Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

New DM needs help with creating a final boss of the mage variety

Edited 1502676162
I have put my own personal twist on Caverns of the Damned one-shot (iirc the official name, I've changed the name to The Gauntlet). I have for the moment been using a combination of Kobold Fight Club and RPG Tinker to help me create a final boss (should the party decide to return to town and fight). The boss is a Drow Mage and he will be by himself against a party of SIX level 3 characters. I want this boss to be a hard fight but I am struggling despite the assistance from these two pages. I've used KFC to help point me towards a general difficulty setting for the battle and RPG Tinker to help with setting the specifics (from character stats all the way down to specific spells). Now I am looking at the spell list which contains things Disintegrate and Chain Lightning. Just those two spells alone could quite easily damn near wipe away a siginificant portion of the party before the first couple rounds have passed and the party has a realistic chance to act. I want him to be hard and almost a deadly threat but I am being really put off by the access to the sort of spells this NPC will have. Any advice on what to do? Or could I multi-class him? I could be a bit of DM you-know-what and make him a cleric as well ha! This is what KFC says: Easy: 450 exp Medium: 900 exp Hard: 1,350 exp Deadly: 2,400 exp Then again looking at RPG Tinker I may be getting confused. KFC says a CR of 7 is a bit of a fight for this sort of party whereas a CR of 12 is probably too much. My mage I have put together with the aid of RPG tinker has a CR of 9 but is worth apparently 5000 exp. Which is double what KFC recommends. Any help will be hugely appreciated! I want my first DM session to start soon :) I do have an idea regarding an old man in a tavern the party meets (whether to make him a secret mage who will help the party in the final confrontation IDK - but adding him will throw the balance out the window and make the fight too easy Im thinking)
Silvyre
Forum Champion
From the Roll20 Community Code of Conduct : The Roll20 Forums exist to discuss topics directly related to the use of the Roll20 program. Anything that more fittingly could be discussed on another website SHOULD be discussed there. Here are some good places to discuss this topic: /r/rpg /r/dnd /r/dndnext