Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Mid-campaign - Worth buy-in Curse of Strand

Edited 1498001398
So...  I have several questions involving the new Curse of Strand content.  I purchased all the maps from Mike Schley.  I've resized and uploaded several of them, aligned the grid, and did dynamic lighting.  I've created NPCs as well.  All-in-all, I'm about 20% in and the characters have just finished Death House.  I've also got the Tarroka decks completed. So here are my questions.  Do you all think the content is worth it for an additional $50?  It certainly would save me some serious hours - mainly in aligning the grid, creating NPC's (which is optional), and dynamic lighting setup. Ok, second question... If I already have a game setup can I import the content without messing up the current game?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
It probably depends on how much your time is worth.  If it takes you 10 hours to set it up yourself, you're paying yourself $5 an hour to do it.  It is very nicely setup, I've been poking around it off and on today. Second question, it would probably be easier to move your content (assuming characters and handouts?) over to a fresh game with CoS as a base.  You could certainly move everything from a CoS game into your own game, it just might take you awhile...  Either way, you'd use the Transmogrifier to do the moving.  Here's the breakdown: Pages: 44 Characters (npcs, monsters, etc): 192 Decks: 5 Handouts: 336 Rollable Tables: 10

Edited 1498003491
Thanks for the reply.  I'm pained by all the hours I've already spent as well.  Arg!  I've never used Transmogrifier.  If I use a fresh game, can I move the forums?  My players are very active on them.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Ah, no.  You wouldn't be able to move those.  However, you could continue to use the old forums.  Also, check your PMs, I sent you a few messages...
For what it's worth, I too bought Schley's maps and spent a decent amount of time fidgeting with grids, handouts, portraits etc. My players are about 40% of the way through, having dealt with the Winery, Yester Hill, Krezk and are in Argynvostholt now. For me, if it saved me at least 10 hours of prep it was a steal at this point. And having only just started with the colossal maps of Castle Ravenloft, and having not touched Amber Temple, I'd rather just save myself the time. There's also the bonus that all of the book's content is within roll20, so it saves having to look away form the screen to read a book. They've also added some quality of life links, like Sunsword linking to Sunblade etc. I was able to bring everything over through transmogrifier that I wanted, the big one being maps of towns etc that the players noted up, so I replaced the Module ones with those. I upgraded my membership just to do this. I don't really use forum posts, but I can understand that being a pain.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
The cool thing is that you don't have to transmogrifier everything at one time (except the jounals so they work properly). You can just transfer as you need to prep for the next session (maps and tokens). This might help if you think you will experience lag due to any large amount of assets in the game.

Edited 1498051389
Thanks for the replies!  Special thanks to The Aaron who walked me through his game.  After trying to do dynamic lighting in the small church it became abundantly clear that this would probably save me 30-40 hours of work.  I bought CoS last night and used Transmogrifier to port in most of what I needed.  I actually liked the work I did on the Tarroka decks a little better so I just kept those.  (Plus it made me feel that some of my contributions will remain.)  Great purchase.  Thanks, everyone!! Pat S.:  When you say that you should import all the journals "so they work properly", are you referring to the fact that they link to each other?
So after playing with the module for several weeks now, I can firmly say it was totally worth it!!!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Sweet!!  =D
+1 (like)