Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[5e OGL] Referencing a repeating row throughout a macro

As I understand it, it is possible to reference attributes and abilities within a repeating row without the repeating_<type>_<rowid> at the start. For instance if I put @{atkname} in the description of an attack it will pull the name of the attack from the row it is on without needing a row ID. Is there any way to get this same effect without being in the row by referencing the correct row at the start of the macro in some way?  I'm trying to attach a spellcard ability roll button to the descriptions of my spell attacks that references a generic all-purpose ability macro with the spellcard roll template. So having this ability will save me a lot of time and energy of having to make a different macro for every spell attack. Hopefully I made what I'm asking for clear enough, thanks to anyone who can help.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Kyle said: if I put @{atkname} in the description of an attack it will pull the name of the attack from the row it is on without needing a row ID. Is there any way to get this same effect without being in the row by referencing the correct row at the start of the macro in some way? No, it's not possible. However, referencing repeating Attributes by RowIndex can be much easier than referencing them by RowID.
Thanks for clarifying and I tend to move my attacks about so I find Row Indices is less useful personally. For anyone wondering if this is possible, I managed to force a work around using ChatSetAttr so when rolling a spell attack it sets an arbitrary attribute to "@{Name|repeating_spell-<spelllevel>_<rowid>_" which I put in front of each attribute in the general spellcard macro. This means after rolling an attack rolling the spellcard will give the spellcard for that attack.