Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Suggestion: Add a round counter to the initiative tracker

Up at the top, to the left of where it say "Turn Order" you could add a counter that keeps track of the number of times that the list is completely cycled through. This would make life so much easier for things like keeping track of buff durrations or keeping track of when extra baddies are supposed to make their way into the combat.
+1 And you'd need a way to reset it.

Edited 1385921938
Gauss
Forum Champion
Workaround: You can add a Custom Item to the turn counter (accessible by hitting the blue settings icon) and keep track of the Turn Order that way. Additionally, the API could probably automatically change the count every time it cycles. Might want to ask the API forum about that.
Thanks for the heads up, I'll go see if anyone wants to take pity on me since I don't know how to code :P.
+1
Sam
Sheet Author
+1, I'm upping this because I think it would be an awesome thing to have. I am also posting a link to Joe Y 's post in the script section so there is a link back.
+1
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It's a good idea, a work around would be to as Gauss suggests, add a custom token to the turn tracker. Then on that token, set up a bar, to count # turns. Each time initiative comes back to the token, click the token, increase the number in the bar's circle by 1. Its a bit clunky but if you need to keep track of how many rounds have passed it would work.
+1
+1!

Edited 1386859489
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
I've made a fix for this. Like others have suggested, it requires the use of a dummy token. I made one out of a compass image. I then applied the following macro: /roll -1 &{tracker:+} Place the dummy token at the end of the round. Each time it's turn comes up, select it and hit the Round Clock macro button. You should get a diminishing, but accurate round clock: –1, –2, –3, etc. (big props to the community here for helping create the macro!) But yes, building one into the actual Turn Counter would be the best solution!
We likely won't do this as something built in just because there isn't really a concept of a "round" in the Turn Tracker code. Some systems (like Savage Worlds) frequently sort the turn order, etc. I think adding a dummy token, or using the "Custom Item" feature under the gear icon are both suitable options for this. It's not as automatic, but it shouldn't be that hard to see the "round barrier" come to the top of the tracker and then change the value (or use the macro posted by Tom). As Gauss pointed out, if you want to go fully automatic, an API script could likely handle this for you.
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Riley, I can only speak for myself...well, and at least one other Roll20 GM...but the idea of a round counter isn't for some automated process. It's a tool to help keep track of limited duration resources. When does that spell expire? When does the bomb go off? How long am I stunned? Those sorts of things become much easier to track with a counter. And while there are work arounds, something built into the Turn Tracker window would be much cleaner interface-wise. It's also easy to forget to punch the round clock when you have so many other things going on.
Keeping track of the rounds was something that came up in every battle during my lastest campaign, for exactly the reason Tom stated, duration of effects. Our Gm was far too busy (keeping track of rolls, players, enemies, story & dialogue interaction, and helping newer players understand what to do) to keep a round counter going. Even if they had, the encounters likely would have suffered for yet another demand on the gm's attentions. Individuals can keep track for themselves, of course, but even that becomes complicated if an encounter spans across multiple weeks, or all players aren't on the same page. While there are work arounds, I hope this suggested feature doesn't get completely dismissed. While I am not sure what the difficulty with adding a general round counter is, perhaps an alternative could be to add another number next to each player/enemy on the turn roster to indicate how many times they have reached the top of the list, if that would be simpler to add?

Edited 1386910368
Gauss
Forum Champion
Q Q, one thing you could do is to have a player keep track of the turn number to help the GM. Create a character sheet. Assign an image to it (not a token). I use a d20 image. Give a player control over the "Turn Number" character sheet. Player side: 1) Create a Macro (note: my Macro counts up whereas the macro in the previous post counts down). Name: "Turn Increment" (or just "Turn") Body: Turn Increment +1 [[ +1 &{tracker:+} ]] 2) Open the "Turn Number" character sheet 3) Drag the image to the table a token will be created. 4) Click on the "Turn Number" token 5) Hit the "Turn Increment" macro. 6) In subsequent turns repeat steps 4 and 5.

Edited 1386902327
Sam
Sheet Author
Gauss , in your example could that eventually mess up a sorted list? Edit: I did as you said Gauss , but all it does is add the round tracker to my turn list and then never increments its initiative value beyond 1.

Edited 1386904298
Gauss
Forum Champion
Samuel , it should work. Please send me a join link. As for a sorted list, sorting only happens when you press the sort button.

Edited 1386905386
Sam
Sheet Author
sent

Edited 1386913095
Gauss
Forum Champion
Fixed, I had a space between the colon and the plus sign. Edit: based on the bug posted in <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/515829/bug-turn-order-bug-when-updating-token-turn-using-and-%7Btracker-plus-%7D/#post-515852" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/515829/bug-turn-order-bug-when-updating-token-turn-using-and-%7Btracker-plus-%7D/#post-515852</a> I suggest switching to /r -1 &{tracker:-} for incrementing upwards and /r +1 &{tracker:-} for incrementing downwards.