Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Skill Automation from one Macro

Edited 1502513595
Hello, I'm fairly new to using roll20 overall, and unfortunately know nothing about Javascript, though I am familiar with coding. &nbsp;I'm looking to create a skill macro that would query the player to select from a drop-down list of skills and roll the one selected. &nbsp;I have found this request which is similar to but not exactly what I want to create.&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3921216/slug%7D" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3921216/slug%7D</a> My understanding from many of the replies is that it seems to be the case that you would need to create macros on character sheets under "Abilities" in order to facilitate this - however, doing that would obviously be pretty time-consuming and the tradeoff may not be worthwhile. The main thing I'm wondering is whether these responses may predate the existence of rollable character sheets as I know these weren't always an available feature - I'm playing a 3.5 game using the main 3.5 sheet, and it has all the macros written into the sheet (the sections can even be expanded to reveal / edit the macros as preferred inside the sheet). Because of this, I'm wondering if it may be possible to query the macros that are in the sheet already, even if they aren't on the "ability" page of a given character, or if querying skill names would require specifically that they all be entered into the ability page individually. I've entered this on the API forums as a lot of my reading was suggesting this wasn't possible through normal queries, though perhaps that's changed with more recent updates - please advise me if this is better directed to the macro forum). Basically I'm trying to save time & space for players and also not require them to open the sheet every time they want to roll, but if it's more hassle than it's worth I may just have them roll from sheet. Help very much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Edited 1502515454
[Deleted]
Sheet Author
The thing is, it is possible, but in each "field" containing a macro, you would need to go through and use HTML replacements on the trouble symbols. At that point, it's as simple as calling the @{fieldname} (or whatever that field or attribute is called) and linking them together in a query. I guess if you did that, you could call the %{button} if you wanted to, but it would honestly amount to the same thing I believe.
Players can drag any button from a character sheet to their quickbar they want. Rename and even change their colors. No need to type anything in or open their sheet.
SFX said: you would need to go through and use HTML replacements on the trouble symbols. At that point, it's as simple as calling the @{fieldname} (or whatever that field or attribute is called) and linking them together in a query. I guess if you did that, you could call the %{button} if you wanted to, but it would honestly amount to the same thing I believe. I'm not totally clear on what you mean by the above. &nbsp;I'm not sure what an HTML replacement is, but basically you're saying that by adding those in it would be possible to specify the skills as selectable fields? Sky said: Players can drag any button from a character sheet to their quickbar they want. Rename and even change their colors. No need to type anything in or open their sheet. That's fair, but it's going to be a lot in the quickbar to load the whole 3.5 skill list onto it. &nbsp;If it was fairly easy, I found this preferable as a space-saving option. &nbsp;If it's not I may have to go for this though.
You do know you can minimize a character sheet by double clicking the top of it, right? Players can just keep that handy and open their character sheet and get to the skills pretty quickly.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
For something like this, I'd recommend making menus of ability command buttons. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros#Ability_Command_Buttons" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros#Ability_Command_Buttons</a>
Sky said: You do know you can minimize a character sheet by double clicking the top of it, right? Players can just keep that handy and open their character sheet and get to the skills pretty quickly. That's definitely a possibility. &nbsp;Just have some new players and the 3.5 sheet is admittedly pretty hefty (due to the system, not criticizing the design of the digital sheet). &nbsp;Could try that out if nothing else works though. Scott C. said: For something like this, I'd recommend making menus of ability command buttons. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros#Ability_Command_Buttons" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Macros#Ability_Command_Buttons</a> Do these just show up in the ability section or are they located somewhere else? If it's the latter I don't think I've ever seen those before..
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
This is a format that creates a button in the chat window for you to click on to trigger an ability. So, you'd do something like this: &{template:default} {{name=skills}} {{[Acrobatics](~charname|acrobatics)[Athletics](~charname|athletics)}} Giving you an output like this: You would of course replace the ability name with the appropriate one for your sheet.
When you say it creates the button in the chat window, do you need to enter the code there as a message and then it'll pop up? That could potentially work in terms of just requiring someone to know the one line and the ability names hopefully being fairly clear. I suppose you could also make the script into a macro and have the names filled in, unless OOO doesn't allow it or the ability buttons only trigger if it's entered in the chat directly..
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Right, but you can make it as an ability on a character sheet's attributes and abilities tab so that you can have the menu premade, only requiring the click of a single button to output the menu to chat.
Oh neat, I'll play around with that and see if I can make it look how I want, thanks!
James W.
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Be sure to have the ability whisper it either to yourself or the character (which will be seen by anyone with control permission) to avoid having the buttons show up in everyone's chat logs.