character sheets open at once. I am asking that Roll20 build the token actions for the premium paid content for the basic actions that the monster or NPC would perform. We are paying a high dollar premium for this content and expect to get high dollar value including all the best feature of the platform.
As a new DM, this is the primary reason why I haven't bought any of the premium modules. I'm just creating my monsters according to a video of faking20 where he created a character sheet template with all the macros for the tokens. This would save me so much time that would definitely be worth the price they ask for.
Ed S. said: Token actions are one of the best features of Roll20. They allow a user to quickly perform a roll from the attached character sheet without having to open up said sheet and search for the roll. The current set up for tokens purchased at a premium price from the Monster Manual and other licensed paid content only includes the HP and AC assigned. If you wish to attack or do any other action with that token you need to open the character sheet and search for the correct button. This slows down game play and is an extra burden on the GM running the game because they need to have several character sheets open at once. I am asking that Roll20 build the token actions for the premium paid content for the basic actions that the monster or NPC would perform. We are paying a high dollar premium for this content and expect to get high dollar value including all the best feature of the platform. You can create generic macros that work for each npc token: ?{Public Roll|Yes, |No,/w GM} %{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_npc_action} You can create a macro in the collections tab, add it to your macro bar at the bottom of the screen, and it will pull the first Action macro from any D&D 5e OGL character sheet that is using the NPC part. You can create additional macros and increment the $0 to $1 and so on to do additional Actions on those monsters that have them. 
Sky,  that's essentially what Timoteo is doing now.  It's extra work that would be nice to have already done.  
No, my method is only one to four macros in the collections tab that works for all monsters using the OGL sheet. You only have to create that macro once and add it to the macrobar at the bottom of the screen near the player names. Timo's method is a new character sheet for everyone monster and using the macros on that sheet instead.
I am aware of the difference between your method and his, it's still extra work that I would like to see included in the premium price that we pay for the content. As you know there are other issues with including global token macros with local token macros when it comes to sorting, so I try to avoid them. The best solution is for Roll20 to use the built in features of their platform to give greater utility to their paid content and show what they have to offer over the competition.
Ed S. said: I am aware of the difference between your method and his, it's still extra work that I would like to see included in the premium price that we pay for the content. As you know there are other issues with including global token macros with local token macros when it comes to sorting, so I try to avoid them. The best solution is for Roll20 to use the built in features of their platform to give greater utility to their paid content and show what they have to offer over the competition. Yes, I know it would be nice... but character sheets don't actually have an easy way to just check a box and add that macro to the token actions. It requires going into the Abilities tab and making those macros. It's probably possible to write an api script to do that automatically, but with my method, you make four macros once and you're done forever. You have four macros you can use on any monster for their main actions. You could even boil it down to one macro with a query. ?{Public Roll|Yes, |No,/w GM} %{selected|repeating_npcaction_$?{Which action|1,2,3,4,5}_npc_action}
I do see there is a script that Kevin wrote up to do it here Thank you Kevin What I would like to see is to have this pre-done as part of the payment we make for the premium content.
I think Ed S. has a good point. I wish they would come with their actions attached as token actions. Love me some token actions.  But on the other hand nice macro Sky. It solves the problem fairly well. Also i have taken to double click minimise character sheets and it makes management much, much easier.
Since everyone has some freed up votes, how about getting behind some real quality of life improvements like this suggestion. Token actions make for a smooth running game.

Edited 1524862341
If we are going to pay for an out of the box experience, it would definitely be ideal to not have to do hours of token setup. Definitely got my vote
THIS! I mean, why not just have a box that you can check next to the ability to export it out to the token action section. Seems like a simple fix, and would make a world of difference in speeding up my games. 
I find it very hard to believe that it's already been a year since I made this suggestion and the usability of the paid content is still far below par. 
I just purchased some wizards of the coast content and I couldn't agree more. I was led to your thread while looking for a solution but I have yet to find one. Until its fixed I probably wont buy anymore Wizards content. Token actions are some of the best tools in the software.
i use a token Action API that can create them for me basic on the NPC or character sheet Actions and such but it would be nice not to have to. 
I have 4 macros like this: Action0 = /w GM %{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_npc_action} and so on for 1-3, each with the "Show as token action?" box checked.  When I select a token from the Monster Manual or the specific module I bought from WotC, I get all 4 macros in a bar at the top left of my window.  I can just press these buttons to use the attacks listed on the token's character sheet.  It's not clear why you need Wizards or Roll20 to set this up for you?  The token actions themselves are already in the Monster Manual character sheets in the journal, and a simple macro allows you to use those abilities without having to open up the character sheet and click them manually.
Asgorath said: I have 4 macros like this: Action0 = /w GM %{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_npc_action} and so on for 1-3, each with the "Show as token action?" box checked.  When I select a token from the Monster Manual or the specific module I bought from WotC, I get all 4 macros in a bar at the top left of my window.  I can just press these buttons to use the attacks listed on the token's character sheet.  It's not clear why you need Wizards or Roll20 to set this up for you?  The token actions themselves are already in the Monster Manual character sheets in the journal, and a simple macro allows you to use those abilities without having to open up the character sheet and click them manually. I answered this higher up in the thread, I will not go over that ground again. I will ask this, what of creatures that have more than 4 actions? Also how do you know what you are even clicking on? How many times to I have to guess that Action 0 is multiattack? 
I agree that token actions should be included in the official modules. Any updates in this regard?
none that I have seen or heard

Edited 1539577983
I think they are afraid of it treading on Pro account subs and API use, but you don't need any API to make token actions, so I am not sure.  I would like to at least see spells added to NPC's. It's sad this platform won't take advantage of it's own features on it's premium content.
Still would like to see an official answer on this. 
+1 vote from me, as a noob in roll20 it would be a godsend to have to just tick a few boxes to get the token actions going. 
+1 vote

Edited 1584754367
hey roll20, do this and i will spend more money on your stuffs. right now, 5 bucks a month is all you get from me.
I am surprised this isn't baked in. Like many people, I was considering re-purchasing all my physical books in digital form here, but if it will still require some manual tweaking to make me happy, I'm resistant...which is too bad.
Yes This issue was a bit of a supprise for me after laying out some cash.  As when I aquire monsters from other place (no cash involved) it all comes set up. Yes I can fix all this but the reason for spending money is that I am time poor.
100% with you guys. This should be setup as Token Action for each monster in MM.
Ed S. said: Token actions are one of the best features of Roll20. They allow a user to quickly perform a roll from the attached character sheet without having to open up said sheet and search for the roll. The current set up for tokens purchased at a premium price from the Monster Manual and other licensed paid content only includes the HP and AC assigned. If you wish to attack or do any other action with that token you need to open the character sheet and search for the correct button. This slows down game play and is an extra burden on the GM running the game because they need to have several character sheets open at once. I am asking that Roll20 build the token actions for the premium paid content for the basic actions that the monster or NPC would perform. We are paying a high dollar premium for this content and expect to get high dollar value including all the best feature of the platform. this can be fixed by having a pro membership and a scrip where you can have a token action macro. but it would be nice to be a standard feature.
Kevin's TokenAction Script is great for this but recently even that has been having problems now. I think some update changed the how info is stored in the sheets or maybe for the monsters from the compendium and it doesn't work properly now. I go through so many encounters that have at least 2 to 3 different monsters and switching between each page for actions is terrible
So, any update on this? I recently switched to roll 20 because of the virus and bought the monster manual because I thought it would save me time only to find out I still have a lot of prep to do. This wouldn't be an issue for an in-game person because I keep notes, but running it online, I expected there to be some short cuts available so I wouldn't have to spend as long prepping. 
Also started the online thing due to the virus. Two sessions in and I'm already well over 60 hours of in-game time, mostly spent trying to figure out macros, scripts, and setting up my players for success. Saw Cody's Master Series and thought with how old the video was, we wouldn't have to do every single monster individually anymore. Apparently that was just wishful thinking. It would be nice to have a better way to do this.
+1 for this. I find it takes a large chunk of time to set up tokens with actions and I don't see why I should have to do it if I've paid for the content already. 

Edited 1594349577
Wow, this thread has been active for three years, and paid content such as the Monster Bundle is still not available to directly import as tokens into my active campaign. I thought laying out about $80 would save me a ton of work. Instead, I have even more work ahead of me due to them willing to take everyone's money and not provide professional service. Thanks, Asgorath and Sky! I'm putting in those commands now.

Edited 1594356701
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
Stephanie G. said: Wow, this thread has been active for three years, and paid content such as the Monster Bundle is still not available to directly import as tokens into my active campaign. I thought laying out about $80 would save me a ton of work. Instead, I have even more work ahead of me due to them willing to take everyone's money and not provide professional service. Thanks, Asgorath and Sky! I'm putting in those commands now. As a pro subscriber, you have several options on easily setting up token actions for any character or npc in your game.  I use Universal Chat Menu, which can be found in the api forum along with example global api/macro calls for several game systems.
+1
Razeick said: Kevin's TokenAction Script is great for this but recently even that has been having problems now. I think some update changed the how info is stored in the sheets or maybe for the monsters from the compendium and it doesn't work properly now. update to the token action API scrit was put out and it seams to work for monsters again. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8458497/script-token-action-maker-v-dot-0-2-dot-7" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8458497/script-token-action-maker-v-dot-0-2-dot-7</a> Was having problems with it recently myself, so was glad to find an updated version that so far seams to be working again., that said it would be extreamly nice to simply have all this pre,entered. If they did so I would likely buy the rest of the monster manuals. Even with the script, it can be a pain. API lag, shutdown, break, ect ect and there's not really a way for me to save monsters so I have to run the script for every new game.

Edited 1596022527
Mike J
Pro
Marketplace Creator
+100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 First I built all monsters in Journal.&nbsp; This worked perfectly with all of the token actions for FREE.&nbsp; Then, I deleted all of those and purchased the content.&nbsp; WHAT A LET DOWN!&nbsp; The MM doesn't have the actions built in that I could have had for free.&nbsp; The fact this this thread has been going on for 3 years with nothing from Roll20 is Ridiculous!
Necoryu said: Razeick said: Kevin's TokenAction Script is great for this but recently even that has been having problems now. I think some update changed the how info is stored in the sheets or maybe for the monsters from the compendium and it doesn't work properly now. update to the token action API scrit was put out and it seams to work for monsters again. <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8458497/script-token-action-maker-v-dot-0-2-dot-7" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/8458497/script-token-action-maker-v-dot-0-2-dot-7</a> Was having problems with it recently myself, so was glad to find an updated version that so far seams to be working again., that said it would be extreamly nice to simply have all this pre,entered. If they did so I would likely buy the rest of the monster manuals. Even with the script, it can be a pain. API lag, shutdown, break, ect ect and there's not really a way for me to save monsters so I have to run the script for every new game. Yep! It works great so far, but I still think roll20 needs to work on putting this functionality at least on their paid content&nbsp;
+100000000 As a GM the most time I spend prepping is creating token macros so I can speedily run my combat encounters. I spent good money on the monster manual for the drag and drop functionality (which is still very handy) but I was expecting that they would include something as simple as token actions. Please please please fix this.

Edited 1601981620
This can very easily be done using the free browser plugin VTT Enhancement Suite:&nbsp; <a href="https://justas-d.github.io/roll20-enhancement-suite/" rel="nofollow">https://justas-d.github.io/roll20-enhancement-suite/</a> &nbsp;There is a Macro Generator which looks like:
keithcurtis has updated the Token Action Maker script. If you're a Pro user and you're frustrated by monsters coming in with no token actions, grab keith's script from the one-click. It's a life-saver that will cut your prep time in half.
You are missing the point Roll20 should do the work.
Ed S. said: You are missing the point Roll20 should do the work. Not missing the point at all. I'm as frustrated as others about Roll20 not doing the work. I'm just suggesting an existing alternative for anyone who is really stuck.
Is the default for these Token actions to whisper to the GM?&nbsp; The previous script I ran from this group did NOT have whisper to the GM as the default and it made it pretty much worthless. Jay R. said: Ed S. said: You are missing the point Roll20 should do the work. Not missing the point at all. I'm as frustrated as others about Roll20 not doing the work. I'm just suggesting an existing alternative for anyone who is really stuck.
Chris J. said: Is the default for these Token actions to whisper to the GM?&nbsp; The previous script I ran from this group did NOT have whisper to the GM as the default and it made it pretty much worthless. Jay R. said: Ed S. said: You are missing the point Roll20 should do the work. Not missing the point at all. I'm as frustrated as others about Roll20 not doing the work. I'm just suggesting an existing alternative for anyone who is really stuck. That feature doesn't exist as far as I know, but it would be worth requesting for future versions of Token Action Maker. Keith is pretty responsive.
Well otherwise the players see every roll from those tokens, which I generally prefer not to show... kinda surprised everyone else is ok with that.
Chris J. said: Well otherwise the players see every roll from those tokens, which I generally prefer not to show... kinda surprised everyone else is ok with that. As a workaround, you can always use the talk to yourself command (/tty I think?) for any monster roll. Once a token has been set up with Token Action Maker, it doesn't need the API to run those actions, so it should work. On the topic of showing rolls, I prefer to be transparent with my players. Whether a monster hits or misses or makes/fails a saving throw/check, I want them to see the result. I don't care if they mouse over the roll to see bonuses or whatnot, and I doubt they even do it anyway.&nbsp;
Well if a roll misses I won't cause it to hit against a player, but i don't want the players knowing the monster's AC instantaneously which is what happens when they can see the rolls.
Chris J. said: Well if a roll misses I won't cause it to hit against a player, but i don't want the players knowing the monster's AC instantaneously which is what happens when they can see the rolls. Different play styles, I guess. I have zero problem with my players guessing monster AC. If they're figuring that stuff out, it means they're paying attention. :) Also, does that mean you roll for your players? I mean, if they're rolling their own attacks in Roll20 and you tell them an attack hits, don't they figure out monster AC anyway? In any case, on the topic of Token Action Maker, unless you want to request the whisper-only feature to keith, I'd say just keep TTM on when you make monster rolls. That way they're visible only to you.
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
On the other hand, if you are using an API script, TTM blocks your ability to use the API while it is on (unless something has changed recently).
Kraynic said: On the other hand, if you are using an API script, TTM blocks your ability to use the API while it is on (unless something has changed recently). You're right, and I should have made that clear earlier (I sort of implied it but didn't say it outright). TTM will block any API commands while on. On the other hand, if you have a TTM macro (as I do) in your quick bar, it's real easy to click it on or off.