Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Tortle Package Adventure on Roll20 Marketplace?

Will the Tortle package (and adventure) released on DMsGuild and Beyond yesterday be available on Roll20? I don't see it in the marketplace at present.
B Simon Smith
Marketplace Creator
The DMsGuild and Roll20 are separate companies, and in order for something to appear in both places would depend entirely upon licensing and the speed of the creator.

Edited 1505953369
Not sure what you're saying exactly.  Yes, Roll20 would obviously have to license the content, just as they did with the rest of the Tomb of Annihilation hardcover they're selling at an undiscounted price. I received this reply from Roll20's facebook page, which probably signals "no" at least for now: "We do not currently offer any DMs Guild adventures on Roll20." Which is a shame, because the Tortle Package is a ToA extension from WotC currently available on DMsGuild and D&D Beyond, and there are a bunch of extra ToA monsters and a playable PC race offered in it as well as the adventure which ties in closely to the ToA hardcover.
I believe the DM's Guild specifically precludes selling the content anywhere else. It's why the Critical Role Tal'dorei campaign setting doesn't have the blood hunter class in the book. It is up for sale on the DM's Guild. So anything being sold there can't be sold elsewhere.
<sigh> I just pointed out that the Tortle package is for sale on BOTH DMsGuild AND D&D Beyond.
Michael Balin said: <sigh> I just pointed out that the Tortle package is for sale on BOTH DMsGuild AND D&D Beyond. That's a special arrangement probably due to how close DDB is with WotC.
Maybe, maybe not.  The point is that it would be good for Roll20 to enter into a similar arrangement if at all possible, wouldn't it?  At least before FG does.  (It would also be nice to see Roll20 get the 50% discount pricing that FG and Beyond get too in the interests of parity, but that's another arrangement.)
I don't get the argument about prize of the adventures here and D&D Beyond. The work that must be done here on Roll20 to fully prepare the adventure with all the maps with dynamic lighting, all the tokens, handouts, etc. That work must be pay for + license from WotC cost something and I will imagine, that will not be cheap. On D&D Beyond you just got the book in wiki style with search function.
I'm a Roll20 person, not a FG or Beyond person, and I agree that the amount of preparation the Roll20 Team does is certainly more than for the other platforms, but it's not hugely more.  in all three products all the stat blocks are made available in a similarly functional way, so they can be used, not just looked at.  You get all the artwork and handouts in Beyond also, and the spells which are missing from the SRD which aren't available in Roll20 at all at this time.  Personally I'd like to see Roll20 make its content easier to use when playing the game in person or offline so that the Roll20 version can be a single solution.
Question for everyone/anyone: I bought this on DMs Guild, and trying to run the adventure on Roll20 and the map resolution from the PDF isn't really good enough to turn into a map.  Has anyone tried this?  Is the map resolution in the Beyond version better.  Feeling bummed about this at the moment.
Well FG now have this. I am curious about the statements claiming the effort and preparation for Roll20 add-ons being more than other platforms. Isn't it the same content?  Also, if stuff is missing in the Roll20 version, how does that compare? (p.s. I am not a FG person either). 
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Ray said: Well FG now have this. I am curious about the statements claiming the effort and preparation for Roll20 add-ons being more than other platforms. Isn't it the same content?  Also, if stuff is missing in the Roll20 version, how does that compare? (p.s. I am not a FG person either).  It is,but Roll20 sets up the dynamic lighting on the map, stats out any characters there might be, and transfers all of the info from the adventure/rulebook into crosslinked handouts/characters for easy access and use while running. For something like a full adventure such as SKT, the dynamic lighting and character statting alone is probably 100+ hours. The cross-linking of handouts is probably as long or longer. Not sure about D&D beyond, but FG doesn't even have DL functionality as far as I'm aware,so that setup time isn't even part of their product. And from the FG description, I'm not sure the NPCs are fully started out. of course I've never used FG because who has the cash for 2 VTT's?

Edited 1507317961
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Michael T. said: Question for everyone/anyone: I bought this on DMs Guild, and trying to run the adventure on Roll20 and the map resolution from the PDF isn't really good enough to turn into a map.  Has anyone tried this?  Is the map resolution in the Beyond version better.  Feeling bummed about this at the moment. I ended up buying on both - you can purchase just the Compendium Content from DNDBeyond for less than the full price. This basically gives you a digital version of the booklet (think a PDF, but on a web page). It includes everything in the Tortle Package. It just hasn't set up monsters within the DNDBeyond app for use, and doesn't add the Tortle to the character builder etc. But all the info for using those items (stat blocks, etc) is in the Compendium Content.  The maps themselves are much higher resolution than the PDF, and are great for using here on Roll20.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
This is what I have seen stated for any question about releases Roll20 Team The Devs are absolutely working on D&D 5th Edition content. Their goal is to release products (both new and backlist titles) on a regular basis. As a part of their licensing agreement, they can’t reveal specifics until they're closer to completion and with the agreement of the licensor (in this case Wizards of the Coast). They will make those announcements here on the forums, as well as the blog , twitter , and via their mailing list (if you’re not signed up for that, you can join here ).
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .