Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dimensions for Playing Cards

MattBx8
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Hello, I'm wondering what the dimensions for Playing Cards are because I want to create a custom deck. I checked the  Creating Marketplace Assets and there was nothing on Playing Cards. When I draw a card, it is two squares long and about 1.3 squares wide. Since the Density should be 72dpi (according to the Creating Marketplace Assets page), then a poker deck should be 144 pixels by 103 pixels (based on the two squares long and ratio'ing it off of official physical decks of poker cards that are 3.5 x 2.5 inches). A tarot deck is traditionally 4.75 inches long by 2.75 inches wide, which would be 195 pixels by 113 pixels (again, ratio'ing to the two squares long that the standard playing card would be). Do those values sound about right? Thanks for any responses. /Matt
You can select the size of a deck.  So choose the size you want.  Just keep in mind the size relative to the screen.  Also, it's usually better to have the image in a decent resolution.  That way it still looks good when zoomed in. As an example, my Deck of Many Things images are 336x459.  When played on the map area, I set the deck to display them at 168x230.  That way they're still small enough not to take up a large amount of screen when played on to the map area, but large enough to look good zoomed in. Also, a reminder:  Make sure they are considered drawing and not tokens, so they don't resize to the grid.
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
If you go by usual tabletop sizes then 1" = 72px and the Roll20 standard has been 70px or 140px per unit (aka Inch). So for a 4.75" item would be 333px by 193px at 70px per inch or 666px by 286px at 140px per inch