Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

How to integrate D&D Beyond with Roll20

As we are nearing release of D&D Beyond, I'm pondering. What thoughts do any of you have for using both D&D Beyond with Roll20? I like that D&D Beyond is official. That I'll have all my characters in one place, finally, with everything working as it should be. Though I haven't used Roll20 in a bit so maybe that's working better now. I'm trying to figure out where to spend my money in the future. I have a physical PHB, I have a Fantasy Grounds PHB, I have stuff from Roll20 that lets me make characters there, and I plan to buy a PHB here as well. Is that wise? I've been wanting digital D&D forever. I played massive amounts of 4e using MapTools. And over 800hours of Roll20 it seems. I bought Fantasy Grounds just to have official words in digital format, but it seems that D&D Beyond is better for that, right? Should I just stick with Roll20 since I like digital maps, or am I doing this all wrong? Thoughts? Opinions? Guidance?
Right now, if you're wanting to play D&D online with official resources over a VTT... the most economical choice is Fantasy Grounds due to the massive price drop on all the modules coming out soon. D&D Beyond is good for just being an official source/compendium, but no VTT... and you have to consider this. You can unlock the resources on D&DB, but you don't have access to them unless you're maintaining an active subscription. I believe you still have access to FG's modules. Roll20 doesn't have anything but monster manual information and map/adventure modules.
I'm curious if Roll20 is going to follow suit and lower their prices as well. It seems that $29.99 will be the standard for digital books going forward.