Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

A way to spice Combat

/emas @{selected|token_name} "[[1t[Catch-Phrase]]]" A way to combine the emas and a table to vary what you minions say as they strike
Gauss
Forum Champion
Add pepper? This isn't a specific use question so I am moving it to on-topic.
No problem.
Neat!
I started adapting this idea for randomized Attack macro flavor text! Just add verbs :D thanks for this idea!
Sam
Sheet Author
I love the idea, but I don't love how the phrase is highlighted in yellow because it's an inline roll.

Edited 1386124625
Michael B.
KS Backer
I'll see if it work without it Curses, does not work without the Inline roll
Sam
Sheet Author
Yeah, I had already tested that. I wish there was a way to toggle inline roll highlighting in campaign settings.

Edited 1386131434
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You could write an API script which looks for inline rolls on the Catch-Phrase table, and replace the inline roll with the result of the roll. In other words: Input: I'm gonna show you [[1t[Catch-Phrase]]]! msg.content: I'm gonna show you $[[0]]! msg.inlinerolls: ..."the shiniest meat bicycle"... Then you just replace the placeholders in the message content with the text of the rollable table result, instead of letting the system replace them with the yellow boxes. Edit: Ta-da! Type !cphr message , and any inline uses of [[1t[Catch-Phrase]]] will be stripped of their yellow box-ness. The rest of the message will appear as intended. (If you post as a character using the "As" dropdown box, the character's avatar won't appear, but that's a failing of the sendChat function.) You may use other commands in the message, eg !cphr /me considers shouting "[[1t[Catch-Phrase]]]," but decides against it . on('chat:message', function(msg) { if (msg.type != 'api') return; if (msg.content.indexOf('!cphr ') != 0) return; var text = msg.content.substring(6); for (var i = 0; i < msg.inlinerolls.length; i++) { if (msg.inlinerolls[i].expression == '1t[Catch-Phrase]') { text = text.replace('$[[' + i + ']]', msg.inlinerolls[i].results.rolls[0].results[0].tableItem.name); } else { text = text.replace('$[[' + i + ']]', '[[' + msg.inlinerolls[i].expression + ']]'); } } var sendAs; var chr = findObjs({ _type: 'character', name: msg.who})[0]; if (chr) { sendAs = 'character|' + chr.id; } else { sendAs = 'player|' + msg.playerid; } sendChat(sendAs, text); });
Sam
Sheet Author
Brian , you almost persuade me to become a mentor, almost :). If you were to do !cphr /me considers shouting "[[1t[Catch-Phrase]]]," but decides against it. Would it put in the picture and name of your "As" selection like normal?

Edited 1386145469
Yes! Different phrases/actions for C/success, success, failure and C/failure. (Technically if you were to API table that, you could also add in a hit-marker roll and add in emotes for the damage)

Edited 1386179392
Michael B.
KS Backer
WOW, I love this community. Now i need to add the script added the !cphr to all my current bad guys! THANKS!

Edited 1386221080
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Samuel T. said: Brian , you almost persuade me to become a mentor, almost :). If you were to do !cphr /me considers shouting "[[1t[Catch-Phrase]]]," but decides against it. Would it put in the picture and name of your "As" selection like normal? Not if you're posting the message as a character; this is a limitation (see: bug) with the sendChat function. If you're posting as yourself, your avatar will appear in the chat as normal. (If/when sendChat is fixed, it will also work for posting as a character.) Edit: I just realized the code I posted above will crash if the !cphr message doesn't contain any inline rolls (with or without the roll on the table). Add this line after var text = ... and before for (... : if (msg.inlinerolls) Or alternatively, never use !cphr without any inline roll. =)
Thanks again!
I'm going to introduce some hate on all the Code Monkeys in here .... Best way to spice up combat ... an evocative description, and require players to describe their actions. To much D@D now-a-days is about dice rolling and min-maxing. We can't automate good use of language, music and narratives yet haha.
I use this to evoke some language, I can't always come up with a nice quip as a creature attacks. I also name all of my creatures, Eck rather than Orc#3. I agree it is about descriptions and narrative, I use the CODE to make it simpler for me the DM freeing me to do more of the other.
I may use this for my steampunk wargame VOX-hole
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Bryan W. said: We can't automate good use of language, music and narratives yet haha. We can, for a given value of "good," and a given level of effort on the part of the developer. Ever play Starship Titanic for Win95?
Here is a good list to start with :) <a href="http://www.usfamily.net/web/wpattinson/otr/batman/" rel="nofollow">http://www.usfamily.net/web/wpattinson/otr/batman/</a>...
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Michael B. said: Here is a good list to start with :) <a href="http://www.usfamily.net/web/wpattinson/otr/batman/" rel="nofollow">http://www.usfamily.net/web/wpattinson/otr/batman/</a>... Who counted and WHY!!!!!!!!
Sam
Sheet Author
A) A person(s) with way too much time on their hands. - or - B) Person A, who is also a programmer, that really wanted to know who then wrote a script to do count it for them. - or - C) The authors really wanted to keep a tally :)
Its the Internet, does there need to be a reason