Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

How to find Character ID

I'm setting up a whisper macro where I'd like a drop down of the available characters, and I'd prefer to have it whisper to character ID rather than name in case Umgol the Meek changes to Umgol the Powerful during play. I can't find where to extract the character ID however. Anyone know? We don't have tokens up all the time so I'm looking for the ID of the character.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If you select a token that represents that character you could use this chat command: @{selected|character_id}
If only the latter part of the name changes (the Meek to the Powerful) but the beginning stays the same (always Umgol), you should be able to use /w Umgol Message to send the message without problems. Or at least so long as there are no other characters whose names start with Umgol.
Thanks a bunch, both answers worked like a charm! However, implementing the ID wasn't as easy as I thought. How do I actually call on the ID? The system treats it like a written name like the rest: /w ?{Whisper Target:|Sir Randall,"Sir Randall of Marn"|Knudin,-KuKXZJNCjmIuKPSy86A|Calladius,"Calladius Perdax"|Raya,"Raya Stone"|Tacesi,"Tacesi Kova"}  ?{Message to Whisper:|}
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Unfortunately, you cannot  whisper to a player ID, only to names. It's quite unfortunate.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The way I've done this in the past is using: /w "@{target|token_name}" ?{What to say} It assumes that all characters have tokens that are tied to their character and that they are available to 'target'...
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ziechael said: The way I've done this in the past is using: /w "@{target|token_name}" ?{What to say} It assumes that all characters have tokens that are tied to their character and that they are available to 'target'... And that the token names do not contain double quotes...
Ahh, that was unfortunate. We don't have tokens in non-combat situations so that is not an option. Kyle's tip makes using first name a viable option so I'll just go for that. Thanks for the help!