Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Combat macros for Dnd 5e

Hi All. - First time poster on the forums! Hoping you can help me out with a technical question/request. I'm currently playing a 'text only' D&D 5e game. Everyone is awsome, but simply due to the fact that it's all text, combat encounters can turn into quite long drawn out affairs. Even when everyone is quick off the mark. I'm hoping to produce some Macros for some of our more common attacks to help speed up whatever we can. I know we'll loose a little bit of the combat fluff we each tend to add, but I think it's worth it.... Would anyone be able to supply, or help me write the following macro? - Note, not sure it makes any difference but we're using the standard D&D SRD? character sheets. ... XXXX [Selected token Name] attacks XXXXX [Targeted token Name] (AC of [targeted token AC]) with their  *Longsword* <<Specified specifically in macro as  (standard roll and attack results) [ IF statement is equal to or higher than targeted token AC] Results in a hit causing [ freetext number number if it's possibly confusing for opponent to calculate- otherwise leave this field blank ] damage! ... and then of course a different IF statement if it missed. I'd be interested to know if there was a way to produce a Player Flavour version of this and a DM version of this.... - or something close? I know that I've made a simple Macro so far that says.... XXXX [Selected token Name] attacks XXXXX [Targeted token Name] (AC [targeted token AC]) But that's as far as I know...! Cheers
If/Then logic isn't possible in the macro system but that shouldn't be too much trouble to work around. You said you are doing a text only system, but are you using a character sheet and tokens? If so which character sheet are you using in the game?

Edited 1495114707
Thanks for the response Ed. - I'm using the '5th Edition (OGL by Roll20)' versions. - Yes to tokens too... :) We are currently all using the roll macros built into the character sheets everywhere we can. - e.g. Attacks, saves, spells etc.

Edited 1495117480
I think that the problem you are running into is less from inefficient sheet macros and more from communicating who everyone is attacking. My suggestion to speed things up is to could add a simple line to the names of your attacks on the character sheet. This will identify who you are attacking. On the weapon name line of the attacks section in the character sheet add the following: vs. @{target|token_name} AC: @{target|bar2} That is assuming that the tokens are set up with the AC on bar 2. Also make sure that the option to show name on the template is selected in each character sheet on the options page. This will allow you to see who is attacking who and will be able to quickly determine a hit. I hope that helps Happy gaming Ed