Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

maps on the map layer.

is it better to make a map in Photoshop and upload to the map layer or use one of the dungeon sets that has tones of puzzle like tokens to build a dungeon. does it being one large file make it run better then building the same size dungeon with a dungeon builder from the market play.
I actually think that the map as one file seems to make the session run more smooth. Maybe it's just me or my setup, but each additional item just increases the workload, so very busy maps with LOTS of deco make the session run choppy. Try out pyromancers.com for creating some pretty cool dungeon crawl maps. I sometimes use donjon to generate a dungeon and the necessary encounters and then just make it in pyromancers and upload THAT file as a map layer. There are a TON of ways to skin this cat!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The way I have seen most recommended is to build outside of Roll20 and load the resultant map. You can add a few furnishings that you think might get moved during play, such as a coffin lid or giant urn, but in general, your performance will be better with fewer individual graphics. For really large maps, I follow the recommendation to split it into 2-4 pieces, though.
Gold
Forum Champion
keithcurtis said:  For really large maps, I follow the recommendation to split it into 2-4 pieces, though. My experience has found that maps up to 5000x5000 pixels, works well as one large map file in .jpg format. That's enough for a Roll20 Page-Size around 71x71 units at 100% zoom. Anything larger than a cut-off point somewhere around 5500x5500, works better split into tiles. A very large map page in Roll20 might have up to 4 tiles this large, making 140x140 units of page size. I've run larger than that too (6 tiles this size). Once you're up to sizes like this, it's beyond what Dynamic Light can handle (DL gives warnings above 50x50 units or so, and maxes out at around 100x100 units from my experimentation so far), and Advanced Fog Of War can get laggy. However the 140x140 and larger page sizes still work beautifully (not a lot of lag, maybe a little) with regular Fog Of War on, and DL turned off.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I tend to be rather conservative in my estimates, based on inconsistent web performance, and variability among the computers my players are using. I design for the lowest common denominator whenever possible. 
Thanks for the feed back. I bought a awesome dungeon map pack, but it made so laggy reading the resources. I stream every Saturday on twitch and the lag is killer. So i opened Photoshop and started making my own tiles. Nothing professional as i'm not a artist, just a good story teller. lol. Yall have been very helpful thank you so much.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Some dungeon maps (such as those by Heroic Maps, sold elsewhere) are provided at a resolution suitable for printing (300dpi). These are horrendously oversampled for VTT use and can take forever to load. It's a good idea to take a look at the size of files (both file size in bytes, and graphic size in resolution) to see if they are likely to cause a problem. Downsample with your graphic editor of choice if need be before uploading.