Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[AD&D 2E] Revised Tutorial Video in the making

Hi-lo everlybody. I'm currently working on, (with the help of a generous friend who knows how to edit video) a tutorial series of short videos that will encompass all the things on the AD&D 2E sheet, what they are, how to use them and, most importantly in my opinion, how to set up and use basic macros within the sheet. Hopefully we can start putting these up as early as next week, but for now, I have a question for anyone who uses the sheet. What questions do you as players and GMs have about the sheet? I would like to address any and all questions that I can during the making of this mini-series. Please post your questions here and I will address them in the making of the videos to the best of my ability.
SFX, I am interested in the idea of videos on the AD&D 2E sheet.  I am using the "Advanced 2nd Edition (Simple Sheet)."  I have added a batch of macros based on the Taking 20: Roll 20 Master Series videos.  The game I run evolved from a pure tabletop game that we have played for years, so we still do a lot of things with little or no automation.  The players seldom use macros -- they prefer the feeling of agency that comes from rolling dice by hand.   I know I could DM more effectively with more automated NPC and monster actions though, especially since some of the encounters are pretty complex.  I don't have specific questions to ask.  I just figure there are a million ways I could improve on what I'm doing if I understood all that the sheets are capable of.  I have created template sheets for characters/NPC's and for monsters, and put the complete spellbook, searchable by class, level, school, or sphere, into character sheet macros that create chat buttons.  That way they can easily be transported between games, and don't suffer the loss of formatting that happens to macros in the macro tab. So, what else can I do?
Well, with the use of macros, you can simplify entire sections of the sheet into simple, easy to read menus that give you a lot of versatility and speed when it counts. For example, let's say you have a sheet that has all level 1 priest spells on it. You tie them all together into one macro that allows you cast on the fly with ease. Using nesting (stuff I'll go over in the video) and advanced roll queries, you can actually sum up just about any sheet into 2-4 major macros that run the whole ordeal. Now, you mention you use the Simple Sheet. Everyone has their reasons and I won't ask, but, some of the automation you are looking for is actually in my sheet, such as attack buttons and monster saves. Because these areas exist, they too can be macros. Now, if you're set on using the Simple Sheet, there is still a work around. Custom Attributes. These can be added to any sheet and written into macros as well. This is something else I'll be going over in the videos as well and how to optimize them to get the most out of them. Something else I know works with the Simple Sheet, for NPCs at least, is automating ThAC0.  A few people more talented than me came up with a way to do this based on level with the use of certain macros in the sheet itself. These allow you to simply change your level and the macro will update your ThAC0 accordingly. For these, I would look to the AD&D 2E MACRO LIST in the archived chats and there's one in the active chats too, although under which topic umbrella I'm not sure, sorry. If you have any questions I could perhaps answer more specifically, feel free to PM me anytime and I'll see what I can whip up :D