Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

A question about magic

Hey r20, I'm helping a friend build a character for a campaign. She is making a Lvl 3 DnD 3.5 Half-Elf Cleric, and was wondering about certain meta-magic feats. We were looking at Empower Spell and Maximize Spell, and others. But with Empower Spell it was "An empowered spell uses up a spell slot two levels higher than the spell’s actual level" What does the mean exactly. She is new to RPG's and I've only been playing the last year or so with not much to do with magic. If you could clear this up for me that would be great.
If you empower a 1st level spell, it takes up a 3rd level spell slot instead of a 1st level spell slot.
In 3.5, each character has a certain number of spell slots for each spell level (1 through 9). Different spells require a minimum number spell slot based on how powerful that spell is. For example, a wizard that wants to cast fireball has to prepare it at the beginning of the day using a level 3 spell slot, which you usually won't get until class lvl 5. If that wizard wanted to prepare Empowered Fireball, he/she would have to use a level 5 spell slot, which wouldn't be available for a few more class levels. The spell list in your player's guide should give you the spell levels for each spell, and there should be a chart explaining how many spell slots you get at each level under the Cleric section. I hope that clears things up.
Yes scott that does, wow that makes them not really worth it.
Gauss
Forum Champion
Casey: It is one of the reasons that in 3.5 (or Pathfinder) metamagic reductions are sought after. If you can get a metamagic boost without paying for part or all of the level difference it can really boost things.  Another note about metamagic feats, they do not change the save DC of the spell even though it requires a higher level spell slot. Example: An Empowered Fireball has a save DC of a 3rd level spell, not a 5th level spell even though it requires a 5th level slot. Still, with all that said, there are a number of threads out there in various 3.5 forums on how to make the best use of metamagic feats and spells like fireball. Some utterly ridiculous levels of damage can be achieved.  - Gauss
OK well thanks for all your guys help!
GM's unite against min-maxers!
I think there's been some Errata about the limits of metamagic reductions as well, such as never lowering the cost of a spell (or still being +1). There's also the sudden version which can be used once a day, without boosting casting level.