Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

My 2 active campaigns are having multiple issues with lag, character token actions, and map use (May all be related).

Edited 1512948702
Detailed Description of the Problem and  Steps to Reproduce/Fix the Problem My two active campaigns (KNORDIA and KNORDIA II) are having multiple issues: 1. Random Issues with Lag (10-20 sec of no response to key presses or mouse clicks) in both campaigns. It happens about 10 to 20 times per hour.  I've done multiple stress PINGs (1000 byte Ping size) to both roll20.net and app.roll20.net and have no packet loss, average delay of 12 ms / max delay of 20 ms.  I haven't been able to detect an internet delay since yesterday, although it's possible I'm missing it.  My internet router stats show no interruptions to my internet service in the past 4 days (i.e. no signal loss, very few packet losses).  I use both Fire Fox (primary browser) and Chrome (Backup) and both seem to have the same random lag, although Chrome seems to have more of the issue.  I've tried disabling all browser extensions and get the same results and have even disabled my Anti Virus/Firewall (McAfee) and no real change. This started happening in the last few days. I'm not sure if anything changed since then but I have donged on my PC since then but I have done a Malware check and a fresh Virus Scan (had some minor Malware but corrected it and still had the same issue (maybe a little less though).  It's possible that this could be something with my Laptop and I'm currently going through my Device List in control panel and checking that each driver is up-to-date.  This happens to me (the GM) and my players (although the players report it much less then I do).  I just figured I'd check if others are having the same issue. 2.  Character Token Actions seem to be having issues.   I was using a manual copy of and earlier version of both the 5e Shaped Character Sheet and the 5e Shaped Companion API (Doing a RAW copy from the author's script page) and this was working fine until a few days ago.  The many of my custom Token Actions started getting errors that indicated that the characters were not being selected so the actions failed even though we checked to make sure the character's were selected.  I'm now using the latest D&D 5e Shaped Companion Script Version: 11.3.2 and the associated latest 5e Shaped Character Sheet version 15.5.9 (loaded today to see if it corrects the issue).  So far I still have the issue although I need to review the character sheet changes to see if I need to update my scripts.   The might just be a character sheet issue the only reason I mention it is it seems like the game doesn't recognize when a player character token is selected or not which could be a roll20 engine issue.  [Amended] 3.  Maps not loading properly.  It seems like many of my more complex maps (maps with more objects on them, Larger Maps) are no longer loading as well as thy use to.  Meaning that the seem to take much longer then normal to load Before they took no more then 10-15 seconds and now then seem to take more then 1-2 mins to load.  This seemed to start happening a few days ago.  Again this might be a resource issue on my Laptop so I'm checking if I have any memory hugs on my device running.  I use Razor Core in Boost mode to release laptop resources prior to running a game and that doesn't seen to help.  This happens in both the Firefox and Chrome browsers.  Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I had to cancel my Sunday game because of these errors making it very difficult for my to do my prep work properly (actually I'm just getting aggravated).   Description of Your Setup (Browser + Version, Operating System, etc.) Laptop - Asus (Core I7-3610QM CPU 2.30GH - 8 GB RAM) Video Gforce GTX 660M (2 GB RAM). OS - Windows Home Premium 64 Bit (Service Pack 1) Browser - Fire Fox (version 57) - Primary Browser / Google Chrome (version Version 63.0.3239.84 Official Build 64-bit) Java Script is enabled in both browsers. [Amended] Browser Add-ons and Extensions (Firefox) -  ADB Helper, ADBlock Plus, McAfee Web Advisor,  Nimbus Screen Capture, Stylish, Valence, OpenH264 Video Codec by Cisco, Widevine Content Decryption. S YesScript (Legacy Extension). [Amended] Browser Add-ons and Extensions (Chrome) - Ace Script, McAfee Web Advisor, Nimbus Screen Capture, Remove Google Redirect. [Amended] Browser Hardware Acceleration  (Firefox) - On when available / Process limit = 4 (Default) [Amended] Browser Hardware Acceleration (Chrome) - On [Amended]
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
As it seems you have worked through our triage checklist , go ahead and get us some console logs (details here if you need them), while you wait for a Dev to come poke at this.

Edited 1512934172
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Something else you could try would be toggling your browser's hardware acceleration on or off.
GenKitty - Thanks I'll do a run through in both Knordia  and Knordia II campaigns on both my Fire Fox and Chrome browsers and get the console logs. Thanks for the reply. Silvyre - I'll also try the hardware acceleration toggle as well.  Thanks for the advice. BTW - I forgot to mention in my initial bug report.  Java scripting is enabled in both browsers and I do have some add-ons and extensions that I normally have enabled.  I'll amend my original post to reflect the information. Thanks again for the help. DM John B.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
If you haven't already tried turning off all your addons/extensions/viriiscanners/whathaveyou please try that to see if it is an addon or similar behaving poorly :)

Edited 1512949262
GenKitty - I tried that with my Extensions already and got some improvement (Maps loaded faster) but not very much, and honestly I rely on those extensions a lot.  Maybe one of them was recently updated or I may be able to find a better running replacement extension to use instead.  I'll look into it.  Thanks for the suggestion. BTW - I amended the OP with the additional information for triage. DM John B.
I think I found the issues.  I upped the browser hardware acceleration process limit from 4 to 7 processes in Firefox, and my 5E Shaped Companion Script seems to be having a conflict or error either within the script or one of the other API scripts I'm running.  I down graded it from 11.3.2 to 11.3.1 and the lag issues and map load times seem to be much better.  The character token actions are still broken but that may be because the script has changed enough from my original 5e Companion Script I used before, so I'll look into that and let you know ASAP. John B.