Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

LFG Anyone run FASA (pre-Catalyst) Shadowrun anymore? US Central Time, flexible schedule.

Are there any GM's here that run Shadowrun 3rd edition (or 2nd, or 1st) games? I loved Shadowlands, Captain Chaos, and a hardwired Matrix being more secure than broadcasting wireless signals to all and sundry (hardwired off the Matrix, even more secure. Hello combat decker!). Deckers and otaku, not Technomancers. Trustworthy cyberware that can't be remotely hacked into. No RFID pollution all over, on everything. Magic is rising, with new (if you aren't familiiar with Earthdawn) creatures, traditions, racial variants, etc. popping up with each new mana spike. Awful creatures from the metaplanes working with mages in Aztlan to build a bridge to Earth early. Immortal elves, dragons, Atlantean Foundation, Dunkelzahn's will, etc., intrigues since the ancient past. The Laughing Man. I loved FASA's original Shadowrun, before the Matrix crash was invented, before wireless-everything, back when magic was ever-growing, but fit a pattern, a cycle of magic. I tried very hard to get into Shadowrun 4E, but what I loved about Shadowrun was gone. I'm debating tossing out all my Shadowrun 3E and 2E books - before I do, are there any GM's out there who still run the pre-Catalyst, pre-wireless, FASA Shadowrun?
The problem with Shadowrun is that it's a hot topic here, you'll be hard pressed to find a new game but you can still check around. In addition kudos for running a decker in 3E, those rules were horrible granted I ran a decker once ....and only once. Here's hoping you find a game, course if you do consider getting rid of your books I'd be interested in a couple.
Actually, I never ran a decker, but often played with one in the party - they're indispensable. And my characters did use the Matrix, anyway, as passengers or in slug-mode. I tended to play agile street sams or magic types (physical adept, mystic adept, sorceror, full mage/shaman).
I actually only have played one street samurai, I mean a legitimate street samurai, I usually ran gangers that were a little bit more socially "acceptable"
Jon F. said: I'm debating tossing out all my Shadowrun 3E and 2E books - before I do, are there any GM's out there who still run the pre-Catalyst, pre-wireless, FASA Shadowrun? NOOOOOOOOOOO! Keep 'em. Second edition was the best edition*. I ran a Savage Worlds Shadowrun game via Roll20 and drew on the old books as resources and style guidance. In the event I wanted to run a Shadowrun game, it'd be "classic" Shadowrun. I can't imagine I'm the only one who feels that way and the first edition pdf is available on RPGNow for eight bucks. *Second edition was the best edition only because it's what we played back in the day. No disrespect to others' opinions.

Edited 1389129955
Dave D. said: Jon F. said: I'm debating tossing out all my Shadowrun 3E and 2E books - before I do, are there any GM's out there who still run the pre-Catalyst, pre-wireless, FASA Shadowrun? NOOOOOOOOOOO! Keep 'em. Second edition was the best edition*. I ran a Savage Worlds Shadowrun game via Roll20 and drew on the old books as resources and style guidance. In the event I wanted to run a Shadowrun game, it'd be "classic" Shadowrun. I can't imagine I'm the only one who feels that way and the first edition pdf is available on RPGNow for eight bucks. *Second edition was the best edition only because it's what we played back in the day. No disrespect to others' opinions. I don't know, if he sold them here, he might find a profit in that....oh my gosh, I'll be right back! Edit: Okay back, as I was saying I'd love run a 3E one shot, but school starts next week so I'm swamped getting ready..and my schedule is limited to the weekends.
The Question said: I don't know, if he sold them here, he might find a profit in that....oh my gosh, I'll be right back! I've kicked myself for selling RPG books in the past, I'd hate for anyone else to make that mistake. It stinks re-buying things you once had, especially if you're paying "collectors prices."
I try not to hang onto too many RPGs I'll never get to play again - got rid of all my 3.5 and other d20 stuff other than Pathfinder last summer, working on cutting down further, so there's less to move next time (I don't think I'll ever get rid of my full set of Earthdawn 1st ed tho - too good reading!)
Well as I said I'd love to help, but all I'm running is one shots, and at the moment nothing since school starts in a week.