Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Update, Submit new or keep as own?

Edited 1507126907
Nicolaj G.
Sheet Author
Hello! I have been updating a character sheet for my own campaign, but I was thinking that maybe a lot of people could benefit from it too. The problem is, the current Roll20 sheet on GitHub is very old, but some people might still be using it. My sheet has some significant underlying changes to the code structure to both remove redundancy and change basically all classes and attributes to "future-proof" it, since I plan on updating it for some time to get better at HTML. So my question is, should I submit my updates to the current one, or would it be better to submit it as a new sheet, or would it just be best if I kept it to myself as a custom sheet and share the .HTML and .CSS with those who might be interested? And how do I go about updating/submitting it? I read the GitHub guide, but I am still unclear how precisely I submit or update a sheet.
Giger
Pro
API Scripter
A new one is probably best, so to not compete with developer changes. I just went through this. Github isn't super intuitive, but follow the instructions on branching then you use the "Create new file" button to create both the folder structure and files you'll need. Once you're done you create a pull request and someone will review and approve it.
Thank you, Giger, that's probably a good idea, and thank you for the help on the Github issue!
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Roll20 tries to avoid having multiple sheets for the same system. If the existing sheet isn't being maintained, updating it is the best course of action. However, note that you'll be expected to have the new version compatible with any existing characters (this may mean writing a sheet worker script to migrate old attributes to new ones).
Okay, that sounds like a ton or more work, since I barely know what I'm doing now. Doesn't a Worker Script require the GM to be a Pro Subscriber to be able to use the sheet?
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Nimgaard said: Okay, that sounds like a ton or more work, since I barely know what I'm doing now. Doesn't a Worker Script require the GM to be a Pro Subscriber to be able to use the sheet? A lot of work? Yes, more than likely...it all depends on if you changed the names of existing fields to something different, etc. Sheet Workers do not require a Pro subscription.  API access does require a Pro subscription, but Sheet Workers aren't the API.

Edited 1507148721
Nicolaj G.
Sheet Author
Finderski said: Nimgaard said: Okay, that sounds like a ton or more work, since I barely know what I'm doing now. Doesn't a Worker Script require the GM to be a Pro Subscriber to be able to use the sheet? A lot of work? Yes, more than likely...it all depends on if you changed the names of existing fields to something different, etc. Sheet Workers do not require a Pro subscription.  API access does require a Pro subscription, but Sheet Workers aren't the API. Alright. Yeah, I changed all the attribute-names since they were in Swedish (not just text, but the attributes themselves were in Swedish) and some others didn't make a lot of sense. But it might be worth looking at. Otherwie I will jsut keep the sheet for my own personal use,if it will be too much hassle to submit to Roll20.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Nimgaard, I would highly recommend looking into sheetworkers when you do decide on letting your sheet go public. I used sheetworkers when I created my version of a sheet so that people using the old sheet did not loose their information.
I just want to thank everyone in this thread. I managed to get it fully updated, made a translation file by hand and made the Sheet Worker script to make it backwards compatible! Hopefully this will allow it to be updated on Roll20. Thanks again!
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Make sure you double check everything twice and expect to have missed something also. What I do is have a character of the old sheet in the character vault and import it into the test game where I crafted the sheet. This lets me see if the sheetworkers fired properly and see if everything works fully also. I invited a handful of people into the game also so I can get their feedback. Something to think about.