Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Prettier Rollable Tables

Score + 31
Currently, the rollable table is rather ugly and has limited functionality. I'd like to use a rollable table to quickly give out magic items to players, but as it is, it's barely more convenient than just having players roll a d100. Here are some example of what I'm talking about. Example A: If you give your rollable table item a token, it shrinks it down to a very small, barely visible size. You are not able to enlarge the image in any way. You can hover over the image and see the name for the table item rolled, but still not much in the way of convenience. Example B: When the Table Item doesn't have a token, it will display the Items name in large text. Certainly not the worst thing, being able to note the exact page I need is useful, but it still requires me to bust out the DMG and flip through to find the item description and then read it out loud to the players. I also think that the "rolling 1t[MagicItemTable]", brackets in the text box and the "= 0" (it always equals zero) are unnecessary and makes it look cluttered. Also as a side note, the rollable table currently doesn't roll dice for you, so even if I'd put in [[2d4]], it would have rolled that, it would just show me the text. Here are my proposed solutions for making the rollable table look nicer and have better functionality. Proposition A: "It'll do" example For this example, I'll assume that it's not possible to remove the "rolling 1t[MagicItemTable]", or the "= 0". This rollable table would work in much the same way that handouts with images work. When you roll the table with an image inserted, you're able to click the image and it will pop-up in the centre of the screen showing a full-size picture. While not perfect, in that the player would still have to write out notes themselves if they wanted to remember things and because once the image goes into the chat archive, it will likely disappear, but in terms of "I just need to make this random magic item roll quickly", it does the job. Proposition B: "Prefered Prettiness" For this example, I'm suggesting we be able to write macros in the Table Items so that we can output something like the above. It's very tidy and allows players to copy/paste the text for later.
Gold
Forum Champion
Great ideas and screenshot / mockups, Camen. I'd like to see new features on Rollable Tables too, like this Suggestion says. Here is a related thread on the same subject, if you would like to add Comments or vote +1 to help associate them together, <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2645142/improvem" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/2645142/improvem</a>...
The ability to attach macros to rollable table items would be incredibly useful, not just for looks. For example, take the Sorcerer's Wild Magic Surge table from DnD 5e. Instead of just posting "You regain 2d10 hit points" in the chat you could easily post a macro with the roll inline "You regain [[2d10]] hit points". Or "You cast grease centered on yourself" could also bring up the spell card for grease. It may also help immersion if some of the results were whispered to the gm if the effects would not be immediately obvious to the player, which could be done with a macro. You could also do things like nested loot tables, i.e. the first table determines which table you roll on next, etc. I'm currently writing a script for the Wild Magic Surge table in my own game that does some of these things, but if I could attach macros to a rollable table I wouldn't need to&nbsp;
Hi, hope that anyone woould reply to this old thread, but I didn't find a newer one. I tried to use rollable tables for random encounters and got so far as to use such a macro: /w gm &{template:npcaction} {{rname= Random Encounter}} {{name= Encounters}} {{description=[[1t[Random-Encounters]]] }} This is fine, but I couldn't get evaluated an inside roll there. What I mean is, the output of the macro remains: Has anybody an idea how to get the [[4d8]] rolled? The appropriate table item is&nbsp; of course just "[[4d8]]Goblins". Thanks in advance!
Hi Bernd, Currently rollable tables can only produce the exact text that is stored in the values. Unfortunately, this means that inline calculations are not possible at this time. However if you were to upgrade to the Pro subscription, The Aaron has a script (Recursive Tables) that would be able to perform that calculation for as well as give you the ability to call other tables from within a table.&nbsp;
Bernd S. said: Hi, hope that anyone woould reply to this old thread, but I didn't find a newer one. I tried to use rollable tables for random encounters and got so far as to use such a macro: /w gm &{template:npcaction} {{rname= Random Encounter}} {{name= Encounters}} {{description=[[1t[Random-Encounters]]] }} This is fine, but I couldn't get evaluated an inside roll there. What I mean is, the output of the macro remains: Has anybody an idea how to get the [[4d8]] rolled? The appropriate table item is&nbsp; of course just "[[4d8]]Goblins". Thanks in advance! That is how they currently work. The only way to make it roll that number is to use an API script. What you can do without a pro subscription is just highlight the [[4d6]] and copy it then paste it back into chat and hit enter. It's not as nice, but it works for now.

Edited 1506965876
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Camen L. said: I also think that the "rolling 1t[MagicItemTable]", brackets in the text box and the "= 0" (it always equals zero) are unnecessary and makes it look cluttered. If the name(s) of the table items rolled start with numbers, those numbers will be summed, and you'll get "= 5" or whatever, instead of 0. You're seeing 0 because the tables you're trying have just text. This is relevant for games such as the ones using variants of the Storyteller system (Vampire, Mage, Exalted, etc.), where you roll a pool of d10s, and dice that land over some threshold (usually 6 or 7) are 1 success (which could be handled by Xd10&gt;Y), but 10s are two successes (which the dice engine doesn't support without rollable tables). Bernd S. said: Has anybody an idea how to get the [[4d8]] rolled? The appropriate table item is&nbsp; of course just "[[4d8]]Goblins". Thanks in advance! It would take a lot of work, especially if the Random-Encounters table has a lot of entries, but instead of one table item with the value "[[4d8]] Goblins", you could have a table item with "4 Goblins", another with "5 Goblins", etc. and weight them appropriately to match the probability of the 4d8. The problem comes when you've got other items in the Random-Encounters table that you would also need to weight against. It's possible to set up, but tedious.
Brian said: Camen L. said: I also think that the "rolling 1t[MagicItemTable]", brackets in the text box and the "= 0" (it always equals zero) are unnecessary and makes it look cluttered. If the name(s) of the table items rolled start with numbers, those numbers will be summed, and you'll get "= 5" or whatever, instead of 0. You're seeing 0 because the tables you're trying have just text. This is relevant for games such as the ones using variants of the Storyteller system (Vampire, Mage, Exalted, etc.), where you roll a pool of d10s, and dice that land over some threshold (usually 6 or 7) are 1 success (which could be handled by Xd10&gt;Y), but 10s are two successes (which the dice engine doesn't support without rollable tables). Bernd S. said: Has anybody an idea how to get the [[4d8]] rolled? The appropriate table item is&nbsp; of course just "[[4d8]]Goblins". Thanks in advance! It would take a lot of work, especially if the Random-Encounters table has a lot of entries, but instead of one table item with the value "[[4d8]] Goblins", you could have a table item with "4 Goblins", another with "5 Goblins", etc. and weight them appropriately to match the probability of the 4d8. The problem comes when you've got other items in the Random-Encounters table that you would also need to weight against. It's possible to set up, but tedious. Thanks to all for the quick answers. That's ok for me as it is.
i use api to do inline rolls with-in a roll table using The aaron's Script called recursive tables i also have a marco setup to call to this Rolltable so i know it is possible to do. To Setup a roll table that when configured right would&nbsp; !rt [loot1] = 3Gold clicked again would roll some thing else in the example i have it set to roll [1d4]Gold... Now API can do alot and i understand why it is a pro level requirement to use it as well as needing to be GM but it would be nice to see roll20 nativly support some of the fine work done by the scripters&nbsp;