Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Swap Visible Areas Using Select Dropdown?

Axel
Pro
Sheet Author
Hello all CSS wizards! I would like to swap three different visible areas using a select element. <select class="sheet-block-switch" name="attr_drowpdown_option"> <option value="1" selected="selected">Option A</option> <option value="2">Option B</option> <option value="3">Option C</option> </select> <div class="sheet-block-a">A</div> <div class="sheet-block-b">B</div> <div class="sheet-block-c">C</div> The wiki has the CSS spelled out plainly for using a checkbox, as shown below, but does something similar work for a select element? .sheet-block-a, .sheet-block-switch:checked ~ .sheet-block-b { display: block; } .sheet-block-b, .sheet-block-switch:checked ~ .sheet-block-a { display: none; } Any guidance would be appreciated. Is a script needed here?
You could use sheet workers to take the value of the dropdown menu, and make the radio buttons match it.  And with the radio buttons hidden, the drop down should work. Should.

Edited 1509022915
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
There's no need for sheet workers. Use the following; you still need the select somewhere  to make the actual switch, of course. <input type="checkbox" name="attr_dropdown_option" value="1" class="sheet-hidden sheet-hider" checked> <div class="sheet-block-a">A</div> <input type="checkbox" name="attr_dropdown_option" value="2" class="sheet-hidden sheet-hider"> <div class="sheet-block-b">B</div> <input type="checkbox" name="attr_dropdown_option" value="3" class="sheet-hidden sheet-hider"> <div class="sheet-block-c">C</div> CSS .sheet-hidden { display: none; } .sheet-hider:not(:checked) + div { display: none; }
Axel
Pro
Sheet Author
This worked perfectly! Thanks Jakob! It's such an easy thing hiding the checkboxes and having the select elsewhere, but I probably wouldn't have come up with it myself, because I felt stuck and I only found script/jQuery solutions through google.
Axel
Pro
Sheet Author
A followup question: Would it be possible to have two different selections show the same div? How would I accomplish that without having two divs with the same content in my code? I can't do that if the div contains radio buttons, because that messes them up.
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Yes, either by using sheet workers to set the actual attribute that controls the checkbox as a result of changing the select attribute or by using more complicated CSS to precisely controlled which checkbox's checked state controls which div's display.
Axel
Pro
Sheet Author
I've only just started learning how to use sheet workers, so as an exercise, I'll look into using that to set the attributes of the checkbox. Cheers.