Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Easier way to switch between drag & select

Edited 1508855189
Howdy from Texas.  I've been playing Curse of Strahd for several months now and I've been experiencing something a little annoying with the Roll20 interface. I thought I'd share to see if I'm alone.  The maps in CoS often include multiple floors/levels of the same building which are usually split using dynamic lighting.  The issue I have starts when the party splits.  "I scale the wall and sneak upstairs."  "I go through the front door."  I am forced to constantly switch between the drag feature (the hand icon) to move the map around and the selector feature (the pointer icon).  This back and forth dramatically slows down the game.  Normally, I use my Mac's touchpad to drag around the map but it will stop working in Roll20 at some point during the evening forcing me to rely on the drag feature. One idea might be that you can use the selector and hold Shift to move the map.  Thoughts? One more thing.. I experience something whenever I switch between layers.. Some examples: Dynamic lighting example:  "I open the door"  Behind the scenes I must switch to dynamic lighting, slide the door open, then switch back to the token layer GM layer example:  At the start of a battle, I find myself having to switch back and forth between the GM layer and token layer in order to move all of the previously invisible tokens to the token layer. The interface could use some streamlining in this area. I'm using Mac OSX (current version) and Chrome.
You can use right-click to drag the VTT without having to select the drag tool. You can also use keyboard shortcuts (they must be enabled in the in-game settings) to quickly change layers (and to move things from one layer to another). See  here  for more information.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .