Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

I want to start DMing

I’ve played D&D as a player on and off for about 2 years and recently I’ve become interested in perhaps Dming a campign however I have no idea what I need to start one . Anyone have recommendations for a rising Dm? Like things to buy or helpful tips etc... Feel free to dm me with recommendations. Thanks!
The starter set is good, it's was what I did when I started. I haven't done the Master Vault here on roll20, but I've heard great things about it as well. Welcome and good luck!
I would advise a starter set as well. Just get your feet wet with the knowledge of what you'll have to do for a game prep and running it.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Gilder. Congrats on choosing to take the next step. GMing on roll20 does take some slightly more prep work than a face to face game (if you use maps) but there are free stuff on roll20 such as the Master's Vault. I would recommend looking on youtube for some basic GM/DM tips and how to's then build a game (go for a one shot type so you don't get overwhelmed or frustrated). What system are you planning to use? If it is 5e then you will need to decide on the sheet as, I think, there are three 5e sheets to choose from. If it is not 5e then you might need to see if there is a sheet created for the system you are planing to run. I'm not going to suggest anything to purchase yet as there is enough free stuff to start with and get your feet wet. Once you get comfortable and like running games, there are many different marketplace assets to look over and purchase but those can wait for now. That is my opinion.
Matthew Colville is a wise man and offers a lot of good tips for DM's of all levels of experience in his ' Running the Game ' youtube series.
Munky
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
First time I DMed,  I just had fun with it.  I warned my Players it was my first time and Noone cared, and in fact they were really happy to help guide me on what I needed to do, and from there I add libbed 90% of the session,  and just played loose.  I gotta feel for what my players wanted and did what I could to make it fun for everyone. The most prep I did for that first session was I searched for a decent inn map,  a decent trail map for a random encounter, created an interesting NPC for them to get a quest from,  and sent them off into the woods to find some bandits.  It was very cliche,  but everyone had fun. Don't ever be afraid of common tropes and encounters,  or the cliche tavern gathering to get your feet wet.  Those popular common scenes are popular and common because they work, after all.  At the end of the day,  just have fun with it,  because that's what we are all here for,  man. 
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
*tries to resist urge to plug his own stuff on the Marketplace* But yeah, have a bunch of fun. Don't be scared of running the D&D equivalent of Die Hard... turn up, get attacked, go on killing spree until enemies stop coming. :p
Like Jase said Matthew Colville is great if you have time to watch for general tips but  the key that most of it boils down to is communication, let your players know its your first time, if you can get a group together of people your familiar with its even better, but 90% of players will be happy to play with you and let you take time learning (the other small percentage you will probably wont want in your games anyway). Be willing to take feedback on your DM'ing (infact welcome it) but try not to get offended if someone raises an issue with the way your doing things, the last quick thing I'd like to make a point on is that as a DM don't feel you have to know everything, I have players that I can turn to and will help me remember rulings etc.
You've already gotten some sage advices here, the only thing I'll add is that a wrong decision now is better than the right decision after 5 minutes of rule searching. Allowing for the fact that you may not know how to handle a lot of things now - if your players know the rule you need, great; if not - make a ruling quickly and look it up after the game for next time.
The rules are just tools and the game never stops . Like Perry T. said, make a snap judgement and let players research the right answer between games.Don't be afriad to indulge what your players want to do. Encourage an environment where they try to push the boundaries and come up with creative solutions, and have the fail states of those solutions be hilarious and as interesting as the successes.
I would advise you to download several free adventures, there are herds of them out there. Read them obsessively for a couple of weeks. Then maybe run one, just to get the pacing. After that write your own. Nobody can get into your brain and show what you want to give your players better than you. Sweating out a four or five session scenario will be tough, but when you present it it will flow much better than anything you have dug up somewhere. Unless you have amnesia you will always know exactly what you meant when you wrote it. Continuity will always be easier using your own material. I have a library of canned adventures, haven't used one since about 1982 in D&D. 
First of all I would like to thank you guys for your help. I’ve watched the recommended videos and have decided to create a homebrew campaign to run. But I will run a 1 shot for now. I thank you all again for this great feedback
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
We've strayed away from the Roll20 aspect of GMing games, and the OP is satisfied, sooo... From the Roll20 Community Code of Conduct : The Roll20 Forums exist to discuss topics directly related to the use of the Roll20 program. Anything that more fittingly could be discussed on another website SHOULD be discussed there. Here are some good places to continue discussing this topic: /r/rpg /r/gamemasters