Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Light setup epiphany

So something unusual occurred today.  I had a great idea!  It occurred while manually setting up some Dynamic Light walls.  Maybe it's already been discussed before, but I don't remember seeing it. Once you have your map lined up to the grid, temporarily change the Grid Size to 0.1 units.  That way you can easily keep straight lines by using shift-click to attach to a nearby grid vertex.  But it also grants a good amount of granularity where the lines are.  Plus it makes working with curved and irregular walls easier, imo. If you're a Pro member, you can also use Aaron's amazing Walls script.  But sometimes a map doesn't work well with that and it's easier to set up the walls manually.  In that case, using the technique above might help. PS  It's pretty important to have the map lined up to the grid at normal size first.  Otherwise when you go back to normal size, your map and dynamic light lines can be offset from the grid.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I've done this for a while but it can never be mentioned enough, its that useful a tip! In addition to irregular maps I find it great for having maps that are perfectly aligned but you want to set your DL back a bit to show off the artwork of the wall texture, that 7 pixels makes everything so much prettier and easy to manage :)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Great tip! Thanks!