Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Open Ended and Under Ended Rolls

For the system I'm using, it uses d100 and open and under ended rolls.  That means if you roll over a 95 or above, you roll again and add that to your roll.  I can accomplish that with d100!>96.  But if you roll under a 5, you roll again and SUBTRACT that from your roll.  The problem with the exploding dice formula is that it still adds, so d100!<4 will add the 2nd roll to your first instead of subtract it.  Any suggestions?  Can the devs add a new method of "imploding dice" maybe?  :-)
Diana P
Pro
Sheet Author
What I end up using for my games is:  [[1d100!>96cf<5cf=66cs=66cs=100 (+modifiers etc) ]] and then looking for the red to know that I need to roll an additional 1d100!>96 and subtract it from the original value.    This particular roll will be coded red (failure) for a <5 (that's the cf<5 part),  it will be coded blue (mixed) for a natural 66 (that's the cf=66cs=66 part) and will be coded green (critical success) for a natural 100 (that's the cs=100 part). Obviously if you don't need the color coding for the natural 66 and 100, you can ignore those parts of the roll. :) When I'm being lazy, I run a second macro which looks like:    final result: [[?{OELow roll?|0} - (1d100!>96)]] otherwise I just do the subtraction manually.  :) Hope that helps.