Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Needing help with coding... d12 success pool w/ a twist.

OK, first I apologize if this post is in the wrong spot or a duplication of someone else posting... Going forward with the request. What I am ultimately trying to do is make a macro for a custom game that I am developing. D12 success pool much like any other success pool api out there, but here is the twist. 1 = failures and take away successes. 8 thru 12 = successes 12 = is exponential; meaning any 12's rolled in a given roll will take on the value of all 12's rolled. example 1: 5 dice (d12) are rolled: 3,5,6,7,12 = 1 successes example 2: 6 dice are rolled: 1,5,8,9,10,12 = 3 successes example 3: 4 dice are rolled: 4,6,12,12 = 4 successes example 4: 5 dice are rolled: 3,5,10,12,12 = 5 successes Here is the code that i have so far. (btw: something is not right here... it doesn't work with roll20 yet.) Please help "help me, obi won code-nobi. you are our only hope" <code> Number of Dice: <input type="text" name="roll_count" id="roll_count" size="3"> <button value="Roll" onclick="alert(roll(document.getElementById('roll_count').value));"> Roll </button> function roll(number_of_dice) { var successes = 0; var twelve_count = 0; var twelve_successes = 0; var roll = []; for (i = 0; i < number_of_dice; i++) { roll[i] = Math.floor(Math.random() * 12) + 1; } alert("You rolled: " + roll); for (i = 0; i < roll.length; i++) { //alert(i); if (roll[i] > 8) { if (roll[i] == 12) { twelve_count++; } else { successes++; } twelve_successes = Math.pow(twelve_count, 2); successes = successes + twelve_successes; } else { successes--; } } return ("Wins:" + successes); }
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Should example 2 be 4 successes instead of 3? The Roll20 API is not like writing JavaScript in a webpage, it has much more in common with a node module. I'd suggest looking at some example scripts and the wiki docs to get an idea. 
The Aaron said: Should example 2 be 4 successes instead of 3? example 2: 6 dice are rolled: 1,5,8,9,10,12 = 3 successes If I'm interpreting Wallace's rules correctly: one 12 means "12"s are worth one success 8, 9, 10 = three successes 1 = one anti-success (failure) (1*1)+(1+1+1)+(-1) = three successes
Loki
Sheet Author
I guess, the "1" in example 2 negates one of the four succeses (8,9,10,12), leaving three successes.

Edited 1506433050
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Ah, I see.  That will teach me to respond in the middle of the night! =D Here's a minimal script that does implements these rules: on('ready',()=>{     const roll = (dice) => {         const d12 = () => randomInteger(12),             val = (n) => n===12 ? 'd' : n===1 ? 'f' : _.contains([8,9,10,11],n) ? 'p' : 'z';          let res = {             rolls: _.sortBy(_.times(dice, d12),_.identity),             successes: 0,         };         let pts = _.countBy(res.rolls,val);         res.successes = ((pts.f||0)*-1) + (pts.p||0) + ((pts.d||0)*(pts.d||0));         return res;     };     on('chat:message',(msg)=>{         if(msg.type==='api' && msg.content.match(/^!roll/)){             let args = msg.content.split(/\s+/);             let dice = parseInt(args[1],10)||0;             if(dice>0){                 let res = roll(dice);                 sendChat('roller',`Result: <b>${res.successes}</b>, rolled: ${res.rolls}`);             } else {                 let who=(getObj('player',msg.playerid)||{get:()=>'API'}).get('_displayname');                 sendChat('roller',`/w "${who}" <div><code>!roll NUMBER</code> to roll the dice.</div>`);             }         }     }); }); Call it with: !roll 5 in the chat. Some example rolls:
Thank you very much! I will try this out after work today!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
No problem!  It's kind of tersely written, because that's how I write things, but I'm happy to explain any parts of it.  It uses a bunch of Javascript ES6 syntax (fat arrow functions: "(arg)=>body", const, let, ` ` template literals, etc) and underscore.js (_.times, _.countby, _.contains, etc), and Roll20's API interface functions ( on() for registering event handlers, randomInteger() for getting die rolls, sendChat() for output to the chat panel). Let me know how I can help!