Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Question about dnd 3.5 weapon portion of character sheet

Okay, first of all. I love the site and how it tries to make life on everyone easier...however. It fails to do that hard core for the weapon portion of the dnd 3.5 character sheets. There is no place to input proper attack bonus, proper damage, or anything of the like. Just a big box of coding that well frankly looks like gibberish to those of us who did not go to college to be able to write code. So, I'm going through the character sheet, filling in all the boxes. This level 5 rogue I'm making for test rolls I find the base attack box on the first part, fill that in, it auto fills in grapple. Great! But when I get to weapons. I can put in the +1 short sword with +1 enhancement, +1 weapon focus (like I said, testing purposes) and figuring my earlier input for base attack bonus would just add in to the str modifier, weapon enhancement, base attack bonus, and weapon focus bonus (14 str. So it should be 1d20+7 (2str, 1enhancement, 1weapon focus, 3base attack bonus) with damage of 1d6+3 Yet when I press the button to roll...I get the box saying Hitting ac 0 (an impossible number in a 1d20+7 scenario) for 0 damage (again an impossible number for 1d6+3.) Can someone either teach me code, or just fix the sheet program to be more user friendly please?

Edited 1500272472
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
(Moving this to Character Sheets.  It can easily be moved back to Bugs if this is a Roll20 issue rather than a sheet issue)
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It can be daunting at first but Diana's sheet is incredibly flexible and robust once you get the hang of it. A couple of screen shots will go a long way to being able to assist... could we see the following: Attributes/BAB section Weapon information Output to chat (preferably with the tooltip visible; hover over the attack roll to get that to display)

Edited 1500307168
I operate from a laptop which is basically a toaster attached to a small screen with a plastic keyboard at the base. So I apologize if the screen shots are rubbish. I can only fit so much on the screen with this crummy resolution.  The first requested screen shot, this part I got for the most part. The initiative with .08 at the end kind of confuses me, but ultimately I can deal with that. Also a shame to roll so well on a play test character lol Now, the second and third screen shot request I tried to combine into one screen shot, this is the tricky part for me. I noticed the damage defaults to 1d6, but what if he were using a long sword instead, In weapon tab one i tried to bump up the damage to a d8 but it did not take well to me changing 6 to 8 on the 1d6 part. The rest of the sheet works perfectly for me, it is literally just the most important part for an offensive non-spell caster of the sheet for rolls that I'm having the issue with.

Edited 1500312499
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
To fix the attack, remove the "+" sign from the Base Attack box.  The system already assumes that it is positive and does not handle a ++ well, it breaks the roll as you see in the hover text of the roll (the ++3[BAB] part).  If you needed to put a negative in there; the +- works fine, it's just the ++ that does not work.  I guess, if I can get motivated to work on the sheet again, I should put parentheses in everywhere to help prevent this issue. The .08 on the end of the initiative is to show what the initiative bonus is, for use in a tiebreaker if two characters roll the same value. You should be able to change the d6 to a d8 for a different weapon type; you need to click somewhere outside the box to get the change to stick, however, and you would need to change it in the crit calculation field as well. Hope that helps. edit: removed the redundant redundancies and fixed the wording of the subsequent sentance.
Okay, I can see the reason for the .0# then, that's a bit clever...and that single + sign was my undoing for 3 hours this morning LOL I feel like such a dufus now. I've done so many hand written sheets in the past 20 years that always putting +/- has become nature. Thanks for that guys.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
No worries, welcome to the learning curve ;) it's steep but worth the climb. I had a sneaking suspicion there was a double + issue at work! By the way, i wish my toaster would let me game while I prepare breakfast!! Happy rolling :)