Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Questions about Tomb of Annihilation

I have a Plus account. If I purchase the Tomb of Annihilation from Roll20, can I then export the monsters to my vault to use in my other Roll20 adventures? Thanks!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Yes.  All the characters in a module are able to be moved out to the Character Vault by whomever has access to them, particularly the GM.  You would create a game based on the module as normal, then use the Character Vault to pull the monsters of interest into your Vault and export them to games you had created or which you have been invited to.  You will need to be sure the destination Game has importing from the Character Vault turned on, as it is off by default.
The Aaron said: Yes.  All the characters in a module are able to be moved out to the Character Vault by whomever has access to them, particularly the GM.  You would create a game based on the module as normal, then use the Character Vault to pull the monsters of interest into your Vault and export them to games you had created or which you have been invited to.  You will need to be sure the destination Game has importing from the Character Vault turned on, as it is off by default. Sorry, perhaps I need to clarify. I want to know, if I purchase the Tomb of Annihilation module on Roll20, can I export the monsters/NPCs that it comes with to my vault, and use them in a completely different, non-ToA adventure I create and DM with my Plus account? In other words, does my purchase of ToA let me add the monsters/NPCs it comes with to a sort of personal Monster Manual within Roll20? If Yes, then it is infinitely more valuable.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Yes, inasmuch as your Character Vault can be your own personal Monster Manual.  It does not add them to the Compendium the way that the Monster Manual or Volo's Guide do.  Once you've created a Game from a Module, the characters (NPCs, Monsters, etc) behave just like characters you create in your own games.  You can edit them, categorize them in folders, Character Vault them into other places.  With a Pro Subscription, you can Transmogrify them across to other games.
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Modules currently only allow for the monsters/NPCs to exist in the module, not as Compendium updates. So they can be copied via Character Vault or Transmogrifier, but cannot be dragged out like the Monster Manual or Volo's Guide. 
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
mjsoctober said: The Aaron said: Yes.  All the characters in a module are able to be moved out to the Character Vault by whomever has access to them, particularly the GM.  You would create a game based on the module as normal, then use the Character Vault to pull the monsters of interest into your Vault and export them to games you had created or which you have been invited to.  You will need to be sure the destination Game has importing from the Character Vault turned on, as it is off by default. Sorry, perhaps I need to clarify. I want to know, if I purchase the Tomb of Annihilation module on Roll20, can I export the monsters/NPCs that it comes with to my vault, and use them in a completely different, non-ToA adventure I create and DM with my Plus account? In other words, does my purchase of ToA let me add the monsters/NPCs it comes with to a sort of personal Monster Manual within Roll20? If Yes, then it is infinitely more valuable. In a lot of ways, Roll20 doesn't tell the difference between PCs and NPCs and Monsters for the GM.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Andrew (Halfling Gypsy) said: mjsoctober said: The Aaron said: Yes.  All the characters in a module are able to be moved out to the Character Vault by whomever has access to them, particularly the GM.  You would create a game based on the module as normal, then use the Character Vault to pull the monsters of interest into your Vault and export them to games you had created or which you have been invited to.  You will need to be sure the destination Game has importing from the Character Vault turned on, as it is off by default. Sorry, perhaps I need to clarify. I want to know, if I purchase the Tomb of Annihilation module on Roll20, can I export the monsters/NPCs that it comes with to my vault, and use them in a completely different, non-ToA adventure I create and DM with my Plus account? In other words, does my purchase of ToA let me add the monsters/NPCs it comes with to a sort of personal Monster Manual within Roll20? If Yes, then it is infinitely more valuable. In a lot of ways, Roll20 doesn't tell the difference between PCs and NPCs and Monsters for the GM. Deep down, when you really think about it... we are all just journal entries in the VTT of life right? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Stepping away from Monsters and NPCs.....can the same be said for the material items like handouts/maps, etc.? Can those items from ToA be transferred in to an already running campaign game? 
DM Alex said: Stepping away from Monsters and NPCs.....can the same be said for the material items like handouts/maps, etc.? Can those items from ToA be transferred in to an already running campaign game?  Through the use of the transmogrifier, a pro subscription feature, yes.