Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Pathfinder Character Sheet - Custom Ability Token Bar

Is there a way to link the current/max uses of a custom ability (like a class feature) to the token? I've experimented around a little, but unfortunately the tooltip seems a little broken, as it only states '@{repeating_ability_$X_used|max}' for all abilities, so it's kinda impossible to find out, what X should actually stand for. Anyone has some tips on how to link the ability and the bar? One way would be good enough, both way would be non-plus-ultra. Thanks in advance!

Edited 1509491344
Dash
Plus
The third tab of a character handout "Attributes and Abilities" can be used for this. The left hand column "Attributes", click the "Add" button. Enter a name and it should then show up in the list with current/max fields. The name of this attribute should be available in the drop down box for the ability bars. 
Thanks for the quick reply. I've actually already created an entry there, but that's not quite what I want. While the information is at least stored in the character bow that way, it isn't really in-sync with the character sheet. Although I can enter variables there, they are overridden the moment I actually select the value at the token and aren't synced back. This is where the information comes from: The tooltip states the name of the variable as follows: As mentioned in the first post, the counter appears to be broken, but I've experiemted around and counted the abilities with the help of the chrome inspector, then changed it to @{repeating_ability_$18_used} and @{repeating_ability_$18_used|max}, which gave me the correct value at the token bar: However, if I change the value at the token now, it's not written back to the fields above in the character sheet. Similarly, if I change the source to have 3 instead of two maximum uses, this information is also not transported back to the token bar.

Edited 1509544161
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
The 'X' portion of the tooltip for '@{repeating_ability_$X_used|max}' stands for the row number.  Rows start at 0.  We've also included a row number on each repeating item to help.  You can also substitute the rowid for '$X' which is a better and more dependable method since you may want to rearrange your repeating entries.  RowId never changes. We have also included the rowID for each repeating entry (it's a subsection of the repeating entry).  As for the linking max to token, I believe there may be an issue since the sheet auto-calcs(read-only) the max value attribute. EDIT: KitKat pointed out that the row numbers on the sheet only correspond to the "actual" row number when using the "All" sub-tab of a repeating section.
Vince said: The 'X' portion of the tooltip for '@{repeating_ability_$X_used|max}' stands for the row number. I assume this goes for the 'All'-tab? Because row numbers aren't consistent throughout the tabs. 18 seemed to be correct in my case however then. Anyways, I've replaced the $X with the row id as you suggested, but unfortunately this didn't yield any functional change. I've created a new field in the Attributes & Abilities section, for current I entered @{repeating_ability_-kq-2slkoqu5ihjxm8zj_used} and for max I entered @{repeating_ability_-kq-2slkoqu5ihjxm8zj_used|max}. As before, it would sync it correctly to 2 and 2, but changes in either place are not synced between character sheet and token. Vince said: As for the linking max to token, I believe there may be an issue since the sheet auto-calcs(read-only) the max value attribute. I wouldn't mind if the max value wouldn't sync, as it is mostly the current value, that I want to preserve between battle maps.

Edited 1509544170
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
KitCat said: Vince said: The 'X' portion of the tooltip for '@{repeating_ability_$X_used|max}' stands for the row number. I assume this goes for the 'All'-tab? Because row numbers aren't consistent throughout the tabs. 18 seemed to be correct in my case however then. This is consistent for each repeating section(fieldset) on the sheet. Each repeating section has a unique name.  ie 'repeating_ ability ...', 'repeating_ attacks ...', 'repeating_ spells ...', etc.  so each has it's own row numbers. Someone may need to verify, but I think there is an issue with linking repeating attributes and tokens (as in you can't.)  ;-(  When trying to link a token bar to an attribute, you'll notice that none of the repeating attributes or hidden sheet attributes are included on the list. EDIT: KitKat pointed out that the row numbers on the sheet only correspond to the "actual" row number when using the "All" sub-tab of a repeating section.
Vince said: This is consistent for each repeating section(fieldset) on the sheet. Each repeating section has a unique name.  ie 'repeating_ ability ...', 'repeating_ attacks ...', 'repeating_ spells ...', etc.  so each has it's own row numbers. I think we're talking cross purpose here. The tabs I was referring to are the ones that split up the abilities into different categories like feats, traits, etc. Each of this tabs has his own numbering (as seen in the picture above, "Mutpunkte" goes with the number 0, but in the "All" tab it goes with number 18, which is the actual number that is needed. Anyway, that's just details, I've decided to go with the more general idea thanks to your point on the fact, that this prevents breaking things when my players reorder their abilities (and assuming the sync will be working one day). Vince said: Someone may need to verify, but I think there is an issue with linking repeating attributes and tokens (as in you can't.)  ;-(  When trying to link a token bar to an attribute, you'll notice that none of the repeating attributes or hidden sheet attributes are included on the list. Indeed I can confirm that. The fact that they were unfortunately missing was the reason I wanted to create my own entry in the first place, hoping the character sheet would be able to process the sync through it. It would be lovely if the automatic creation of these fields could be included into the character sheet.

Edited 1509544517
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
You're correct KitKat.  The row numbers only correspond correctly for repeating sections that include sub-tabs by using the "All" sub-tab.  Good point.  RowID is the best way to pull repeating attribute values in macros. BTW: If you ever decide to go "Pro", the  Pathfinder Companion Script (PFC) can track any resource on the sheet, as well as a tone of other useful features... ie Abilities, Spells, Ammo, etc.  Instead of an adjusting resources using a token bar, the PFC script will send a whispered chat message handling the calculations automatically, shows the current usage and allows for you to reset and or override resources as well.  Very handy.