Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Roll20 still causing browser reloads across all windows

I was hoping that the “Rugged Reroll” would kill this pesky bug once and for all, but it doesn’t. Roll20 causes the browser to spontaneously reload all of its windows, and not just the Roll20 window. I have not found an exact circumstance which should trigger it reliably. Really annoying, fix it this time.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Do you have a console log showing any errors when this occurs? I have not heard of any reports of this happening.
No, I don’t, but since it happens each and every session, and generally without regard to which OS or browser I’m using, I could easily post one, if you could show me where to find them.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Please go to <a href="http://supportdetails.com/" rel="nofollow">http://supportdetails.com/</a> and supply the support details except for IP address.
That hardly seems like a console log, and it hardly seems all that informative, either. As I’ve said, I’ve encountered this problem regardless of browser, and regardless of operating system. I’d have to go to the Windows computer just to point out its hardware specs, but they aren’t terribly likely to match the Mac. Tell me where the console log is, and I’ll post it. Mac OS X 10.6.8, Flash 11.9.900: Safari 5.1.9, Firefox, Chrome Screen Resolution: 1920x1080 Browser Size: 1920x985 Color Depth: 24 bit Javascript & Cookies Enabled Windows Vista: Firefox, Chrome
To open the console log in Firefox and Chrome, hit Ctrl+Shift+J (or I believe it is Cmd+Opt+J on a Mac).
Not working in Safari, I’ll have to try it in one of those. I’ll update them first, to keep the bug details modern.

Edited 1387325232
Yes, Safari is different. These are the instructions I found for the error console in Safari: Mac OS X Open Safari and choose Safari &gt; Preferences &gt; Advanced. Then select Show Develop menu in menu bar. Choose Develop &gt; Show Error Console. Close the console by clicking the close button on the left hand side of the error consoles menu bar. It doesn't explicitly state what version of Safari, but hopefully it should work. ( <a href="http://ggnome.com/wiki/Using_The_Browser_Error_Console" rel="nofollow">http://ggnome.com/wiki/Using_The_Browser_Error_Console</a> )
Yeah, the error console isn’t helping; it reloads when the page does, leaving me nothing to copy and paste. Is there a way to capture a whole error console run, in spite of the page reloading?
Gauss
Forum Champion
In Chrome you can right click on the console log window and select "preserve log upon navigation". That will keep the log even though you refresh. Out of curiosity, have you disabled your extensions and plugins? Perhaps one of them is interfering.
If you want me to disable Flash and Adobe’s PDF plugin, you’re crazy. :P I’m not running anything remotely interesting.
I, nor any of my players or players in games I'm in have ever had this problem. This sounds like you need to uninstall your browsers and reinstall them.
Unless you use ALL the features of Roll20 (and by “all”, I mean “every last one of”), you shouldn’t be surprised if your play experience is different than someone else’s. Roll20 has a lot of features. Some more broken than others. This problem ONLY happens in Roll20; if it was the browser, it would happen with other websites; and it doesn’t. The fact that it happens independent of OS and independent of browser pretty much rules out any particular browser install.
I can say that if you can find a feature of roll20 that I haven't played with, I'll tip my hat to you. But it sounds like an extension related issue... As I personally (as well as my players who use well over the average number of features) have never experienced this. Is it something that randomly occurs? Could it be webGL based?

Edited 1387934361
Gauss
Forum Champion
Tenacious Techhunter, until you try disabling your extensions and plugins to see if one of them is causing the problem and supply your console log when this occurs there is not much we can do for you. Single user issues like this are usually the result of something on the user's end and a likely culprit is extensions.
Do you REALLY want me to disable Flash and Adobe’s PDF reader? I will if you ask, but frankly, that’s kind of pointless, since Roll20 needs those anyway. There’s nothing else to disable. I’m not running anything. These reloads are rather random; I’m not sure what causes it, but it may be journal related. This isn’t a single user issue; I’m not the only one who has this problem, there are others I play with (and don’t play with) who get this too. And why is Emile sticking up for HoneyBadger, instead of HoneyBadger defending his own point?

Edited 1387953686
Gauss
Forum Champion
Tenacious Techhunter, you had not stated that others of your group had been experiencing this nor that you do not have any extensions. Still, we need the console log so please do the following: Open your console while playing, set it to keep the log even when refreshing, and then you can collapse the log to the bottom so it takes up less space. When it happens please post the entire console log. Please have the GM of your campaign send me a join link so we can examine the campaign.
As far as I can see on the forums, you're the only one that has brought up the browser reloading spontaneously. Get these other people to come in and post their specs and plugins and such if you want to find the source of the bug.
There are lots of bugs that people are too lazy to report in. No one else bothered to report that euclidean diagonals stopped working for Hex Grids, which was (almost, anyway) working before the update. You shouldn’t punish me for being the one that bothers. Yeah, I’ll have him give you a join link, Gauss. Does this mean that, no, you don’t actually want me to test with Flash and Adobe’s PDF reader plugin disabled?
Same problem here

Edited 1388110511
Gauss
Forum Champion
Adam , I assume that you mean you are having the browser refresh problem? If that is the case then please go to <a href="http://supportdetails.com/" rel="nofollow">http://supportdetails.com/</a> and supply the details except for IP address.