Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Help] Ship Configuration grid

XophRA
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
There is one aspect of the Free Spacer sheets I have been unable to figure out how to approach. The ship sheet has a Configuration Grid , which enables the players to put different systems and modules in the different sections of their starship. At the tabletop, the players label and draw boxes on the pictured grid to represent each component's location and relative size. Does anyone know how to make this and make it work?
Zargon
Sheet Author
Hmm... I haven't personally tried the first of these but here are two options: Closest recreation - start with your standard grid of text controls matching the grid, add a duplicate grid of checkboxes shifted half a cell right in the background,add a second duplicate grid of checkboxes shifted down half a cell in the background.  Add a sheet worker that updates these background checkboxes if the text of the attributes on both sides match.  By strategically placing hidden checkboxes from the two offset grids in the table you can use CSS in order to enable or disable the sides of the border on any given square.  The performance on this would likely be terrible. Matching Information - Replace the grid of boxes with a table of Number inputs.  Add repeating section to specify the names associated with each number.  Not pretty, but it gets the job done fast.
XophRA
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Okay Zargo, I don't entirely understand Option 1, but it sounds difficult and convoluted. As for Option 2 , that sounds interesting. The most important aspects are Summing and location. First we need to Sum all the components to ensure they do not fill more than 75 Ship Units per section. Second, we need to know which section each component is in. Can you sum with repeating sections? Finally, perhaps I can do this with a graph. Four bars, on on the front, one on the bottom, and one on each side facing out. Each bar would fill more, the more in its section.  I think I need to clear a couple days to dig into the API for these sorts of things.
Zargon
Sheet Author
There is probably a bit of confusion going on here seeing as I have no idea of exactly how you are using the grid in actual play.  I am working under the assumption that the 2d layout is important and what ends up next to each other in the grid actually matters, and what any particular square represents is the only information you need to store.  It could be helpful if you provide an example of what this grid would look like after a bit of play. The first of the two options is indeed horrifically convoluted. As for the second option a better text example of what I intend (only featuring 12 spots because I have other things to do): Grid of Text inputs: 1 2 3 3 1 2 2 3 1 4 4 _ Repeating Section: 1- System A 2- System B 3- System C 4- System D Seeing as you would only provide 75 text inputs for each section it would be impossible for you to violate the totals involved. If you don't actually care where things end up in the grid, and only really care about how many spaces it occupies and in which grid it ends up it would be easiest to just use a repeating section, and use a Sheet Worker to add up the total number of used spaces. ( One of Many threads on the topic )

Edited 1505341265
XophRA
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
So no it doesnt matter what system is next to another, but some systems must be in the same section as a particular module. The Hyproponics must be in the same section as the BioLab, for example. Okay, here is an example of two section of the ship: Bow:  This section is configured as a Cargo bay, but there is unallocating room left for three Armour Slots. Starboard : This section contains the Shield system, Pulse Array, the bridge, Ready room (including airlock), Lounge, and a set of concealed compartments. One of the three Armour Slots has been installed. There are 4 SU remaining, room enough for the two Armour Slots and a Suite to be installed at a later date.
Zargon
Sheet Author
Yeah, in that case your best bet would be 1 or 4 repeating sections to store those details and a Sheet worker to keep track of the total used space. Repeating Section instructions I am probably not the best person around here to give you advice on sheetworkers as I haven't dealt with them before.
XophRA
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Yeah, I'm going to have to reserve some time to dig into the API. Thanks.
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
XophRA said: Yeah, I'm going to have to reserve some time to dig into the API. Thanks. Sheet workers != API.
XophRA
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
And learn the difference between API and sheet workers.