Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

"NOT NOW JASON" [Meme]

I just want you to know I just spent an hour generating Jason Quill memes. I cranked out over fifty of them, so they should last in the game plenty long. And because everyone re-memes memes ... And, of course, themes and variations ... (Why, no, I would never even think of going through Imgflip's list of most popular meme templates. Banish the thought.) Anyway, you've been warned.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
That first one, the text + facial expressions, is solid gold.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
I'm also grateful to Dave for playing Jason as the annoyed straight man for the session. Awhile back we talked about the qualities of maturity - "kids above age X don't take stickers" was the metaphor. I got to play Leo toggling from "we need to be serious about saving the world" to "LOL I told a Jason joke", something he'll ruefully regret later. But I couldn't have done that without Dave being game.
All jocular evidence to the contrary, it sometimes feels like I spend much of my RL as annoyed straight man. :-) It's fun channeling that into Jason, who, despite a bout of teen ennui following his Dad's "death," is really way too earnest for his own good (I suppose having a terminal condition hasn't helped that). He still has a few stickers moments (like the comment elsethread about a positive JQ meme), but, then, don't we all? One reason I spent so much time on doing these because they really would annoy Jason (which is always amusing to me), for the phrase itself and for the chronic misgrammaring of it and for its unfathomable popularity  and  for places where people misquote it (or use "your" or something like that). Those are all contradictory, but that's our Jason, who comes by his  CDO honestly from both his fictional and real "parent." I find playing him as the guy who keeps trying to take this all more seriously than everyone else -- because he feels he should , and still ends up doing that wrong, because he's not necessarily focused on the right things to take seriously -- endlessly entertaining, and if that let's others have fun with it, too, that's even better.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Jason goes pale and hard-shuts-down the computer ...
*** Dave H. said: Jason goes pale and hard-shuts-down the computer ... The Jalyica shipping community is huge.  It's like the number 3 tag on the HeroFic Archive.  You won't be able to outrun them for long.
Also, relevant data:
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
I started collecting game-specific memes in a Pinterest board, but Pinterest just crapped out for me. I'll finish it up and post the link here once things are back to normal. If anyone wants to contribute their own, I'll add you to the board.
I would love to upload all the ones I've done. Easier to link into Roll20. :-)
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
<a href="https://www.pinterest.com/memesisgmailcom/menagerie-memes/" rel="nofollow">https://www.pinterest.com/memesisgmailcom/menagerie-memes/</a>
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Mike said: *** Dave H. said: Jason goes pale and hard-shuts-down the computer ... The Jalyica shipping community is huge.&nbsp; It's like the number 3 tag on the HeroFic Archive.&nbsp; You won't be able to outrun them for long. This is why Leo maintains a secret identity.
Bill G. said: Mike said: *** Dave H. said: Jason goes pale and hard-shuts-down the computer ... The Jalyica shipping community is huge.&nbsp; It's like the number 3 tag on the HeroFic Archive.&nbsp; You won't be able to outrun them for long. This is why Leo maintains a secret identity. I imagine it's primarily people who watched the Quill cartoon and just imposed their own ideas on the two (no shipper has ever done that before /s).
I imagine it's primarily people who watched the Quill cartoon and just imposed their own ideas on the two (no shipper has ever done that before /s). On the other hand, I'm sure Leo, as the strong and silent type, would get all sorts of attention. And if they ever learned about his background, then there be both the Bad Boy and Reformed Bad Boy shippers to contend with.
Bill G. said: <a href="https://www.pinterest.com/memesisgmailcom/menagerie-memes/" rel="nofollow">https://www.pinterest.com/memesisgmailcom/menagerie-memes/</a> So I can see the board, but not add to it. I am at&nbsp;<a href="https://www.pinterest.com/3stardave/" rel="nofollow">https://www.pinterest.com/3stardave/</a> ("Dave Hill") if that helps give access.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
*** Dave H. said: So I can see the board, but not add to it. I added you.
Thanks!
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
"Dave has added 45 new pins". That's be ridiculous.
Bill G. said: "Dave has added 45 new pins". That's be ridiculous. Per the first post in the thread: "I just want you to know I just spent an hour generating Jason Quill memes. I cranked out over fifty of them, so they should last in the game plenty long." I actually left some off. :-)
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Gotta give other PCs some meme love too!

Edited 1507304258
Absolutely!

Edited 1507314974
&nbsp; &nbsp;
And, to provide equal time ...
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
++++++1
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Not a ghost girl meme, but a tweet - and this time, an actual real one, from a guy I personally know. <a href="https://twitter.com/Rechanmole/status/916373744045637632" rel="nofollow">https://twitter.com/Rechanmole/status/916373744045637632</a>
Heh. I wouldn't call Ghost Girl "Millennial," though (more Sesquicentennial).
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Maybe she knows a ghost like this. Maybe she acculturates herself. But there it is.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
I feel like the Quill-Chin rivalry was driven mainly by forehead size.

Edited 1507521954
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Also not a meme, but memetic anyway. I was talking about the game with my roommate while I drove her home from work, and the concept of getting Jason out to the bar with a fake ID came up. "Leo, are you sure about this?" "Oh sure, this'll help him take the edge off, forget about Alycia for a bit." "Mr. Quill?" "No, I'm .. Jacob Quail. From Hawaii." The bouncer: ಠ_ಠ.&nbsp; Jason:&nbsp; °Д°.&nbsp; Leo:&nbsp;&nbsp;ರ_ರ "Alright, Jason, listen. You need to take it easy. First, we're gonna order something easy, low alcohol content, and something to eat to wash it down with.... Let me look at the menu here." We look back and Jason is building an Irish Bomb Shot. Jason:&nbsp;╯_╰ Leo:&nbsp;⚆_⚆ Everyone else:&nbsp;(╯°□°)╯ Later, Jason's limp and lifeless body is dumped into Otto, who is told to take him home, obey the speed limit, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES attract police attention, etc. "He's gonna throw up at least once. Otto, I'll take care of the cleaning personally. I'm sorry buddy." Next morning, Jason wakes up...
Amusing, though, fair being fair, Jason grew up around Rusty, whose idea of breakfast was a few ounces of the hair of the dog. He's also been around the world and through enough sleazy bars (pursued by assassins! hiding from automatons! keeping an eye on Byron and Rusty!) that he's not the total naif. On the other hand, some of those very experiences make him probably un likely to indulge, something he's been almost monklike about even living on his own at the family quarters. I can see Jason, once given "permission," overindulging. I'm not at all confidence that it would "take the edge off, forget about Alycia for a bit." Indeed, he'd probably ramble on a lot &nbsp;about Alycia ... As to waking up -- he knows all the hangover cures (cf. Rusty). One further note. On the one hand, the nanobots are self-cleaning, which helps with any vomit.&nbsp;On the other hand, I'm not sure we want a guy who mentally controls (and is over-extended into) a swarm of nanobots becoming intoxicated ...
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
*** Dave H. said: I can see Jason, once given "permission," overindulging. I'm not at all confidence that it would "take the edge off, forget about Alycia for a bit." Indeed, he'd probably ramble on a lot &nbsp;about Alycia ... Yeah, I figured a depth charge was a good (and funny) opener for someone who's had more world experience than the rest. :) The "drunken Jason rants about his problems" scene, though, is where you can mine that comedy gold.
Hell, it hardly takes getting smashed to get Jason to rant about his problems ...
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
*** Dave H. said: Hell, it hardly takes getting smashed to get Jason to rant about his problems ... The difference is: "Yes, Alycia Chin has some kind of grudge against me. We have a complicated history. I only wish I could dissuade her from furthering her father's mad grudge against my family." versus: "Oh god, Alycia... She musht have been adopted, have you sheen her father?... But she's so shmart, I don't know... why are you trying to murder me? But you liked the cupcakes.." "Uh, Jason..." "You ate cupcakes with a smile on your face... We could have had cupcakes! There'sh a great bakery at the little village that'sh a mile from the entrance to Agartha... it's in Llanfair.. it's in Llan... it'sh Welsh. Oh god the crumpets there! Alycia! She had this little mole, right on her--" "Jason!"
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Meanwhile there's a bar fight which his nanobots are dutifully protecting him from even noticing, which means he's shirtless.
((Laughing. So. Hard.)) "Have you ever huddled for warmth with your arch-nemesis in an inflatable dinghy in the dark on an underground river in the Antarctic? No, no, of course not. Nobody has. That's a dumb question, Leo. Skip that." ... "Sha la la la la la, my oh my, Looks like the Quill's too shy Ain't gonna kiss the girl, Sha la la la la la,&nbsp;ain't that sad, It's such a shame, too bad, I'm gonna miss the girl ..." ... "... so the cave wall suddenly explodes, and I'm hoping it's Dad or Rusty or Amir or Colonel Wittingherm -- Wittgenheim -- the Brit colonel who inserted us, but it's Doctor goddamned Achilles freaking Chin, and I'm realizing I'm just in my boxers and Alycia's in her underwear because the lava level was climbing higher and higher and it's like a hundred and twenty degrees, and he's giving me the stink eye and I realize I'm dead and Alycia's shouting something and Chin is shouting something and it's all in Chinese and I've been blowing off my Chinese lessons and I'm trying to shout that nothing happened and I think I actually shouted something about umbrellas, and then the other cave wall explodes and Dad and Rusty and Amir are all there, and everyone's shouting and there are laser beams, and the next thing I know ..." ... "... everyone wears jeans, y'know? Everyone I know wears jeans. Rusty wears jeans. Dad wears jeans. Rusty's ex, Jasper, wears jeans. Green jeans, but they're still jeans. I wear jeans. Hell, even Alycia wears jeans. Or cargo pants. Everyone wears jeans or cargo pants. Barbara says I should wear Dockers or Slates. But you know what, Leo. I like &nbsp;jeans. Or cargo pants. They're comfortable. And the carbo pants -- cargo pants have pockets, which is important when you're collecting rocks to pour into a big machine to make it explode, you know? Three times I had to do it. Alycia has nice cargo pants. So many pockets ..." ...&nbsp; "How do you solve a problem like Alycia? How do you catch your own arch-nemesis? How do you find a word that means Alycia? A polymath! A villain! A ... cute-something-something! Mad scientist!" ...&nbsp; "... so then I hear this laughter down the tunnel, and it's her, you know? Alycia? And it's not like happy, pleasant, la-la-la little girl laughter, and she's only like ten or eleven at this point, right? And me, too. I think that's how old she was. I always sort of assumed -- anyway, so there's this laughter, but it's this wild, crazy, bwah-ha-ha laughter, right? And this is going on, and on, and each time is different, like she's trying different fiendish laughs, and there are pauses in-between, so then I'm like, ha, I'll show her, and I do this crazy laughter on my end of the tunnel. And then this laser beam ..." ... "Bourbon. Or gin. Depended on where we were. Sometimes vodka. Or rum. Actually, I don't know that he had a preference. Sometimes he'd give me a sip, then Dad would get all pissed off at him." ... "I can never remember what color her eyes are. I mean, half the time it's dark, or smoky, or full of explosions, or lightning bolts, or laser beams. Green? Or maybe purple. Something ... exotic. You know. Gemstones. So hard, sometimes. I mean, like they could cut right through you. Scary. Scaaaaaaaary." ...&nbsp; "Wait, what's the difference between bourbon and whiskey and scotch? I mean, it all tastes like burning, right? I never got that. I like this thing, with the -- pineapple juice? That's pineapple, right? Or mango? So many tropical fruits, and the monkeys are always stealing them from you and then chittering like assholes. And the little umbrellas? I always loved those things. I used to collect them, I had, like, this collection of little umbrellas from the different virgin drinks they'd buy us. Dad usually had drinks with umbrellas, too, and I'd take his umbrellas, too." ...&nbsp; "Green. Definitely green. Is that unusual?" ... "You know, a woman who knows how to shoot a laser beam, or electrovolteration zappy thing sort of thing, or a rocket-purple ... rocket-propelled grenade ... that's really scary. I mean, even when she's not shooting them at you, you know? But it's kind of -- well, it's kind of sexy, too, you know? Like that old gal in the Aliens &nbsp;movie? The one in Defenders ? "Stay away from her, bitch!" I just wish she ... wouldn't ... would ... you know ...? She's just so angry, angry angry angry. Too angry. You know, I get angry, too. But never as angry as she is. Stupid angry. Maybe she needs to find a girlfriend to take her out for a drink or two, too, too. Like me. A friend to have a drink. Do you think she'd like umbrellas? Alycia, not her girlfriend. God, you don't think she's a lesbian, do you? I mean, that's cool, whatever, but, God, that would be so embarrassing." ... "Or purple. Definitely green or purple. I think. What were we talking about?"
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Btw, in researching the&nbsp; Breathing post and running across this one, I find I've become more and more fond of the Drunken Jason bits, even if it's just the weird comedic episode of the series / Assistant Editors Month material. Canonical in a way that can be referenced or included in the season retrospective, but not in a way that people want to treat completely truthfully, and that some of the writers/creators really hated but the fans all loved. The "Trouble with Tribbles" episode.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
So a couple of games from now, we're doing the time travel episode where we sneak past a drunk Jason Quill at the bar, getting involved in a fight he doesn't even realize he's at the center of. "Is this canonical?" "Shut up, Haz-Matt, stay on mission."
^+1
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
That moment when you spot 15 roll20 notifications in your spam folder and realize you've been MISSING BRILLIANT IDEAS.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
I can't find another appropriate thread, except maybe General Inspiration, and didn't want to spin up a whole new one just for this brief noodling. So: A few of my posts have touched on this idea of a shared secret language. In Pneuma vs. Hecate, we hear that Pneuma and Numina had a conversation full of meaning because they could both use words and phrases that had deep connotations for both of them. We then see Tempest and Hecate interacting non-verbally a couple of times, just emoting silently at each other, with the same sort of basis. If someone on this team came to another one in distress and said "hey do you want some chips", we might start inferring that they really meant "hey do you need some emotional support", without the embarrassment of two proud kids having to actually admit to each other that that's what they need. It's basically memes for a very small audience.

Edited 1517007513
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
This is the perfect thread for this, since the Not Now Jason meme is like that for out game group. (Except my wife says it to me now, but WHATEVER I'm not Be Ridiculous - she's be ridiculous.)
This is closely related to The Reason Why People Don't Let Margie and Me Team Up on Games Like Pictionary of Charades or Password or Taboo or Other Ones Where Private Internal References Allow Ridonculously Quick Answers. "Donkey." "Green!" (bing bing bing!)
Which in turn reminds me of:&nbsp;<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz-BGbv9fhU" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz-BGbv9fhU</a>