Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Distance, Units, ECT.

Edited 1387863559
I was curious how people handle the distance tool. I like the idea, but it seems hard to make the distance that Roll20 Provides actually match up with the squares/hexes. So I use Hex Maps, and almost all my ranged stuff is based on Hex Range. There a way to just make Roll20 Count hexes as opposed to doing straight line distance and doing all this weird fractional math? In addition, anyone have a good system for figuring out how to make the 'units' equal to one in all cases? I tend to use slightly smaller than Unit 1 sizes, because the units are too big and I want the characters to see a much larger map generally. I guess there is zoom functionality, but it makes the maps akward to use at times when I can't pick a size and stick to it. The arbitrariness of units (and the fact that distance uses some weird math that isn't 1 to 1, even if you set 1 to 1). I'm just curious if there is some best practices for the grid that makes the distance tool actually useful without having these huge blown up maps that are basically super zoomed in and wicked grainy.

Edited 1387864106
Gauss
Forum Champion
Bryan , For hexes you can set the "Scale" to "1" and then change the measurement type to "Hex" For the second part of your post Im not entirely sure what you mean. If you could send me a join link I can check out your setup and advise you further.
Hi Gauss. Oh wow, thanks for that. I wasn't expecting all that effort haha. The issue is that I don't use the standard size, I use smaller hexes (usually about .75), and there is no setting I Can use to make the measurement tool count in increments of one, and i'm not positive why. I actually did what you suggested and that works, So now i'm confused why I had a problem. Just for clarity, I currently have a scale of 1 unit = 1 and then a grid size of .75 units, but it counts each as one ... does 1 = 1 have like special over-ride property or something? Because set up like this, I would expect each hex to be .75 units. (i'm not complaining, this is EXACTLY what I want, 1 to 1 for all hexes, I'm just not sure how the interface figured out to do it like that ... it looks like it is basically ignoring the grid size component.)

Edited 1388278440
If you set your future pages using the duplicate page button, it only copies settings. It'll save you a lot of repetitive configuration. *edit* 1=1, and .75 is based on the number of pixels per square inch. I'm pretty sure it's still 70x70 for a hex, but I could be wrong.

Edited 1387933063
Gauss
Forum Champion
Bryan , I believe the system counts the number of hexes and then multiplies it by the scale value. It uses a different setup than squares. For squares with nonstandard grid sizes you can use math to find out what the scale value should be. 1/grid size = multiplier for your scale value. Example: 1/0.75 = 1.33333333. Multiply that against 5feet and that gives you 6.6666666 feet for a scale. If you have further issues feel free to post them. :)