Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Can Cards give abilities

Edited 1386810449
So with the deck features...can i script an event that 'when' a character gets a card from a deck then their character sheet gets an ability
you can do anything with the script, the thing is that you need to know how to code it like so(which can be hard without doing it manualy )
Gauss
Forum Champion
Without the API the answer is no. With the API you might be able to. I suggest asking the API forum. Note: the API is a Mentor feature.
From an API standpoint, there's very little deck options (though it's been noted). Currently you can make things happen based on changes in graphics, but the system does not know a) if it's a card or any other token/graphic b) what the card is indicating c) who used/drew/was given the card
Ok, thanks Emile. That's what i was looking for. I am looking at making a descent boardgame conversion. So when a particular card is in your 'hand' you get that ability in your character sheet. For example, if you have a Bow card as a weapon in your hand equipped then i would script something that 'adds' an ability to your character sheet. (the Bow Attack dice stats)
So it looks like i can't do i what i need. I would need the object/event model to be able to give the handler the PC and ID of card 'added' to his hand. Looks like that isn't supported...back to the drawing board.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Nat , if you could explain more about what your game is trying to do perhaps we can come up with a way for you to do it.
Sure. Let's see if i can capture this: So, its Descent the board game. ( <a href="http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=176&enmi=Descent:%20Journeys%20in%20the%20Dark%20Second%20Edition" rel="nofollow">http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite.asp?eidm=176&enmi=Descent:%20Journeys%20in%20the%20Dark%20Second%20Edition</a> ) Essentially a move-attack game. Think d20 light or pathfinder light. All weapons, skills, conditions etc are 'cards' that go in your hand. So if you search a chest you draw cards and you may get a bow or sword or potion or money or nothing etc. Your inventory and equipped items are the cards in your hand. Descent unfortunately has 'custom' dice. I get that I can use tables but i think scripting would be more elegant. An attack roll can consist of 2-3 or 4 dice. Each with custom faces. I was planning on each character to click a button custom macro 'attack' that 'rolls' your dice. However, your attack roll is 100% dependent on what item you have equipped or that is in 'your hand'. I guess i can do tables so if an attack is: 1 red , 1 blue and 1 yellow dice then they would click a roll on that table (3 clicks 1 for each talble/die) and figure out results manually in the chat windows. I was hoping to script the out put. To make matters worse each die tracks several things, a 'miss' condition, range, 'surges' and 'damage. I wanted to script this so your out put would be: Joe Blow attacks with his Short Sword (1 blue, 1 red): He Hits! for 0 range, 3 damage and 2 surges. I guess thinking about this some more...when a PC 'changes' their equipped items they can go to their character sheet and manually add the attack dice...i think i just figured this out a different way...its manual tho, wanted to automate the cards equipped/unequipped status...