Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Co-GM [LFG] Any System. Any Campaign.

Edited 1498766263
I've been GMing forever. I cut my teeth on AD&D and have ran many fun systems like Paranoia, DND (all derivatives), DCC, Palladium, Rifts, Cthulhu, Pendragon, TMNT, Deadlands, Savage Worlds, Old/New WoD, etc. Over the years I've become more interested in game theory, story telling, and encounter building and less interested in the management aspect of getting and keeping a group together; managing relationships. I've also been way more interested in the technical aspects of gaming ever since Roll20 hit the scene. I'm no API expert but I can pretty up your campaign with nice macros and scripts. If you have a game you want to bring me into as a co-GM let me know. I can work with you to organize encounters, build stories, create NPC's, and more. You can use me to bounce ideas off of or just give me a general description of what you want to accomplish within an encounter and I'll build it for you. Complete with fully statted NPC/Monster tokens, GM layer items, dynamic lighting, maps, and handouts. I could be available to occasionally log in for a play session but my role would primarily be offline GM support and content creator. It's my way of giving back to the community, enjoying the hobby, and I ask for nothing in return except for feedback from you and your players to help me improve my craft. If interested, pitch me your campaign idea(s) and hopefully we can make something happen.  edit: Just about any game system
Fhtagn!  I basically have one question after reading this.  What is your opinion on D&D4E?  We have a lot of DMs in the guild who run with us/play with us because the 'keeping a group together' or the 'running a game every saturday' aspect is problematic for one reason or another and having a network of players ready to play all of the time is an incredible boon for getting to work on the craft.  It is always good to see another DM who is interested in trying to get better at things and focuses so much on feedback.  Our group has 19 DMs who run games, write adventures, discuss how to work on their craft.  7 of those are GMs who manage the other aspects (recruiting players, working behind the scenes when there is a problem, larger scale decisions that affect the entire group, make judgement calls on unclear wordings) so the DMs don't need to worry about it. Assuming 4E is something you would be interested in, it sounds like the Guild would be worth checking out.  For better or for worse I do want to be clear that we do not allow people to walk from the street to the DM position.  If you are interested you would be asked to join the guild, play some and get to know the community (we are extremely active on in Guild Chat which takes place on Skype in several different chat rooms) before running some games.  If this all sounds interesting or you just want to talk general DMing talk let me know on Skype at Gravymattingly or toss me a PM on Roll20.
Thanks for replying Gary. I have a lot to say about 4th. If you don't want to read a novel here's my tl;dr : I wanted to like 4th edition and if 5E wasn't so amazing I might consider it. But at this point I can't fathom investing any more resources into 4th when we have 5E. I feel the same way about DND 3/DND 3.5 because Pathfinder is far superior. I don't feel that way about OD&D, AD&D, or AD&D 2E.  Also, your guild sounds pretty awesome and I'd love to join. I just have very little interest in focusing on 4th edition when 5E is much better. IMHO : The biggest reason for non-adoption of 4th from the gaming community is a long and twisting tale. In 2000 we finally got a new edition of DND. It wasn't perfect but it was certainly a good step in the right direction. Everyone I knew was wary of 3rd but it looked very promising and we were ready to make the big jump to a new version of our beloved game. Most of us bought into it heavily. I bought every book that came out. I remember hearing rumors about a year into 3rd that they were already revising 3rd but we thought it was a BS rumor. 2 years later our 3rd edition books became obsolete and we were told to just buy into 3.5 because it was better. We didn't have any good alternatives that were like DND so many of us grudgingly re-purchased 3.5 books.  We played 3.5 for a few years. It was a pretty good system and had a lot of potential. I still had a bad taste in my mouth from 3rd edition and was reminded of the "betrayal" every time I looked at my bookshelf. Hundreds, if not thousands of dollars worth of books just sitting there gathering dust. I have a lot of obscure RPG's that gather dust but with those it's nearly impossible to invest heavily in those games since the print runs and supplement lines tend to be small. I think that around 2006 I heard a rumor about an open gaming license for 3rd edition and some company named Paizo was coming up with a new DND like system. I was lucky to get in early for the Pathfinder Alpha and fell in love with the system. We started calling it DND 3.75. I don't think I've even opened a DND 3.5 book since Pathfinder Alpha.   It's now 2008-2009. Pathfinder is a massive hit with the community. Many of us have completely abandoned DND for our new love interest. Paizo starts to release all kinds of supplements, game aids, campaigns and everything looked amazing (as a side, I feel like this would eventually be the downfall of Paizo. Power creep became a huge problem with Pathfinder. IMO this is what opened the door for DND 5E and why 5E has been welcomed back with open arms). Then 4th edition DND came out. But at that time we were so over DND and so frustrated with our history with WoTC/TSR that we hated the game before we read a single page. A game store owner once told me that he could put a $20 bill in every 4th Edition book and people would complain that the bill wasn't crisp enough. That's how much we hated 4th edition. And it wasn't really because of the rule set. It was because they hurt us, man... they hurt us real bad.  Despite this hatred for 4th I still bought the 3 core books when they came out. I ran a couple of campaigns with 4th edition and tried to be open minded. There was a lot I didn't like, there was a little I did like. It was an ok system that had a lot of great ideas. They took a lot of chances with the system and I feel that 5E wouldn't be as popular now if those ideas weren't tested in 4th. To me, 4th edition is the beta of 5th edition and the final product, 5E, is the evolution of 4E. 
Fair enough.  I'm aware that 4e has a bad rep / problematic for some people.  If you don't want to give it another try, then no worries.  I had a very different experience than you did, and for me, playing 5e is like playing a game where they stripped most of the features out of a game that had bad marketing and then marketed it better for another audience. 5e isn't bad, it just doesn't really do much of any thing better than other games.  I always find it as a game that is my 'second choice' for running X game.  If I'm running a game I'm way more likely to go 4e, 3.5, PF, L5R, M&M, CoC, GURPS or FATE before I get to 5e.  I am in the happy position now that I never reach past the best option for a particular game.  4E /FATE are the only game systems i use (although I wouldn't be opposed to an L5R game if I had the time) beyond those that I am testing out to learn more (Iron Kingdoms for instance).  I wish you luck finding a game and, if you ever want to give 4e a try in a way that takes $0 of investment, give me a shout out.  The portable compendium as a tool, speaking as someone who owns all the 4e books, is something that is a near replacement for the books and makes getting into the game very little investment in resources other than time. Good luck finding a game!
I could not be more interested! I've been running a 5E campaign for six months, and the entire time I've been desperately wishing I had someone to share the burden. I have a massive, complex world, but I'm shit at mapmaking, designing encounters that live up to the in-character drama, etc. Please consider sending me a message, and maybe we can talk about it to see if our styles match?

Edited 1498766356
Gary, I'm the same way with games. DND is usually not my go to game because I prefer sci-fi and horror. When I do run DND games I always pick 5E because it's much easier to recruit for and Roll20 has a lot of tools for 5E.  Nate, sending a PM now.  PM'd you links to a few of my campaigns. If you want to hit me up with how many pc's you have, level, some details about their backgrounds, etc., I can whip up some maps/encounters for you. It'd be fun to collaborate. 
I have played a few RPG systems and I dislike both the single dice mechanic (d20 or d%) and the dice pool mechanic (Many dice and count 'hits'). I play GURPS.  The 3d6 bellcurve reduces unlikely outcomes and crits.  The class free aspect allows for a lot of variation in character creation. I have been GMing for about 3 decades off and on.  I am relatively to online gaming.  I play a few game in roll20.  I think it has potential.  It certainly has a lot of people, but they seem to be focused on D&D, which I am not interested in, at least not in the dungeon crawl.  I am interested in social interaction, Role Playing, Investigation and problem solving styles of play.  Mostly the roll20 game page will be used for a backdrop and to share text content.  Game play will take place primarily in Voice chat and eventually Video chat. I would like a GM assistant for a long term online GURPS game that I will run.  I am not sure of the genre yet.  Options include 1) a 1920s investigation Call of Cthulhu style; 2) a campy Supers - Heroes vs Villains - style based on 'The Venture Bros' animated TV series or 3) a Paranoia style campaign.  All of these consist of custom worlds and home made adventures.  (In the case of The Venture Bros, the show is taken as cannon, and the game takes place in the same world, but focuses on ancillary or unrelated characters and an independent plot.) This is the intro to my Paranoia campaign.  It is run in a 'minimal information' format: You wake and take in your surroundings. You are alone in a cubical room that appears as if it would measure roughly three meters on a side. The room contains a narrow bed with a mattress, a mattress cover and a blanket. The room also contains a wall mounted sink basin with attached towel rack to which a towel is attached, and a bar of soap which rests on the top of the sink basin. In addition to these things that are contained within the room, the room also contains a canvas drawstring bag. Contained within the canvas drawstring bag is a second gray jumpsuit (you are wearing the first gray jumpsuit). Attached to the hip of the jumpsuit that you are wearing is a velcro patch. And attached to that patch is a multifunction tool. The preceding multifunctional tool contains the following tools: pliers, fork, small knife, small knife, small knife, medium knife, medium knife, large knife, spoon, fingernail clippers, fingernail file, cuticle scissors, toothpick, tweezers, straight razor and a fold-out ten-centimeter ruler. In addition to the items listed so far, you see that on the non-adjacent wall nearest to your feet hangs a round mirror that is 61.3-cm in diameter. Beneath this mirror and also on the wall are two doors set side by side and hinged at the top. Each door measures 28.4-cm high and 48.4-cm wide. To the right of these objects and directly inline with your bed is a 68.1-cm square blank display screen and a 15.3-cm long light-pen with a 0.4 mm thick and 74.9-cm long cable attaching it to a point 2.6-cm below the center of the screen. The bed upon which you awoke measures 196.1-cm in length and 75.9-cm in width. From beneath the bed and extending out toward the wall with the blank computer screen are two rails set into the floor which are 1.6 cm wide and 0.2 cm deep. They extend 62.3 cm from the bed and stop short of the wall by 48.2 cm. The wall mounted sink basin which is mounted to the non-adjacent wall nearest your head via the basin's left side measures 56.6 cm in width and extends 33.2 cm from front to back. The wall opposite of the wall to which the bed is adjacent houses a door which measures 150.2 cm wide and extends from the ceiling to the floor and appears to open by sliding upwards into the ceiling. In the corner of the room furthest away from the corner closest to the head of your bed rests an empty footlocker measuring 55.5 cm wide, 75.5 cm long and 42.7 cm high. Measuring stuff, although almost certainly a fruitless exercise, has none-the-less been a satisfying one. After all, it gave you something to do. And doing something, even something that accomplished nothing, felt better than doing nothing at all. As you lie there in bed, you slowly become aware of the fact that you cannot remember who you are. You cannot recall anything about your life. You know what fire hydrants are and how to lace and tie a pair of shoes. You know what shoes are. But you cannot recall where you grew up or what your parents looked like or even if you had parents. You know what macaroni and cheese is, but not what it tastes like or even if you liked its taste. You try recalling something from your past, and you simply cannot remember anything. Simply nothing. Nothing what-so-ever. As you are failing to remember stuff, the appearance of a muted white light draws your attention. It blinks on and off three times in rapid succession. The light is located just above the right door under the mirror. You find the next thing that happens startling because you are briefly startled by it. The door opens, and a small, thin brown rectangular box slides down a chute and into the room, after which the door closes and remains closed. The brown box remains stationary for the next three minutes which is how long you waiting for it to move, which it doesn't. You find most of these stylistic devices dredged up by your over-stressed mind most disturbing. You try to center yourself and find yourself staring blankly at the blank display screen. While staring blankly at the blank display screen, you are surprised to find that the display screen displays blankness no more. It now displays words and symbols where it was blank but a moment before. Near the top of the screen are the words “Color Clearance Control Classification”. Directly under those words are the words “Pending Test Results”. Somewhat further down, below these words are the words “Press Here To Begin Test”. These last words are displayed in a white light that pulsates at a compelling rate, first brighter then dimmer then brighter then dimmer, repeatedly, over and over again. Somehow these pulsations seem to beckon you. This is from my Cthulhu game: The two oppositional powers at work in this world are not Good vs. Evil. They are not Light vs. Darkness. Neither are they Order vs. Chaos nor Freedom vs. Slavery nor Life vs. Death. The two forces at work are: those who seek to unleash the ancient god-like beings that threaten to consume and destroy this planet vs. those who seek to prevent their manifestation. This battle has waged for a hundred millennia. Those who seek to unleash the ancient ones do so to serve their personal ambition and lust for power. They are blind to the consequences of these actions. They make the proverbial deals with the proverbial devils, in the hopes of obtaining personal power that they can use to lord over their fellow humans. While those who seek to thwart the advance of the ancient Godlike beings find themselves employing more and more extreme methods as the knowledge of the ancient ones grows and as the ancient ones themselves gain a larger foothold on this planet. They create societies that are just as secret as those contrived by their adversaries. They infiltrate organizations of hierarchical power, organized religions and scientific societies alike, in order to prevent information about the ancient ones from coming to light. They use alliances between royal families, corporations and shadow elements within nations to accomplish this goal, a goal which they pursue at all costs and by any means. And over many centuries, these organizations, institutions and alliances have grown both in scope and power until they have become forces unto themselves developing their own intentions, desires and goals independent and apart from the objectives set down by their founders. Secret societies spring up within secret societies like wheels within wheels and dark alliances are formed between members of the two opposing factions until it becomes impossible to tell for certain who is on which side. The only certainty is that this precarious and convoluted balance of power cannot maintain in perpetuity, and that when it fails, the outcome will not favor mankind. Also this: It would be inaccurate to say that color itself refuses to take residence on the grounds of the house of the Lady Gray. But what colors do call this place home have been so muted as to constitute a new palette; one where shadow rules with an iron-gray hand. It is as if the world had resigned itself to perpetual winter, and gloom has fallen instead of snow. The paltry and feeble grasses and scrub brush lend an air of mournful wretchedness, rather than any indication of life, and render, on the whole, a feeling of hopelessness and capitulation. It is as if joy threw in the towel and departed for distant lands. The small house, itself being so cloaked both in shadow and despair, that the structure appears on the verge of collapse from sheer depression. The windows, which seemed to occupy only the north, east and west sides could not have possibly allowed any light to enter the dwelling as they were shrouded by tall icy things that could only have been the corpses of long dead trees. While the sun did shine on the on the south side of the building, the wood itself seemed as if it devoured the sunlight before any could be reflected back. On the whole, the residence felt more like a grave than a place where the living called home. I have a fair amount of material prepared, more for some of the games than others.  Running a game where the party may split up either requires a second GM or making the players wait for an extending period of time.  I also welcome input on campaign and adventure ideas.  Writing is hard enough; writing in a vacuum is untenable.  The goal is to run a game with an enthusiastic group of players and record the games and/or live stream the games.  I expect to run a few 'one shot' adventures in order to screen potential players.
Well I am currently attempting to run a Cyberpunk2020 game and I think some help would be...helpful. I have a while to prepare but I have never done anything like this before and I think I could use some assistance just in case. I don't want to give out the campaign details here because I don't want the players to see it in case they find this post. 
I think this would have been a lot of fun but every one who responded or IM'd me has flaked out. So, I'm no longer interested.