Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Token Facing. How do I do this?? Is it a macro. I looked and could NOT find anything.

Edited 1510692872
Token Facing. How do I do this?? Is it a macro? I looked and could NOT find anything. I apologize in advance if the solution is easy.   I want to use Roll20 for GURPS and map movement uses facing.  Thanx
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
You can manually rotate tokens to face whatever direction you like using the rotation handle. With the API (Pro Subscriber Perk) there are some scripts what will automate having a rotation indicator.  
You can also rotate tokens by holding E and scrolling. This will rotate the token in 45 degree increments. If you also hold alt you will rotate the token in 1 degree increments.
I play GURPS and an INDICATOR for facing is needed. I can make tokens with a graphic mark to indicate facing but I figured that Roll20 had a method. I guess not. 
I haven't played GURPS so no idea if this will be helpful for what you want. Having tokens with a forward marker probably isn't a bad idea but if the toke is selected you can use the little square that allows you to rotate it. I only see it from the player and only control my icon so this could be completely useless for you but here it is: When you select a token a small square appears at the "top" of the token: If you click and drag that square it will rotate the token: As near as I can tell the position of that square is persistent to the "top" of the token - in other words it will stay in that position until you rotate the token again. Unfortunately I am not aware of a way to make that visible to everyone, just the person controlling the token and only when the token is selected. I am fairly new to Roll20 so it is possible I am merely ignorant.  Again, not sure how useful it is but I figured there was a remote chance it might be helpful ;)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If you design your tokens with an obvious front, a pointer, perhaps, then facing becomes apparent. Of course, this  limits your selection of tokens if you are not graphically inclined, or don't want to take the effort of modifying a ton of tokens.
there are two schools of thought in my case. Players have a choice either a token stamp which produces a token such as above or a more generic isometric style token most when with a stamp. in this case the facing is more narrative if the player does not state what there facing it is assumed when another token comes to theirs (N is front S is rear.)  E and West Are left and right side. in combat monsters have mostly a face to them ie i can change there direction and have it face a token. so then that monsters back side is visual to the token from atop down perspective. other wise i use the same narrative rules as above. North is always the top of the monitor
keithcurtis said: If you design your tokens with an obvious front, a pointer, perhaps, then facing becomes apparent. Of course, this  limits your selection of tokens if you are not graphically inclined, or don't want to take the effort of modifying a ton of tokens. Hi Keith, That what I did at first. But most tokens have a facing more or less. And I don't like having to modify tokens with a facing mark either.
Jessica B. said: I haven't played GURPS so no idea if this will be helpful for what you want. Having tokens with a forward marker probably isn't a bad idea but if the toke is selected you can use the little square that allows you to rotate it. I only see it from the player and only control my icon so this could be completely useless for you but here it is: When you select a token a small square appears at the "top" of the token: If you click and drag that square it will rotate the token: As near as I can tell the position of that square is persistent to the "top" of the token - in other words it will stay in that position until you rotate the token again. Unfortunately I am not aware of a way to make that visible to everyone, just the person controlling the token and only when the token is selected. I am fairly new to Roll20 so it is possible I am merely ignorant.  Again, not sure how useful it is but I figured there was a remote chance it might be helpful ;) Thanks Jessica for your generous and instructive reply. Very kind. I am aware of how to rotate the tokens. I was just hoping I could flick a switch and there would be a tick on the token representing facing. I am going to use the tokens at they are as most tokens emulate facing.  Thanks so much again for your in depth reply.  Happy gaming.
lordmage said: there are two schools of thought in my case. Players have a choice either a token stamp which produces a token such as above or a more generic isometric style token most when with a stamp. in this case the facing is more narrative if the player does not state what there facing it is assumed when another token comes to theirs (N is front S is rear.)  E and West Are left and right side. in combat monsters have mostly a face to them ie i can change there direction and have it face a token. so then that monsters back side is visual to the token from atop down perspective. other wise i use the same narrative rules as above. North is always the top of the monitor I have decided to use the implied facing of most tokens. If there is any uncertainty, I will instruct the player as to where the FACE is. I am surprised there is no provision for this here at Roll20. There are so many great programmers that play here. Perhaps someone will make this. HINT...!
The Aaron said: You can manually rotate tokens to face whatever direction you like using the rotation handle. With the API (Pro Subscriber Perk) there are some scripts what will automate having a rotation indicator.   I do know how to rotate but I was NOT aware of a script. THNX!
Kyle G. said: You can also rotate tokens by holding E and scrolling. This will rotate the token in 45 degree increments. If you also hold alt you will rotate the token in 1 degree increments. I did NOT know that. Excellent. Much easier. Thx!