Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Is it feasible to use Roll20 (for the DM only) for an in-person game?

I've DM'd in-person (at my FLGS) and online on Roll20, and there's a lot I like about the latter.  D&D 5e Adventurers League adventures, but I would like to be able to run TYP (White Plume Mountain) and possibly Tomb of Annihilation.   How can I add Roll20 to my in-person game at my FLGS?  I have a Chromebook that runs Roll20 well. I do not have an external monitor. I don't see setting one up at the store as a viable option. I can't ask my players to bring laptops to the game.  Maybe a pico projector would work.  Any of you do anything like this? I'd like some tips if you have them.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi Dan. There are various people that use a projector with their in person games. I did a quick forum search for  projector  and came up with various threads for you to read.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
This wiki page contains some useful tips and advice: Using Roll20 while Playing In-Person
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Silvyre said: This wiki page contains some useful tips and advice: Using Roll20 while Playing In-Person I went looking for that first but missed it completely. :\
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That's a good Chromebook. I can run Roll20 on mine for the purposes of doing prep work, but I'd never trust it in a game.
I would test the wifi at your flgs before I spent a lot of time setting up a game. I have an Android tablet that runs roll20 great at home, but it was a pain to use with the store's wifi. I tried both the web browser and the android app on different nights. All of the prep work I did for that campaign had to be rewritten in a format. Assuming the internet connection can handle it, the way I have used Roll20 in person was as an organizational tool. I use it to quickly bring up NPC sheets and art assets I might want to share. I pass the tablet around with the art if someone wants a closer look (it was a cheap tablet). I draw out the maps by hand if not using a ready made physical map. My setup was quite a bit less involved than some of what was linked in the wiki. Roll20 in person was essentially a means for me to organize notes and handouts, but I was not sharing the maps from Roll20 directly in person.
Thanks for the help.   It seems, for maximum utility, I'd want a second computer running Roll20 with an external monitor or projector. Getting that set up at my FLGS probably isn't in the near future for me.   I'll talk it over with the other players and shop owner and see if we can make something work.