Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

As a mentor status player can you use scripts in a game with a gm who isn't a mentor?

Sam
Sheet Author
I don't know know if this thread would be better put in API or general on-topic or fine here. But my question is, if you're a mentor and you join a game with a GM who is not a mentor, can you still use the api scripts and/or transmogrify characters from one of your campaigns into that one?

Edited 1386139241
Gauss
Forum Champion
No. Most features (including those two) are controlled by the subscription level of the owner of the campaign. Additionally, you can only transmogrify between two campaigns you own.
Sam
Sheet Author
In other words, there is no point of me becoming a mentor in the near future. :(
Gauss
Forum Champion
Depends on what you want. If you want to support Roll20 then yes. If you want access to features when you are GM then yes. If you want access to mobile support (tablets) then yes (this feature is enabled for a Mentor even if the GM is not a Mentor). If you want to access the Mentor forum and give feedback directly to the Devs, then yes. However, if you are not a GM and none of the above appeals to you, then no. Note: you could gift a subscription to your GM if your GM is not a Mentor so he can run any API scripts you would like him to run.

Edited 1386163740
What about this, Gauss? Would this work? If Samuel T. becomes a Mentor, creates a campaign, adds the current GM to the game, makes them a GM, then Samuel can simply join as player all the time. Would that work?

Edited 1386163921
Gauss
Forum Champion
Yes, that works. In order to do that the GM would need to have a start page for the second GM to load on. After loading the second GM can switch to player mode. However, the owner of the campaign would still be the person that created the campaign. Some features (such as the transmogrifier and inviting people to join the campaign) are limited to the owner of the campaign.
Sam
Sheet Author
Gauss I was able to invite you to join my high level campaign even though I was only a co-gm and not the owner.
Sam
Sheet Author
Gauss said: Depends on what you want. If you want to support Roll20 then yes. I do indeed want to support Roll20 because I love the community and the devs make a wonderful product. However, the only thing I'm interested in is the API. Currently I've heard that the dynamic lighting system can be unstable on some machines if they don't have enough resources. I know Rugged Reroll has plans to fix this but the expansion isn't here yet. Things like having access to the mentor form or emailing the devs directly don't really appeal to me. The transmogrifier would be nice but it doesn't let me copy my own created characters from campaign to campaign regardless of owner. I do understand that the subject is tricky due to copyright and ownership but I wish there were a way for items bought from the marketplace to have a tag so if you were to import an item from someone else it would check any item against the marketplace and prompt you to buy it or remove it. Additionally, if there was an À la carte version of the subscription offerings where if you wanted everything it would be cheaper to be a subscriber, but if you truly only wanted one or two things you could subscribe for just those things. Essentially you would be getting what you truly want and supporting Roll20 at the same time. Even though I really like Roll20 and want to see it succeed, I can't justify paying $100 - $120 a year for just one feature that won't always work depending on if I am the campaign owner or not. However, if I were able to say just pay $2.50 or $3 per month for just API, that is something I would actually seriously consider.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Samuel T. said: Gauss I was able to invite you to join my high level campaign even though I was only a co-gm and not the owner. Hmmm, so you can, via the Campaign Details page. However the chat window join link does not appear for non-owners in a campaign (I use that more than the invite link on the Campaign Details page).
I have to agree with Samuel - there are way too few benefits for subscribing players . Wanting to support Roll20 is fine - I do want them to succeed - but it's not really a good answer. The mentor level is not cheap and I'd like to have just a little to show for it. API access would be a pretty good deal. I don't want to lock my membership down to a specific GM (nor do I want the hassle of having to ask them to run scripts for me), so gifting the membership isn't a solution for me. I think Roll20 could do well for itself by selling itself a little better to the players. We all know there's more players than GMs.
Gid
Roll20 Team
If you want to see this changed, I'd recommend adding your voice of opinion to a suggestion thread.
oh hush, I pay for three accounts to be mentor status - my own, and my two DMs so I can moan at them to include the scripts I want in the games and actually get results. speaking of which, I really should find out when I have to renew that for them again......
Better support for supporting and mentor players would probably prompt me to sign back up. So at the end of the day, I want it. But if you asked me the question 'how', I wouldn't be able to answer it. However I have tried using the 'GM-switch-GM' workaround before, but I wasn't sure if it was officially 'allowed', technically 'not allowed' (but not enforced) or if I'd get banned for doing it.
actually, never thought of that. hey mods - IS there any restrictions on owning an account but letting a friend use it to run a game your in so that you can have your scripts working in-game? doesn't worry me, I wouldn't let my players touch my account with rubber gloves on, couldn't trust em to leave the secret pages alone. also, I just buy Mentor status for them anyway (the ones I am invested in as a player anyways)