Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Is there a way to output chat text to a field?

keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Specifically, I'd like to do this: I'd like to be able to peruse character sheets from the external viewer (i.e. read them while not in the game.) Currently, this is limited to whatever is put into the Bio field and the GM notes field for the character, along with the avatar. My Chromebook often crashes or runs out of memory when in the VTT, but I write games outside of the Roll20 environment. Having those notes available for reference without the VTT overhead would be very useful. The Shaped Sheet has great built in macros to send a highly condensed character sheet to the chat window. I'd like to put that info into the GM notes field, preferably in some automated fashion. I just want the plain text; I don't need any of the automation (clickable spells, saving throws, etc.) Is there some API script or combination thereof that would allow me to do this? Barring that, can the field even be written to? Perhaps with ChatSetAttr? I could do it with an ordinary Macro (and a ton of setup work with Attribute Calls) in that case.
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It can be done via API, but ChatSetAttr cannot do it, since bio & info does not correspond to an attribute.