Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Frequent WebGL crashes with Dynamic Lighting

Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ever since the Advanced Fog of War rolled out, I've been having issues with WebGL crashing in my games, specifically on maps using a lot of dynamic lighting. I'm not using the Advanced Fog of War at all, but I've been having issues where sometimes the DL shadows take a long time to load when I pan/zoom the screen, and sometimes it just completely crashes. When it crashes, the VTT window becomes completely unresponsive, and I can't access the developer console to see what's wrong. All I get from Chrome is a message along the lines of "Rats! WebGL hit a snag."  This issue has only been coming up for games when I'm GMing. As a player, I have not come across this issue. Specs: *Chrome 54.0.2840.87 (64 bit) *Windows 7
Hi Stephen, Sorry about the delayed response on this thread! Are you still running into this issue? If so, do you have some screenshots of what the Dynamic Lighting looks like? Does this same thing happen on other computers/devices or other players?
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Haven't had a chance to retest it yet, but I'll let you know if it's still a problem next time I run my game.

Edited 1512336594
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ok, I had a chance to play around with things some more. The problem is still recurring. Below is a screenshot of the VTT when the issue causes WebGL to crash: As can be seen from the Chrome developer console, there isn't really anything in the logs that helps to identify the problem. Just the whole VTT goes black (and sometimes some of my other Chrome tabs also go black when this happens). Here is a screenshot of the DL having issues just before crashing while panning/zooming the VTT. The anomalous areas are circled in red. My players don't seem to be having any issues with it. As a player in another friend's game I haven't had issues with it either. As a GM though, the issue has been very persistent for me. Playing around with it on other devices hasn't been a problem either. I've tried it on a Macbook computer and it works fine there. I've also tried it on my Android tablet and it works fine there. The problem been isolated to just my Windows 7 computer. Things do seem to be more stable if I run the VTT in a lower-resolution window. Until recently I've been able to run it at full resolution just fine though.
Have you tried toggling Hardware Acceleration on the system? (If on, turn off, vice versa) Occasionally this can solve issues such as this. Additionally, could you copy-paste the console log for when this happens so we can get a more detailed look? Thank you!
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I tried things out again this morning. To my surprise though, it wasn't crashing at all this time. I'm no longer seeing any of those DL graphical artifacts mentioned above either. So I guess this has been fixed recently? I'll update this thread if I encounter those issues again though.